NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Propeller Issue 1965 Cuda

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Fiberglassic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propeller Issue 1965 Cuda
    Posted: September-14-2019 at 12:06pm
As recommended by the group, I replaced the propeller on my 54 year old Barracuda with a 1210ACME which was a half inch bigger than the original. The prop fit and performed on the boat perfectly, Thank you for the recommendation.
However it did not fit my Eagle trailer quite as well. It clips the welded skip plate under the prop and rudder.
Any suggestions of the best way to correct the situation without purchasing another propeller would be greatly appreciated. Shave the prop down a half inch? Raise the 4 bunks up a half inch? I’m all ears…Thanks, Scott
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 12:15pm
I won't comment on shaving the prop down!

lowering the prop guard is the easiest thing to do, but may cause too much scraping and dragging of the guard on the ground depending on your clearance from ground to guard. That can be slightly compensated for by dropping your hitch ball a few inches though you don't want to be too nose down.

Can you take another picture, from the back of the boat on level ground with the camera a foot off the ground, showing the whole back of the boat and trailer and the clearance off the ground?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Fiberglassic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 4:51pm
See the following pictures, I currently have about 9.5 inches clearance with the tongue down 15 inches which is my normal vehicle towing height..

Thanks...Scott

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 5:00pm
Scott,
After seeing the pictures, I agree with Dave that lowering the prop guard is the easiest. You've got lots of room to go a couple inches lower.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 5:01pm
Scott,
With the 12.5 dia. prop, how much clearance to the Cuda's hull is left?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 6:10pm
Yes, you definitely have room to lower it. Mine is quite a bit lower than that on my Ramlin. An easy method might be to grind off the welds that hold the flat stock to the bottom of the angled braces, then put spacers in and re-weld. The lenghwise piece of flat stock will just move with the cross piece in the lower position. Having said that, I might consider putting a spacer on the front of the lengthwise piece as well to maintain more prop clearance.

Even with your old prop you don't want the rudder that close to it anyway.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 7:46pm
Personally i would either sister or raise the bunks. The bunk wood and lags rot out quick here anyway. That and i dont own a welder.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2019 at 1:00am
I’m not sure that prop guard is worth much anyways... can it really take the weight of the whole boat and trailer if you high side it? Looks flimsy. I’d lower it and make it more substantial.

It is typical to see no change in hull clearance when going from a 12” federal to a 12.5” Acme such as the 1210 due to the aft rake of the blades.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2019 at 1:12am
I had the same thought Tim. That appears to be 1/2" flat stock, I would think going to 3/4" or 1" channel would be much stronger,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic