NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weird Events Yesterday

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cam05210 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cam05210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird Events Yesterday
    Posted: September-16-2019 at 12:22pm
I have a very low usage 89 2001 that I had full servicing done in July....I've filled the tank with non-ethanol fuel at the marina recently but haven't used the boat much in the past month or so until yesterday. During the servicing I had the fuel sender replaced but when I cranked it for the first time yesterday it showed practically empty. I thought this was strange as I know it wasn't this low when I put it up last, but either way, I went to the marina and ended up putting 16gallons in so it was pretty low...the sender eventually began working and showed a full tank..

I went for a short ride...it was running awesome....had some flat water and stretched its legs to 30mph or so for a short length since I had a full tank ( I don't like to run it past 20-35mph often for whatever reason). Cruised 20-30mins down the lake and then went for another short ride back to another cove when I had to slow for a large wake and when I did I thought I heard the motor kind of burp...after I got through the wake I accelerated and then the engine bogged down and choked out. It pretty much cranked back up without much effort and I made a b-line towards the dock not knowing what was going on.

I was able to get 5-600 yards with the engine sounding great and then it gurgled and died out again. This happened 5-6 more times each time getting harder to crank and sometimes I would need to use the choke...sometimes not to crank it.   I didn't have any fuel smell like it was flooded and no gas in the water and when I got to the "no wake zone" area where the dock is and I was idling for 10mins or so I didn't have a bit of trouble and the motor was running great. Even when I turned the boat off to go get the truck and load it...the engine cranked first try when I went to put it on the trailer.

I've reached out to the marina to see if they had any issues with dirty fuel or whatnot, but I'm concerned with this and hesitant to go out without better understanding or taking it in for service. Wondering if I picked up trash in the fuel filter or got some bad fuel??

Any thoughts on a direction I can take is appreciated..
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 12:29pm
Check for fuel blockages... start with the anti siphon valve.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Cam05210 Cam05210 wrote:

( I don't like to run it past 20-35mph often for whatever reason).

heh, Oh, you're one of THOSE guys...

Like Tim sez, begin with the antisyphon valve. And also look over what the monkeys touched when they serviced it.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 12:40pm
Cam,
I noticed you use the term "crank".

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

to avoid future confusion, many do mix up "cranking" the engine with it actually running (starting). Cranking goes back a few years!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 12:51pm

Cam,

to avoid future confusion, many do mix up "cranking" the engine with it actually running (starting). Cranking goes back a few years!

Hahaha, Pete - GREAT pic!

Cam - That warning is from an old crank.... so take it seriously!   
Cam05210 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cam05210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Cam,

Hahaha, Pete - GREAT pic!

Cam - That warning is from an old crank.... so take it seriously!   

LOL...I'm 18yrs+ in the car business so its habitual.....but I don't know jack about engines so guess I"ll be taking it in for service since I couldn't point out an antisyphon whatchamacallit from anything...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 2:07pm

Pete even wore long sleeved white shirts as a youngster

Right after that picture was taken the crank got him in the privates
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2019 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Pete even wore long sleeved white shirts as a youngster

Right after that picture was taken the crank got him in the privates

cuffs were monogramed with his initals....

I never read this section because I dont understand anything going on here plus Eddie does not allow me under my motor box. But since I was kinda bored this evening I checked in...interesting. Mr KENO seems very knowledgable.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 4:57am
Ken is always on point and if you figured that out in one visit you are a quick study!
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

[QUOTE=Cam05210]

(had some flat water and stretched its legs to 30mph or so for a short length){quote}

Haha.. My guess is you have fouled the plugs and plugged the main jet from dogging that poor boat around the lake like your driving to your own funeral.
30? Damn son, some boys here are still on two barrels at 30!

Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Cam05210 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cam05210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2019 at 11:55am
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

[QUOTE=GottaSki] [QUOTE=Cam05210]

(had some flat water and stretched its legs to 30mph or so for a short length){quote}

Haha.. My guess is you have fouled the plugs and plugged the main jet from dogging that poor boat around the lake like your driving to your own funeral.
30? Damn son, some boys here are still on two barrels at 30!

Wow....friendly members here...geez.. Shaming a guy for being particular about the way he treats his possessions is a welcoming environment. So yes, I am one of THOSE guys and quite proud of it. Some call it a disease,...I call it my OCD life... Don't come to my home b/c you're going to take your shoes off when you walk in the door also...LOL.

Either way....took it out again yesterday to see if it was still occurring and it ran like the first day on the water so whatever it was worked itself out. Sit down for this... because to test it, I had the lake to myself and ran it @ 30mph for about 3-4 whole minutes without a burp....I know...I was anxious doing it the whole time also... HA. Thanks for all the insightful comments...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2019 at 12:31pm

Wow....friendly members here...geez.. Shaming a guy for being particular about the way he treats his possessions is a welcoming environment.

Cam,
I feel you're taking John too seriously. Stick around and I feel you will find many here "work each other over" frequently.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2019 at 1:03pm

Wow....friendly members here...geez.. Shaming a guy for being particular about the way he treats his possessions is a welcoming environment.

Cam,
I feel you're taking John too seriously. Stick around and I feel you will find many here "work each other over" frequently.

what men do in groups for eons , a little poke in jest to see whats there, will he whine or will he join us in an inconsequential laugh together and not take himself too seriously

free hugs and safe spaces, one has to search for that elsewhere.

But after life had kicked you down, one will stand with you, the other wont
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Cam05210 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cam05210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2019 at 1:49pm

Cam,

See...now you're taking me too seriously...     Have a safe weekend...
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2019 at 4:46pm
Welcome to the site Cam.
Great group of guys with tons of knowledge.......that they willingly give away for free !
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2019 at 9:16pm
Thanks Pete.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic