NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damper Plate

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 8:48am
Originally posted by nitro scott nitro scott wrote:

Is there an automotive application for a damper? Are they easy to get. Mine is looking a little worn.

No automotive application

Since you're not the original poster just to avoid confusion, he (schultz227) has a PCM transmission that takes a plate only available from PCM and you (nitro scott) can use an aftermarket plate with your Borg Warner transmission.

Search here on CCF for damper plate and you'll get plenty of results.

Or start your own thread to avoid confusion
schultz227 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 11:08am
He’s saying we can put a harmonic balancer on the front ? I have no clue and if he’s trying to cut corners I want to know
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 11:17am
Originally posted by schultz227 schultz227 wrote:

He’s saying we can put a harmonic balancer on the front ? I have no clue and if he’s trying to cut corners I want to know

Kyle,
The harmonic balancer and damper plate are two separate items.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 11:26am

Well, since you asked...................Yes, he's trying to cut corners

He got you the wrong flywheel, which you may not need to begin with if only the teeth on the ring gear are chewed up because of your starter issue like mentioned above.

He's trying to avoid the time spent pulling the transmission and bellhousing again to replace the mistake and then the reassembly takes time again too.

Basically trying to avoid doing the job over

His way will be a pretty much guaranteed nightmare
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 11:31am
He ordered from the parts store ,67 mustang 289 with 4 speed and he says no guarantees.. I hope this is the correct one .
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 11:34am
I have the 123:1 tranny Not borg Warner just FYI
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 11:35am

He ordered from the parts store ,67 mustang 289 with 4 speed and he says no guarantees.. I hope this is the correct one .

It'll work

But..............what's wrong with the old flywheel itself? Not the ring gear, the flywheel
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 11:38am

I have the 123:1 tranny Not borg Warner just FYI

Same flywheel and ring gear but uses a different damper plate than the Borg Warner.

If you had the wrong damper plate you couldn't put the thing back together
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 11:43am
That's where I was going when I asked what was wrong with the original flywheel when I asked in the second post. But I never got an answer. This guy is a clueless part changer. Is it too much to ask where did he order the second flywheel and it's part number since he confused and now offers no guarantees?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

That's where I was going when I asked what was wrong with the original flywheel when I asked in the second post. But I never got an answer. This guy is a clueless part changer. Is it too much to ask where did he order the second flywheel and it's part number since he confused and now offers no guarantees?

Quit sugar coating it Gary, say what you really think
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 11:50am
Pioneer 157 tooth W163 that’s ordered from oreilly
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 12:02pm

Pioneer 157 tooth W163 that’s ordered from oreilly

It'll work
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 12:11pm
Could not find it on O'Reilly but Summit did have it's spec's
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by nitro scott nitro scott wrote:

Is there an automotive application for a damper? Are they easy to get. Mine is looking a little worn.

No automotive application

Since you're not the original poster just to avoid confusion, he (schultz227) has a PCM transmission that takes a plate only available from PCM and you (nitro scott) can use an aftermarket plate with your Borg Warner transmission.

Search here on CCF for damper plate and you'll get plenty of results.

Or start your own thread to avoid confusion

You’re not wrong... but to add to the confusion, the current PCM 1.23 (80a) uses the same damper as the BW. There may be some family ties in the cc/Pcm/velvet drive family. The legacy pcm 1.23 (40a) that ZF built is the one with the different damper.

Like ken alluded to, you cannot undo an improper flywheel balance by changing the harmonic balancer on the front of the engine. BOTH need to match the balance of the engine’s rotating assembly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

.This guy is a clueless part changer.

Quit sugar coating it Gary, say what you really think

No sugar coating, he's a backyard hack!
Kyle,
Where did you find this "mechanic"?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You’re not wrong... but to add to the confusion, the current PCM 1.23 (80a) uses the same damper as the BW.

I did some learnin' today. Thanks for that info TRB
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 2:39pm
I'm still wondering what happened to the original flywheel
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 5:05pm
He’s got it , I’ve suggested taking the new ring gear and putting it on the old flywheel but he says it has to go to another shop of some sort to swap it and I’ll have more money in that or some bull ****
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 5:05pm
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-za503
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 5:10pm

He’s got it , I’ve suggested taking the new ring gear and putting it on the old flywheel but he says it has to go to another shop of some sort to swap

He doesn't have a torch to heat the gear? That's all it takes!

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Kyle,
Where did you find this "mechanic"?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 5:21pm
Geez. Have done that swap on the dock with a little map torch.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 6:27pm
Being naturally a little on the cheap side, I'd return both the flywheel that wasn't right and the new one that he just ordered and just get a new 157 tooth ring gear for 20 to 25 bucks or so.(with tax)

Same application 67 Mustang with a 289 and a 4 speed (some parts listings don't have the right number but an ATP ZA 503 or Pioneer FRG 157N are two good numbers to use or cross reference)

Then put it on the old original flywheel.

If your mechanic hasn't replaced a ring gear before, it'll be a good learning experience for you and him
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 6:45pm
Fire the old BBQ and throw it in there for 5min a side
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2020 at 5:06pm
UPDATE Put the new ring gear on the old flywheel, runs great.. new damper plate also.. wasted a lot of time as he had to do the job twice.. so glad I was insistent on taking it apart and using the correct flywheel as he wanted to counter balance it on the front or some s***     Thanks guys for helping me out here. Gave me some knowledge so I didn’t just do whatever he was telling me..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2020 at 5:13pm
Kyle,
Glad we were able to help and it's now running like it should. I'd say it's time to find another mechanic!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2020 at 5:33pm
I know, my local Nautique dealer will not work on my boat due to its age... ever hear of such a thing? Lol
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 10:23am
1st problem Mechanic without the knowledge to work on your boat.
2nd problem O'Reilly auto parts a good place for oil ,wiper blades or air fresheners. Not so good for real parts. Refer to 1st problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic