Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Wiring
    Posted: September-11-2019 at 7:27pm
Is nothing easy??? I was checking my lights and I noticed I didn't have a left turn signal...Oh boy...a reason to by LEDs for all! I installed them and STILL no Left turn signal light. OK...so to test my SUV wiring I backed up the Optima which pulls the Lyman....now I had blinkers and NOT running lights...thank God no razor blades in sight....

I have a 4 wire Pigtail off the Sportage and a 5 wire on the Ramlin Trailer....

What clever wiring trick is there to use to get everything to work??????

Do I need to rewire my trailer? Any guides on how to run new wires down the channels? Any guidance would help.... I am going to harbor freight on my way home!

I hate things that don't work correctly!

OTTO
Otto
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2019 at 8:40pm
Run wire in channel or plastic conduit. Ideally use tinned marine wire. Use high quality adhesive lined heat shrink crimp connections. DO NOT use "scotch lock" insulation displacing connections. Run a separate ground wire to all your lights. DO NOT rely on the trailer frame for a ground. Get the VOM out!!

BTW, getting LED lights doesn't solve trailer wiring problems.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2019 at 9:05pm
3- and don't use Harbor Freight for your wiring needs unless your doing it for practice, because you'll be replacing it all in another year
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2019 at 9:59pm
Yes I know!!!

I thought the light was burned out, and used it as an excuse to "upgrade!" I looked at harbor freight....it was junk. I looked at some marine trailer packages on line...does anyone have any favorites?

I like factory...anyone have any insights on pulling the wire? One at a time vs. multiple...which way should you pull...for to aft or aft to for?

nothing easy these days!
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2019 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

Is nothing easy???.

I have a 4 wire Pigtail off the Sportage and a 5 wire on the Ramlin Trailer....

What clever wiring trick is there to use to get everything to work??????

OTTO

Now why in the world would you expect a 4 wire and a 5 wire connector to work correctly together

You're the only one who knows what your connectors have for wires and what the connectors look like, so why don't you put Google to work and look for an adapter to connect the two pigtails?

Or post some pictures of what you have, if you want some useful information.

If you go about it correctly, then things will work correctly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2019 at 10:07pm

Yes I know!!!
I thought the light was burned out, !

Don't "think, get the VOM out.

I like factory...anyone have any insights on pulling the wire? One at a time vs. multiple...which way should you pull...for to aft or aft to for?

Pull as many as needed at one time. Duplex or triplex wire may also be used. Direction doesn't matter. Whatever is easiest to get the fish through.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2019 at 10:31pm
What's the towing capacity of a Sportage?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2019 at 1:14am
2500lbs! its a 2010 V6 that used to haul Greyhounds, now for the past 3 years the Nautique! I put oversized Brakes on it and it works just fine! only 15k on it so I had to find a job for it to do!

Ok I get the ground to each light...a little more work but it will always work! I will do that.

Best suppliers for such wire?????

I was thinking of attaching the wire at the back and pulling at the ball while someone feeds it in the channel from the back slowly.   Is this a flawed idea?

Best boating days on Lake Erie today and yesterday....glass and a top speed of 48.6 on the GPS...I love my boat!

Thanks for the help...want to get this done this fall so I pull and play next May!
Otto
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2019 at 1:56pm
Just did complete rewire on '82 CC trailer. Used products from etrailer.com.
Used 5-pin wire that runs the brown wire on both sides, super easy. The 5th pin is for unused auxiliary wire. Snip.
The 5-pin plugged into vehicle 4-pin (jeep wrangler) everything works.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2019 at 2:17pm
Thank you!

Did the kit come with enough wire for both sides?

Did you wrong each light?

Thanks again!
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2019 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Used 5-pin wire that runs the brown wire on both sides, super easy. The 5th pin is for unused auxiliary wire. Snip.
The 5-pin plugged into vehicle 4-pin (jeep wrangler) everything works.

It seems like it would be nice to know what Otto's 5th wire went to on his trailer before giving it the snip

Brakes come to mind (like the reverse lockout on hydraulic brakes) with that 5th wire on the trailer side

Speaking of brakes, I hope you have them Otto since no matter what you think the towing capacity is, you're a ways over it.

You say 2500 with some bigger brakes, Kia says 2000 from the factory.

What's your boat, trailer and gear weigh?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2019 at 3:36pm
A few years ago I spent sometime rewiring my Shamrocks trailer and to make it extra challenging I did it with the boat on it. Bought a harness from one of those trailer places. Since my lights are mounted on top of the rear guide posts I ran new wire to them too. Drove it 1500 miles and left everything in the carport. One year later on my return that Dam cheap Chinese wire fell apart in my hands. Next time I'm using marine wire like Pete suggested,just too labor intensive to use cheap materials.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2019 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Drove it 1500 miles and left everything in the carport. One year later on my return that Dam cheap Chinese wire fell apart in my hands. Next time I'm using marine wire like Pete suggested,just too labor intensive to use cheap materials.

Been there once many years ago.
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Brian,
I hope your rewire kit works for you and if it did come with insulation displacing connectors, I hope you didn't use them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2019 at 4:46pm
I have always wired the trailers, I have 3, with copper wire and soldered every connection and wrapped with either electrical tape or lately shrink wrap.
I make sure the 4th wire has a secure ground on the trailer.
The only failures with this set up over the last 35 years have been self induced.
Seems I find a stick, bush or rock that finds a way to reach up and break a wire every once in a while. A couple times the 4 pin connector just wears out.
Because of this known history I check lights before I tow every single time.
If daytime towing only, which is most boat trips I take I just turn on the emergency flashers.
If these work on the trailer I know I have left and right turn plus brake lights.
If towning at night I will flip on the parking lights to make sure those are working.
Simple test does not take 60 seconds start to finish before towing.
A simple 12V test light and an OHM meter can usually find any trouble issues in just a few minutes to get you back on the road.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2019 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Seems I find a stick, bush or rock that finds a way to reach up and break a wire every once in a while. .

Yup!!
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Run wire in channel or plastic conduit. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2019 at 5:05pm
8122pbrainard wrote:

Run wire in channel or plastic conduit. .

Pete, your method is probably the best option, the factory used those silly metal clips that hold the brake lines and wires for the lights. Those seem to work loose over time.   My trailer is now a DHM but I think my original Correct Craft trailer under my 78 Nautique used similar clips. I replaced by drilling small holes about every 3 feet on the bottom of my trailer frame and inserted small plastic wire ties to hold the wires and brake lines in place. Works very well but I know age will cause the plastic to fail eventually but a package of zip ties is really cheap if I have to replace them. And Trailers never rust out in the West so the holes don't concern me.   They are only 1/16" so not affecting strength of the trailer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2019 at 5:27pm
Mark,
Yes, I've seen trailers running down the road with the wiring flopping around! Those clips ether OEM or in the kits just don't work. Plus, I remember way back with that kit I used they didn't supply very many of the clips ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2019 at 12:35am
Not too worried for 500lbs. If you read most weight limitations are because of brakes
Otto
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2019 at 8:29am

Not too worried for 500lbs. If you read most weight limitations are because of brakes

You may not be worried but, if you are ever in a altercation with another vehicle, I'm sure the insurance company would have a concern.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2019 at 9:16am

You should be a little worried about your math.

Like asked previously, what's the boat,trailer and gear weigh when it's all hooked up and ready to go?

Do your trailer brakes work? You left that thread kinda hanging

Here's a link to it

link

You're the guy who flies Boeing jets and expects procedures and manuals to be right, so would you be flying a highly overloaded plane?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2019 at 11:27am
If the subject trailer is an Eagle w/5 flat plug the 5th plug is likely your reverse actuator lockout as Ken mentioned previously
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic