Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Possible 312 interceptor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mik5150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mik5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible 312 interceptor
    Posted: September-06-2019 at 7:08pm
Hello people,
I bought a 62 Correct Craft Classic last year been sitting under a tarp till 2 months ago. I've had a little time to work on it, it's been setting for like 20 years so I pulled all the old gas out rebuild the carbs, rebuilt fuel pump, and working on wiring issues from some previous owner. I just got the ignition switch to work, and I was turning the motor over. And lo and behold it started puking oil out of the bellhousing. Can anybody tell me if this is like a wet clutch in the oil is supposed to be in there, or weather it's more likely cam plug or bad rope seal. Not sure
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2019 at 8:54pm
Mike,
Depending on what trans was on the Y block, then yes it would puke oil out the tail end. The 1st and 2nd generation Dearbomatics shared oil with the engine. They also used engine oil and pump(s) to provide pressure to activate the clutch pack pistons in the trans.

Are you sure it's a 312? 62 is pretty early for that. It could be the 292 Y block.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mik5150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mik5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2019 at 12:22am
Thehull number is a PC 179. It's got a Borg Warner Velvet Drive as170 C. The only thing I'm sure of is the firing order the cylinder numbering and thet it's got a new oil in it. The only way I know of is to pull the heads off and measure the cylinderbore.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 9:35pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2019 at 9:22am
Velvet Drive does not use oil from the engine, so your leak has nothing to do with transmission. The water jacket on the front of the engine has a series of numbers and letter that indicate what the engine was when it left the factory. If the last character is E, it was a 312. The block could have been switched out at some point, but that will at least give you a start. 312's were used in '57 T Birds, so '62 is not early for one. We have a '62 Classic with a 312, PC133.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2019 at 7:14pm
I was told by my machine shop that a 312 is best identified by the main bearing casting numbers, as these were unique to the 312 regardless of block casting used.
If you are re-sealing the engine, and the oil pan/oil pump seals and gaskets, that would be time to take a peek.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 1:41pm
If you look at the Y Block crankshaft flywheel flange, if it has the pill on the edge its a 312.
Only 312 y's have this.

Good luck with your build.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic