Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '79 351w Issues - From great, to bad in 2 hrs ??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'79 351w Issues - From great, to bad in 2 hrs ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 8:33pm
If you are looking to buy a new distributor, you may want to consider H.E.I. style unit and forget all about points and condenser problems. Davis Unified Ignition (www.performancedistribitors.com) make a great unit. No external coil needed. The part number for a revers-rotation unit is M35820RRRD (and, yes, it's RED).

LINK to distributor

Or

LINK 2

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

If you are looking to buy a new distributor, you may want to consider H.E.I. style unit and forget all about points and condenser problems. Davis Unified Ignition (www.performancedistribitors.com) make a great unit. No external coil needed. The part number for a revers-rotation unit is M35820RRRD (and, yes, it's RED).

LINK to distributor

Or

LINK 2

JQ

Thanks JQ - After trying to clean up the points and not getting results - I was going to ask. Does it make more sense to replace all of these parts or convert to E.I. I appreciate your recommendation and part#s.

Anyone else going to steer me either way?   I know there is an encyclopedia of threads about this.

I also know I could spend a bunch of time reviving the parts I have. But since I replaced pretty much everything else on the motor, I think I should go new.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 8:46pm
JDQF has spoken

You absolutely must get the red one

If the stretched out spring is the heavier gauge one, and has oval shaped ends, that's how it was made.

The light one affects the advance curve all by itself up to about 3500 rpm or so and then the big one comes into play.

Without seeing what you have it's hard to say if things are in decent shape but they didn't just suddenly get all screwed up on you to give the problem you have.

I'd say like you said go new since everything else is new and make Jonny happy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 8:54pm
I really like the HEI style dizzys. No external coil or resistor needed. The coil is integrated into the HEI. The Davis Unified Ignition dizzy is a 2 wire hook-up. Very simple. Tach out goes to the gray wire. 12V feed into the dizzy from a dedicated key-switched 12V source. I used a 12 gauge with an in-line fuse. Maybe a bit over-kill, but that's how I roll. The high energy coil lets you open up your plug gap to .055. You won't be disappointed. There are cheaper options out there however...

JQ / JDUI / JQF (thanks KENO!)
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 9:00pm
You forgot JDQF, I like that one the best especially in red   
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 10:31pm
Ouch, $425 for a distributor? I like the HEI option and DUI is known for a quality product but for $425 I am not so sure I would not fix the one you have.
You can take your distributor home with you when you put the boat away for winter.
Find a local shop to rebuild it or rebuild it yourself in the off season. Probably cost less than $100 for a shop to do it or less than $20 if you do it and be back in business.   It did last since 1979 so with rebuild it will probably outlast you. If you switch to high energy ignition you will want high engergy plug wires to match and high engergy ignition likes double platinum or Iridium plugs. Standard copper plugs burn up much faster in a high engergy system.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 10:37pm
Just curious because clueless. When installing a HEI, do you still have to time it afterwards ?
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 10:40pm
Yes, any distributor installation or change has to be timed.
It is not that hard but you do need to follow exact installation procedure.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 10:52pm
How about this Mark,he would just have to reuse the RR gear and it would be brand new
Link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 11:32pm
I don't know, it mentions different shaft lengths. He would have to measure against his current one. $40 is cheap for a new distributor if it really is an original Marine distributor.
Unlike cars boats don't run that many hours total use so the original distributor is probably easily fixed. Clean it up, make sure the weights and springs work properly and smooth install new points and condenser and he is running again.
If changing points and condensor is an challenge he might be a good candidate for the DUI HEI system.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 11:48pm
Something else to rule out if the timing really is jumping around.
Didnt these early Ford 351W come factory with a Nylon Timing Sprocket on the camshaft?
I know the 460 engines did and I suspect the 351W did also.
The Nylon Sprockets eventually just fracture and leave you stranded with an engine that will not run right.
The manufacturers used these for about 10 years and the reason was less cost but also they ran quieter than the steel sprockets.   They went out of favor quickly as owners were fed up with expensive timing repair bills just to change out a failed sprocket.
The Marine Engines may have speced out a Steel Sprocket for the Camshaft you will need to verify.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2019 at 7:01am
The extra shaft length doesn't matter with a stock or stock shaped oil pump intermediate shaft.

It's an extra 1/2 inch below the gear and it makes the distributor a fair amount easier to install. If Gary hits the parts collection he has squandered away and pulls out a gt40 distributor he'll find the same extra shaft length on it   

The distributor in Gary's link really is a marine Prestolite, it comes complete with a really really conservative timing curve that'll give around 18 degrees advance to go along with whatever you set the initial advance at, Using 10 initial you'll get about 28 total. Not great

I bought one a couple of years ago because,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well I'm a sicko like Gary who likes to have spare parts hanging around and it was cheap

It also needs a screwdown cap and rotor.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2019 at 7:42am
Ford used the nylon coated teeth on the upper gear well into the 80's on their marine 351W's

I'd guess that his great running engine didn't just suddenly lose the coating on a bunch of teeth while sitting for 2 months and that the issue is elsewhere without a better description of the timing fluctuations
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2019 at 12:18pm
The only thing I can think that could have caused the sudden decline in the dizzy and/or coil (if thats the problem) is the change in humidity.   Being in Colorado with no humidity the last 10 years or so may have kept the points etc. from deteriorating. Once it got back here and sat for a couple months, that was enough for the latent corrosion to take off. Only way I can make sense of it....

I too like shiny red stuff....so JQ has me sold. Hard to drop the coin, but it looks like the 'easiest' and maybe 'most reliable' solution? Ordered the HEI distributer and some Tayler H.I. wires from Summit. The Davis wires are $100, Taylor were $35....hope there isn't a huge quality difference.

If the Dizzy shows up by next weekend I should be able to get it in the boat and tested before storage.

Thanks all - will respond with results.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2019 at 4:01pm
I installed an HEI in my 1987 Malibu the first year we owned it. It worked perfect for the next 20+ years, only 750 hours use. They are a reliable and simple system and offer much better cold start up.   You just have to jump that price tag to enjoy it. I still think one hours work would have had your old distributor working so you could evaluate the rest of the engine.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

They were "born to leak"

How's the rebuild of the carburetors from the guy you sent them to?

While I'm asking questions, whatever happened to the 81 SN that went on a diet?    

I posted the carb results on the YH thread of yore. Results: no runs, drips, or errors. (thus far....it hasn't left the driveway yet).

The '81 was down to just under 1900 lbs, but in the end it felt too cramped, being roughly no larger than the Dunphy X55 (which lacks cockpit room).
I found/bought an '82 (2001) and sold the '81 for a very good price, but not until I did a complete powertrain swap. I've had 3 2001's before, but this one just flat rips. It is very solid and is cleaning up well. This boat was presented to Cyndi Benzel for winning 1982 Slalom Championship. Since it has her name on the sides and is in such great condition, I will not 'rub' on the bottom as I have always wanted to do on a 2001. There are plenty around however....
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2019 at 10:53pm
In the above link that Gary S posted about e bay distributor - wonder why the standard rotation would be $30 more than the LH rotation ? Is the RR gear hard to change ? Do you need a press or any special tools ?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2019 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Faceplant Faceplant wrote:

In the above link that Gary S posted about e bay distributor - wonder why the standard rotation would be $30 more than the LH rotation ? Is the RR gear hard to change ? Do you need a press or any special tools ?

You may be a little confused on what standard rotation is but I'm not sure

LH rotation (when looking from the rear),is normal rotation or standard rotation.

Reverse rotation is RH rotation when looking from the rear. As far as ski boats go, mostly a CC thing to be different and confuse people   

A Prestolite gear is on pretty tight from the factory and a press or puller works best to get it off.

No fair banging on the shaft or gear with a hammer unless you want to break or deform things getting the gear off.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2019 at 11:18am
I see now. There were two e bay ads for distributors.(the one that Gary S posted above with the long shaft that said LH ) and another one that said standard rotation.. Now I see that the gears are the same direction. So will the distributor that Gary S posted above with the long shaft work on my 1988 351 W as long as I reverse the gear ?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2019 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Faceplant Faceplant wrote:

I see now. There were two e bay ads for distributors.(the one that Gary S posted above with the long shaft that said LH ) and another one that said standard rotation.. Now I see that the gears are the same direction. So will the distributor that Gary S posted above with the long shaft work on my 1988 351 W as long as I reverse the gear ?

Yes

If you put your old gear on you'll be all set.
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 1:42am
Guys - Well...I...finally got the HEI (DUI) distributor installed with a ton of help - over the phone - from jonnyquest. Thanks again for the recommendation and help JQ!

Some hiccups and challenges but all in all took me about 3 hours to get in and wired.

The motor is running and idling very well. Holds a 6-700rpm idle, revs fast, starts clean. But thats all on the trailer. I'm thrilled to have it running again, and that the ignition was in fact the issue. But, there are still a few oddities that I want to shake out:
-The motor runs better when I create a 'vacuum leak' - If I pull the rubber cap off of the port under the primary bowl on my QuickFuel M600, the revs increase noticeably. Forgot to look at the tach, but I'd say it is going up from the 700RPM I'm idling at, to 1,000rpm and smooths out.
-When I get the vacuum gauge hooked up to the port the RPMs drop back down to 700 and I get a reading of 15-16 of vacuum. I have played a bit with the idle screws and this is peak - 15 to 16. My recollection from last year when I got it running after the rebuild was that 12-13 was my max vacuum I could get, even when I had it running great. -Regardless of the carb setting I do NOT get a steady reading. It is always bouncing between 15 and 16. And the engine and boat (sitting on the trailer) have a pretty good shake - kind of like it has a performance cam. If you get out and listen to the exhaust, it is steady with no lope etc., but sitting in the boat with the engine cover up it feels like a lope or stutter.
-Timing is still a bit of a mystery. When I set the new electronic Dizzy I shot for 10-15* of advance. When I fired it up with the timing light it read over 30* BTC, but ran fine. I spun the dizzy back to 12* and that actually dropped the RPMs and it seemed to run a little rougher (see above). Does that make sense?

Am I being OCD? The engine seems to be running well - I'll know more tomorrow when I get it in the lake. But the above characteristics just don't seem 'right to me.

Thoughts??

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 4:57am
In the water your engine will be loaded by torque on the prop when you drop in gear. You need a strong idle to do that without stalling.   The factory says 10* at idle is a good number so start with that.   Increasing your timing or introducing a vacuum leak will increase your idle on the trailer but most likely cause stalling on the lake.
If you do not like your idle speed with the timing set at 10* adjust your idle not your timing.
This is best fine tuned on the water.   If your idle is too low you will stall putting it in gear. If you are too fast it will slam into gear each time.
For performance you will also want to check and see how much advance your new distributor is giving you and at what RPM it stops advancing. Then you can fine tune.
Mark
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Off Trail Off Trail wrote:

Guys - Well...I...finally got the HEI (DUI) distributor installed with a ton of help - over the phone - from jonnyquest. Thanks again for the recommendation and help JQ!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 9:39am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

And I managed to do it all in the driveway without getting rained (or snowed) on! Unheard of for Northern Wisconsin in mid-may.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 12:18pm
All normal. Yes too much initial advance will increase rpms. but thats inconsequential. One doesn;t don't ski at idle.
So is adding air at idle. Ripems will go up. Doesn't mean its right. It will fall on its face in gear and stumble off-idle
Yes, i also suspect some overthinking.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:18pm
If you've got a shake at idle you may have a misfire. Could be a fouled spark plug from your previous ignition issues, or you may have put a wire back into the wrong place on the new distributor.

If it still shakes/skips after you verify firing order and correct wire installation, unplug your plug wires one at a time. If you unplug one and notice zero difference, that plug is fouled. Pull the plug - if it's wet, it is fouled and will not fire.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2020 at 1:38am
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

If you've got a shake at idle you may have a misfire. Could be a fouled spark plug from your previous ignition issues, or you may have put a wire back into the wrong place on the new distributor.

If it still shakes/skips after you verify firing order and correct wire installation, unplug your plug wires one at a time. If you unplug one and notice zero difference, that plug is fouled. Pull the plug - if it's wet, it is fouled and will not fire.

I'm not sure the stutter is that bad, and it runs 49.5mph at 5200-5300RPM (going to try my 'taller prop') so I can't imagine it is running on 7 cylinders. But, simple test and good recommendation, so I'll pull wires and check.

By the way - The plug wires that Summit Racing recommended with this dizzy DO NOT fit well. I have two running over a valve cover, through exhaust manifold, just to make connection. Going to have to replace those.

If pulling wires doesn't change anything, i will do some carb tuning and call it a day. This new ignition is starting first crank, no hiccup on idle to hard full throttle. Happy I spent the money on the DUI.....though I'm sure someone will say I could have gotten the same result with 2 hours of work on the old dizzy. Ill post a picture at some point - it was rough.

Appreciate all the help and advice and hope I don't need to be on here for help for a while!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2020 at 9:27am
Magstar wires are good and know marine lengths. Just put some on last night, after noticing my 'new' wires had gotten 21 years old.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2020 at 10:43am
Wires just don't go bad specially with the hours you guys put on your boats. My Avalanche had over 2500 hours before the plugs and wires were replaced on it's 100k service. I have a 73 year old Ford tractor with it's original wires on it, several 50 year old Honda motorcycles with their originals on. If you guys are replacing your old oem red GT40 wires send them my way I'll pay shipping
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2020 at 11:34am

I'm not sure the stutter is that bad, and it runs 49.5mph at 5200-5300RPM (going to try my 'taller prop') so I can't imagine it is running on 7 cylinders. But, simple test and good recommendation, so I'll pull wires and check.

By the way - The plug wires that Summit Racing recommended with this dizzy DO NOT fit well. I have two running over a valve cover, through exhaust manifold, just to make connection. Going to have to replace those.

Prop = I would want a prop where W-O-T tops out at 5,000 RPMs.

Spark Plug Wire Length = I like to make my own plug wires for this very reason.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic