Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Oil/ Filters

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
93skiFrank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93skiFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Oil/ Filters
    Posted: September-09-2019 at 12:31am
I have a 93 Ski 351W and this is my first boat and want to make sure the engine stays happy the way it is. What engine oil and filters should I use? As well as other maintenance that is needed. Thanks!
Alex Frank
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2019 at 8:00am
Alex,
Welcome to CCfan. When you get a chance, take a look at the FAQ thread in the maintenance section. Lots of great subjects and great information. If you can't find an answer, we welcome you to ask. Regarding oil and filters, here's a thread from the faq thread. We love to see pictures so post some and then if you haven't already done it, submit an entry in the diary section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2019 at 12:17pm
Pete this can’t be true !!!!! The chart rates a Fram as #1
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Pete this can’t be true !!!!! The chart rates a Fram as #1

Paul,
Note that the Fram is their "Extended Guard". Yes, I still wouldn't buy their filter!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2019 at 1:08pm
What I use:

Filter
K&N 3001

Oil
Mobil 1
15W-50

Valvoline VR-1
20W-50 (full. Synthetic)

Royal Purple
HPS 20W-50

Need ZDDP “zinc” level 1,200+ ppm (for flat tappet cam)

I do a full fluid change (engine & transmission) at the end of each season for a cold lay-up.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2019 at 9:27pm
Most know I am making extra noise around Deep Lake with the other brand of slalom ski boat these days. The time has come to undo whatever the PO’s marina did or did not do. A full tuneup (iridium plugs, cap, rotor— including fuel filter, impeller, transmission, trans filter (surprise), and of course engine oil and filter. Unlike my typical Mobil 1 self, I elected to go with full synthetic but went with Rotella for the 15W-40 viscosity and ditched the Fram extended guard for a WIX under the Napa Gold brand for a filter. Of course a new impeller is going in too. The discussions on oil filters here convinced me to go for a higher end brand. It runs fine now but maybe it’ll run even better and make more noise after the once-over.
MonsterSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonsterSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 9:24am
I am running Valvoline VR1 20w50 in all my boats. I do as well add 1oz of ZDDP Maxx to about 5qts of oil to treat the flat tappet cam. VERY IMPORTANT for your engine! (like Jonny Quest says)

Transmission oil is Dexron III.
98 Ski Nautique 196 (current)
08 Mastercraft ProStar 197 (current)
88 Ski Nautique 2001 (sold)
92 Barefoot Nautique (sold)
01 Ski Nautique 196 (sold)
93 Ski Centurion Tru Trac III (sold)
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

What I use:

Filter
K&N 3001

Oil
Mobil 1
15W-50

Valvoline VR-1
20W-50 (full. Synthetic)

Royal Purple
HPS 20W-50

Need ZDDP “zinc” level 1,200+ ppm (for flat tappet cam)

I do a full fluid change (engine & transmission) at the end of each season for a cold lay-up.

JQ

+1. K&N and vr1 20/50.

D
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 5:25am
I will offer my opinion and it will cause a lot of feedback but these are boats, you run them hard when you run them so they are working much harder than an automotive engine.
I would say change the oil and filter every 50 hours of use or every season, Some don't use the boat 50 Hours in 4 seasons.
When I bought my 78 Nautique many years ago the Correct Craft Dealer told me to make sure to park the boat after every season with fresh oil in it. His comment was oil picks up carbon and acids in normal use and you don't want the engine sitting over the course of a winter, maybe 6 Mos on old oil that might etch egine bearings.   Good Advice so I follow it.

For the past 15 years or so I buy Delo or Rotella Diesel Truck oil and use it in my boats.
I normally buy the 15-40W because it is most common. It is on the shelf at every Walmart and is not expensive.   For a flat tappet camshaft, most common in our old boats it does just fine protecting from any lack of zinc for about 1/2 the price of the specialty oils.
Not saying the expensive oils are not good because they are.
For Filters, most hate Fram and I do too.   I like, Wix and Hastings but even with these you have to be careful because most filter companies sell an entry level low cost filter which is about equal to the low priced Fram.
Federal-Mogul bought a filter company a few years ago, they sell them under the Champion Brand name, looking inside one cut open they are about equal to the better mid grade filters, Decent fitration and a good anti drain back seal, I got a deal so I bought a case of them. It will last me the next 10-12 years but it was a great deal so I am fine with that and with the quality.
For me changing the oil and filter every year means only 25 hours use before oil change.
The better filters don't really show an advantage in a short term test but show a huge advantage in long term tests so this filter fits my needs. Yours may be different.
I have torn down lots of engines and been around Machine shops for the past 25 years and seen literally thousands of engines in tear down.
Engines with oil damage are from lack of oil, lack of oil change or overheat that cooked the oil. You also see a fair amount of new engine failures because people assemble them dirty, they don't clean the Tin, Oil Pan, Timing Cover, Valve Covers etc, they bolt these parts back on and if they are not really clean everything ends up in the engine bearings.
The best or most interesting Oil issue I saw was with a lady that purchased a new Chevy 1/2 ton pick up, V8 powered and then drove it 78,000 miles in 3 years.   When they told her the engine died because it was out of oil and the oil in it was like sludge she responded. " nobody told me I had to change the oil? 78,000 on original oil may be a record.
Anyone who has a good track record of changing oil won't have an oil issue.
That does not mean old engines can run the newest automotive oils because they have significantly lowered the zinc content and old engines with flat tappet camshafts need the protection of the zinc additive or ZDDP?   Delo and Rotella Diesel oil still has protection in it.
I have yet to loose a camshaft lobe so It must work.   I am approaching 900 hours in the boats I use the stuff in.   I have lots of friends with old muscle cars and they run it also.
Just food for thought, run what makes you comfortable.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 12:24pm
Here is a great video to compare oil filters. I personally use a NAPA gold Filter and Valvoline VR1 10w30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTNJLEV8CG8

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 5:38pm
Napa does not make oil filters but buys them from Wix, Wix is a good producer.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 5:42pm
I’ve switched to Napa Gold which are WIX private label. I don’t know if all NAPA filters are WIX—does anyone know if that’s the case?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 5:54pm
Napa was 100% Wix filters but my information is 10+ years old they might have changed.
If I remember correctly the Napa box would say made by Wix on the label.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Napa was 100% Wix filters but my information is 10+ years old they might have changed.
If I remember correctly the Napa box would say made by Wix on the label.

Yes, NAPA filters are still made by Wix, at least they were last year when we last checked. My family owns a few NAPA shops.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 7:21pm
Still says Wix on the box

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic