Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterzing Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterzing Question
    Posted: September-18-2019 at 1:14pm
Hey guys Im looking at getting everything I need to winterize next month. Is there a special pickup tube anyone has a link to for cycling antifreeze out of a bucket?

I was planning on filling a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket with coolant and cycling that through the trans cooler intake. Should I drain water out of the block/manifolds or is cycling 5 gallons of coolant good enough?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 1:36pm
Im not a proponent of using the engine to do the job, lots of variables to go awry, and waste.

First, and most critical. Drain each side of block, and each manifold, and the iron recirc elbow if you have one. Water is the enemy, so we remove the enemy. don't rely on any dilution scheme to save the engine.

loosen and drain low hoses near your raw water pump and tranny cooler

Buy 2 gal antifreeze and direct pour, first into block, then each manifold

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 1:52pm
Thanks are the plugs to drain the block on the heads or are there other plugs?

Also what ports do you fill anti freeze into on the block?   
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 2:09pm
No, the block drains are purposefully placed low on the block, just above the oil pan rail they are 1/4 NPT brass plugs, one each side.

You can fill the block from the gazzinta, on the thermostat housing, where the water is delivered from the raw water pump

Remove the hose on the tstat housing, and replace it with another piece of scrap hose to help direct your pour into the engine.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 2:19pm
The impeller will take on a set over the winter and some vanes will not spring back. The vanes returning create the low pressure for suction, bent over, they don't return, and don't pull water. The system will loose some efficiency. Given your power levels, lots of water flow would be best, so care of the pump is warrented

Once option is to remove it from the housing for the winter and get some more life out of it. this also has the insurance of not leaving water in the pump, and risk the housing popping.
its rare because the neoprene absorbs the expansion.
That said, mercuiser plastic housings like to crack easy.

But you wouldn't want to replace your raw water pump$

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

The impeller will take on a set over the winter and some vanes will not spring back. The vanes returning create the low pressure for suction, bent over, they don't return, and don't pull water. The system will loose some efficiency. Given your power levels, lots of water flow would be best, so care of the pump is warrented

Once option is to remove it from the housing for the winter and get some more life out of it. this also has the insurance of not leaving water in the pump, and risk the housing popping.

Good info to have thanks, trying to push this off as long as possible lol
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 3:41pm
Tom's method above is sound advice. Be sure you drain everything first no matter what method you use, If you have a heater or shower that needs to be included as well.

I am a proponent of the suck up method, takes a bit more a/f doing it that way but IMO is an equally sound method. Put the pickup hose directly in the bucket or if too short splice in a small section of clear hose that get's you down into the bottom of the bucket.
Mine will use about 3-4 gallons but I have a heater and shower so a bit more capacity.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 4:17pm

No, the block drains are purposefully placed low on the block, just above the oil pan rail they are 1/4 NPT brass plugs, one each side.

You can fill the block from the gazzinta, on the thermostat housing, where the water is delivered from the raw water pump

Remove the hose on the tstat housing, and replace it with another piece of scrap hose to help direct your pour into the engine.

Not familiar with gazzinta? I’m an old guy, what’s it mean?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Not familiar with gazzinta? I’m an old guy, what’s it mean?

It's the inverse of gazzouta

To use gazzinta in a sentence you would say something like "fill the block from where water goes into the thermostat housing"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 5:03pm
Exactly, slang

the internet says made famous in Beverly Hillbillies, for math, gazintas, but I've seen it used in media earlier ...
like movie Halls of Montezuma, (1951) opening scene in the landing craft, marines discussing a small plumbing device he asked a guy to carry on him as they go ashore so they could make a still (er, booze) after things slowed down.

River Rat to Mole
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 7:44pm
Must be north of the Mason-Dixon Line. I lived in Boston 3 years but never heard it in the northeast. That was in the early 70’s so perhaps the word had not been coined at that time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 8:35pm

So how crucial is it to drain the manifolds? The plugs are frozen solid in there
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 9:08pm
I would guess you can either try to drain them and risk breaking them or let them freeze and risk breaking them. Which set of dice would you like to roll? My guess is damage from forcible drain plug removal would be minimal and repairable. Freeze damage... not so much.

I'm a noob though so definitely wait on a second opinion.
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by RealDeez RealDeez wrote:

I would guess you can either try to drain them and risk breaking them or let them freeze and risk breaking them. Which set of dice would you like to roll? My guess is damage from forcible drain plug removal would be minimal and repairable. Freeze damage... not so much.

I pressed on the breaker bar with my leg and broke them lose haha
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Crmaverick Crmaverick wrote:

Originally posted by RealDeez RealDeez wrote:

I pressed on the breaker bar with my leg and broke them lose haha

Now find the closest trash can and give them a new home and replace them with some brass 3/4 inch pipe plugs.

They don't have to be in gorilla tight either

A little sealer like thread sealer, pipe dope or teflon tape or a variety of other similar stuff helps to keep them from leaking without using much tightening force.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2019 at 10:01am

I always add a little bearing grease / brake grease to the plug threads when I install them, it can help to prevent the threads in the block from rusting.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2019 at 10:43am
The manuals in the Reference section are a wonderful thing.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2019 at 1:38pm
I replaced the 1/4" brass plugs with these (from McMaster-Carr):

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2019 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I replaced the 1/4" brass plugs with these (from McMaster-Carr):

JQ

JQ,
Hopefully you just posted the wrong picture and didn't actually use the ones pictured.. The preferred drain cock has the removable stem so you can probe the drain hole for sediment. here's the McMaster with the removable stem. Besides 1/4 NPT, they also come in 1/8 and 3/8 NPT.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2019 at 6:53pm
Yup Pete....dems are da ones. I copied the wrong pix.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
SteveZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2019 at 4:51pm
Hi all, I own a 1968 Barracuda with a 225 Chrysler engine. I removed both engine block drain plugs, the center manifold plugs and the rear hoses attached to the risers along with the 2 hoses to the water pump. My plan is now to reattach all plugs/hoses and add 70/30 antifreeze via the 2 lower inlets two the water pump. I have set up 2 hoses going from the water pump into a 5 gal bucket of the antifreeze mixture. When near the end of sucking up all the antifreeze I will fog the carb. Would that be enough to properly winterize the boat. I couldn't drain the bottom hose fro the hill cooler bit there is a bolt at the lowest part that I loosened with no water coming through. Thanks, Steve
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2019 at 5:47pm
Steve,
What's the 70/30? Are you diluting? Typical non toxic RV antifreeze shouldn't be diluted. Sucking!!!!! AF is way more complicated than needed. Pour the AF in at the T stat hose. Fog, drain and pour. I've done a few 318's in 50 years!

So you can confirm all the points that need draining, here's a link to the Chrysler manual in the refference section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2019 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
What's the 70/30? Are you diluting? Typical non toxic RV antifreeze shouldn't be diluted. Sucking!!!!! AF is way more complicated than needed. Pour the AF in at the T stat hose. Fog, drain and pour. I've done a few 318's in 50 years!

So you can confirm all the points that need draining, here's a link to the Chrysler manual in the refference section.

Hi new guy Steve

Don't mind Pete with all those exclamation points.

He really needs to clean his keyboard so that particular key doesn't stick    

Maybe you've done some reading on winterizing methods but you'll get told a bunch of different ways of winterizing including sucking in anti freeze like you're figuring on doing, pouring it in like the Pete method, using RV antifreeze or using automotive antifreeze or just leaving things drained. with no antifreeze.

Most everybody swears by "their method"

70/30 sounds like you're using automotive antifreeze which you'll get lots of comments about.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2019 at 11:41pm
Ken you left out the towing it south for the winter.......
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SteveZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 12:15am
Using straight auto antifreeze diluted with 30% water. I have the manual and all the ports have been drained. The hose to the T stat is really on there and cannot remove so I am going the water pump route. Ken you are absolutely correct in the many ways to this, everyone seems to have their own way that they swear by. The manual actually does not instruct on antifreeze for the raw water system and the guy I bought the boat from gets most of the water out and then adding a minimal amount of freeze. He charged me 25o bucks last year so that is why I'm doing myself.

Is it really important to remove the plugs and spray oil then turn over? If I get the T stat hose off and with most of the water out, isn't it not safe to run and fog and pour considering the engine would overheat? And where do I add antifreeze to the manifold? I can see some members rolling their eyes over my comments but I want to get this right and this site had the most info on correct crafts and 318's. I was also considering taking off the thermostat to ensure proper distribution.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 8:26am
Does anyone know of a marine engine manufacturer whos layup instructions utilize the AF suck up/pump through method? Most of the old ones like Interceptor, Chrysler, OMC, Gray, Chris, PCM, Waukesha, were drain only. I for years used the drain only and many still do. I laid up a Chris yesterday and only drained but with most of the old Hercules blocks hard piping prevents pouring .I could have pumped but why when draining has worked for over 70 years. The newer PCM manual in our reference section pictures drain and pour which I use when possible.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 8:29am
Originally posted by SteveZ SteveZ wrote:

Using straight auto antifreeze diluted with 30% water.

Steve,
I sure hope you use some method of collecting the AF come spring.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 9:13am
Originally posted by SteveZ SteveZ wrote:

Is it really important to remove the plugs and spray oil then turn over? If I get the T stat hose off and with most of the water out, isn't it not safe to run and fog and pour considering the engine would overheat? And where do I add antifreeze to the manifold? I can see some members rolling their eyes over my comments but I want to get this right and this site had the most info on correct crafts and 318's. I was also considering taking off the thermostat to ensure proper distribution.

What Pete is saying pretty much is like this

As a starting point the boat is in the water you've put your favorite brand of stabilizer in the gas tank, driven it around some to get the stabilized fuel into the carburetor and you're gonna put it on the trailer and winterize it

So you park it on the trailer, slowly put some fogging oil down the carburetor while it's running and when things get smoky out the exhaust you turn the boat off and the insides of the engine have a good coating of oil.

Now you can take the boat home and drain the water from the engine, the exhaust manifolds and the transmission cooler.

Put back in whatever plugs you pulled and hook up any hoses that you disconnected.

Now you can take off the thermostat cover and remove the thermostat and pour in your choice of antifreeze, whether it be automotive or RV antifreeze or boiler antifreeze

Some people will fill it to the top of the thermostat opening, some add a gallon or 2 to mix with any residual water that might be there.

And some will now be done and others might drain everything out again and leave the engine drained for the winter and any residual liquid that might be left in the system will be mixed with antifreeze and not do any damage

Now you have an engine that's fogged with oil, drained of water and has some antifreeze in it unless you drain it back out again as mentioned above.

Now the really important part for some people is to remove the raw water pump, take the impeller(s) out, put everything in a plastic bag and put it under your pillow for the winter where it will be nice and warm and cozy. I think Pete does this

I think that's kinda silly myself to have that lump under the pillow, so I put it in the nightstand next to the bed.

Like I said there are a million variations on winterizing, this is a fairly generalized version of one way that works up north and everybody will have something they do a little differently.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you drain the water out of the engine, manifolds and transmission cooler, it's hard to go wrong after that with whatever your choice is

Depending on area of the country, some people will drop the hose into a 5 gallon bucket of RV antifreeze and suck it through the engine without draining first. For some it works and for some it doesn't. You being in Massachusetts probably wouldn't want to take that chance

Get the water out first and then do that and you shouldn't have any problems

Minus 50 RV antifreeze will freeze at around 10 to 15 degrees above zero, but it doesn't expand enough to break pipes, engines etc till minus 50 as long as it's not diluted.

Diluting it can raise that burst temperature pretty dramatically.

If I fogged it through the carburetor I wouldn't worry too much about pulling the spark plugs and squirting some oil in each cylinder.

I have to go and check on my impeller and pump now   

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 9:27am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Does anyone know of a marine engine manufacturer whos layup instructions utilize the AF suck up/pump through method? Most of the old ones like Interceptor, Chrysler, OMC, Gray, Chris, PCM, Waukesha, were drain only. I for years used the drain only and many still do. I laid up a Chris yesterday and only drained but with most of the old Hercules blocks hard piping prevents pouring .I could have pumped but why when draining has worked for over 70 years. The newer PCM manual in our reference section pictures drain and pour which I use when possible.

Do you pour in what the manual tells you to Pete?

Which manual are you looking at specifically?

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 10:02am
Last winter, early spring a friend of mine found a deal at Tractor Supply on RV AF. We bought 4 cases (48 gal) for $1 a gallon. Should be set for a while.
I prefer the drain, suck up, drain method myself. Not a big fan of StaBil so I run the carb dry after siphoning the tank empty. Fog carb as it is dying. That is MY method, right or wrong. I'm sure this method will be questioned.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic