Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '79 351w Issues - From great, to bad in 2 hrs ??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'79 351w Issues - From great, to bad in 2 hrs ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '79 351w Issues - From great, to bad in 2 hrs ??
    Posted: September-27-2019 at 7:32pm
I have a '79 Ski with the 351w Commander in it. Last winter I did GT40p's, roller rockers, performer intake, and brand new QF600 carb. I ran the boat a bit at home in colorado at 8,200ft of elevation just to make sure it worked, then re-jetted back to sea level and brought it to Wisconsin for 2 weeks in August.

I got the carb dialed in within a couple hours and put another 10-15 hours on the boat over 2 weeks - and it started and ran great the whole time. It was over-revving slightly with the Acme 540, so I talked to Acme and ordered a 430. I had siphoned the tank dry before the trip and filled it with only non-e premium. Put the boat away dry when I left.

Went back to colorado for almost 2 months and just got back to Wisconsin yesterday. Pulled the boat out of storage, put the new prop on, topped it off with non-e premium and took it to the launch. It backfired once on startup, but then seemed to run pretty normally as I left the launch.   Within about 15-20 minutes I noticed a very slight stumble on acceleration, but it cruised and idled fine.   Continued driving for another hour or so and the stumble on acceleration became more and more noticeable, and it started to stumble slightly at idle. Turned around and headed back to the launch. By the time I put it on the trailer it had a slight shudder at idle that couldn't be adjusted at all with the mix screws and wasn't running right at any speed under 3k rpm.

Pulled it out, did some research, and did a visual check of everything. Crossed my fingers (wishful thinking) that somehow the prop had too much pitch and was causing the stumble. So I put the 540 back on and went to the launch. As soon as I started the boat it had a noticeable shudder at high idle and didn't want to idle below 900-1,000 rpm. Played with the mix screws, checked visually for vacuum leaks like a hose off etc. (didn't have my gauge with me) and gave up after about 10 minutes. Since the engine was warm and I was due for my fall oil change, i drained and filled the oil - noticing a slight gas smell in oil that was only 3 months and 15 hours old.

I did a bunch of reading last night and decided I needed to check my timing, choke operation, and look at the plugs. Checked a few plugs before starting it and there was a lot of variation between them but none looked terribly black. Definitely signs of rich condition on some, but others looked about perfect.

Did a quick start and let it stall, but visually the choke seemed to be operating correctly - slowly opened all the way up after I had started it (its about 55* out today).

Brought the boat home and fired it up on the trailer and it was running really rough. Had to crank the idle up to 900+ rpm to keep it running and it was definitely shaking. I could get it to clean up with throttle but it never sounded quite 'right'. Checked the timing and found it to be about 12* BTDC. Noticed (by accidental slip) that if I advanced to 16-20* it idled much smoother, but didn't keep it there for more than a few seconds. Put it back to 11/12* and tightened the distributor back down.

Shut the boat off and pulled each plug, one at a time, to find the following.
#1 - Black and sooty (much worse than before the 5-10 minutes of idling on the trailer
#2 - Brown, definitely rich but not nasty
#3 - Tan, slightly rich
#4 - Similar to #2, but actually had wet gas on it
#5 - Black, nasty
#6 - Black, nasty
#7 - Tan, slightly rich but clean
#8 - Brown, rich, but not black

I'm at a loss. Clearly seams to be getting too much fuel, but big variation between cylinders. Was a pretty quick deterioration with no physical changes to the motor. I have an almost brand new carb on there with clean fuel and a new fuel filter since day 1 (only 15-20 hours of run time on any of it). And about the timing - should it even run at ~20* BTDC?? Weird.

Only theories I can come up with from reading are:
1) Ruptured power valve from one light backfire - Seems very unlikely, and does the new QF600 even have these?
2) Gunk in the carb - doesn't seem to fit the symptoms well, and it is a brand new carb with good fuel from day one, a brand new fuel filter from day 1, etc etc.

Any thoughts/recommendations/theories? Help!
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2019 at 7:36pm
Maybe worth mentioning - float levels in the QF600 look normal, right where I set them in August.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2019 at 7:59pm
Any fuel spilling over from the primaries or secondaries if you look down with the flame arrestor off?

That would go along with theory #2. Your description of not cleaning up till higher RPM's sounds like fuel spilling over

Jonny Quick Fuel had trouble with his when metal shavings (probably an extra bonus from the factory) messed up his carburetor and it needed some cleaning.

I'd pull the bowls preferably to look at things and unscrew the needle and seat assemblies, blow everything out and try it out again.

Since you rejetted for low elevation, I'd check that your jets are in tight and everything looks as it should

The Quick Fuel has a power valve but it shouldn't have been affected by the backfire.

And.........borrow a vacuum gauge if yours isn't readily available since it could also be a vacuum leak based on those symptoms. Maybe the base gasket between the carburetor and manifold and spacer if you have a spacer which I think you do.

Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2019 at 8:07pm
Thanks Keno. I did have the SA removed the whole time I was checking the timing and looked in there. Did not see any fuel flowing anywhere above the butterfly. I didn't advance the throttle enough to see past the butterfly while it was running, is that something I should do before I tear it apart?

Looks like I get to take apart a brand new carb in the morning....
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2019 at 8:21pm
When you take the carburetor off, look at the gaskets first before digging into the carburetor since you're not seeing any spillover.

Do you have the flat plate about 1/8 inch thick between the Performer intake and the carburetor.

Performers and Holleys or Quick Fuels don't mate up real well without one of those plates.
The plate comes with 2 wide gaskets that give good mating with the manifold and with the carburetor.

Edit I found an old post where you mentioned having the plate and gaskets, but it's easy to check them when you take the carburetor off.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2019 at 10:02pm
I'm going with vacuum leak.
Strong correlation with described symptoms.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2019 at 10:25pm
Are the jets in it now what it came with?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2019 at 11:13pm
Since the problems all started with a backfire I am thinking it may be timing. Not idle timing but a stuck distributor advance mechanism.
With the timing light hooked up and your engine at idle, coolant supply hooked up or sitting on the water rev your engine as you watch your timing.
It should advance from your idle setting of 12* as the RPM goes up.
It should advance smoothy from 12 at 600 RPM and max out at 32-34* at 4,000 RPM or so.
It should advance the same each and every time you rev the engine. If it does not do this it is rusty or stuck. When advance sticks your engine will run lousy.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 12:50am
Some good suggestions but wouldn’t rule out a bad tank of fuel. How does it smell?

430 is most likely too much prop for that combo, I’d be surprised if the 540 wasn’t better for it. How did you determine it was “over-revving”?
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 12:54am
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

I'm going with vacuum leak.
Strong correlation with described symptoms.

I know vacuum leaks can be hard to track down. I will check the carb gaskets but am pretty confident those are good - brand new set, installed in the right order, torqued properly etc.

Any other places to look - knowing that it developed pretty suddenly and worsened quickly?

Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 12:55am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Are the jets in it now what it came with?

Yes, and as I said, ran great for 10+ hours as it is set up right now before the problems developed.
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 12:59am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Since the problems all started with a backfire I am thinking it may be timing. Not idle timing but a stuck distributor advance mechanism.
With the timing light hooked up and your engine at idle, coolant supply hooked up or sitting on the water rev your engine as you watch your timing.
It should advance from your idle setting of 12* as the RPM goes up.
It should advance smoothy from 12 at 600 RPM and max out at 32-34* at 4,000 RPM or so.
It should advance the same each and every time you rev the engine. If it does not do this it is rusty or stuck. When advance sticks your engine will run lousy.

Sounds pretty easy, so I'll check this out. But shouldn't it idle properly - especially since I have verified correct advance at idle? It is definitely not idling properly any more.

Not questioning the recommendation, I'm just starting to understand timing and most if it is still over my head.
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 1:19am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Some good suggestions but wouldn’t rule out a bad tank of fuel. How does it smell?

430 is most likely too much prop for that combo, I’d be surprised if the 540 wasn’t better for it. How did you determine it was “over-revving”?

On the first point - the fuel is a collection of several fill-ups. The first 14 gallons were in it from the prior visit when it was running well.   I just topped it off with 6 gallons this trip.   I wouldn't think 6 gallons of questionable fuel would be enough throw off the whole tank. And it was from a big, busy BP station that sells non-e premium so I have some confidence in their fuel. So, will do the smell test tomorrow, but not real likely.

With the 540 the boat shot out of the hole and went straight to 5,300 RPM (assuming my jittery gauge is accurate). The boat was only running about 46.5-47 on the gps.

Before the boat started running poorly yesterday, i did get a speed run in with the 430. Still came out of the hole great and run up to 48.5-49 mph, with 2 people and a full tank of fuel.   Haven't tried pulling a skier but the 430 seems like the right prop otherwise.

I know this doesn't make a ton of sense, and based on others results with the 540 - if I'm spinning the 430 at proper revs I should be running in the low 50's mph easily. And the 540 should have been pushing me 49-50 with revs over 5k. Right?
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 1:23am
Could be a distributor that has a mucked-up advance mechanism.

On the QF M-600 were is the fuel level in the float bowl sight glass? On my M-600 I had the float level set at the lower 1/4 of the sight glass with good results at altitude. (4,400 to 6,000 feet of elevation)

Did you use a carb sealing plate on top of the Edelbrock manifold?

LINK to Carb Sealing Plate

Johnny QuickFuel
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Could be a distributor that has a mucked-up advance mechanism.

On the QF M-600 were is the fuel level in the float bowl sight glass? On my M-600 I had the float level set at the lower 1/4 of the sight glass with good results at altitude. (4,400 to 6,000 feet of elevation)

Did you use a carb sealing plate on top of the Edelbrock manifold?

LINK to Carb Sealing Plate

Johnny QuickFuel

The front bowl is at about 1/4-1/3rd, the rear is about 1/2-2/3. I did use the adaptor plate with gaskets. Is that what you mean?   I have manifold-gasket-plate-gasket-factory riser-gasket-carb.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 3:27am

I know vacuum leaks can be hard to track down. I will check the carb gaskets but am pretty confident those are good - brand new set, installed in the right order, torqued properly etc.

Any other places to look - knowing that it developed pretty suddenly and worsened quickly?

[/QUOTE]

You mentioned installing an aluminum Performer manifold on the iron heads?
If that is right, you would have needed to retorque the intake by now.
Another place to check is the front and rear intake end gaskets, or sealant bead.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 4:28am
A rusted and sticking distributor can present in many ways.   I think the distributor allows about 22 degrees of advance, + or - 2 degrees, I did not look up the exact number.
It can stick at any position. Take your base timing you set at 11 or 12*. Add the centrifical advance number of 22* and your total timing is at 33-34*.   It can stick anywhere from idle to full advance. A sticky one can give you advance sometimes and not others or stick inbetween somewhere. Symtoms will vary depending on where it is stuck or sticking.
One of my distributors stuck once, a buddy's distributor stuck once and we have seen it happen to others on this forum. The boat is a 1979, the two I know of were a 1987 and a 1989. The advance springs can also rust out and break causing similar issues.
It is a 3 minute test to rule it out.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 8:02am
All this distributor talk and nobody knows for sure what you have for a distributor

The picture below is your distributor from an earlier thread. before the engine work It shows a Prestolite distributor with a clip down cap and that one wire coming out of the housing going to the coil just screams that it has points in it.

I don't see anything saying that you did anything to the distributor in any of your posts

So unless you changed the distributor or the internals, when's the last time the points got checked?

Plenty of times an ignition problem looks like a fuel problem (and the other way around too)

So.............you have choices like what to go after first

You say there's no overflow into the throats, so I think the carburetor cleaning moves down the list and the first thing should be the gaskets between the carburetor and spacer plate(s) that you have and the manifold since it's pretty easy.

Then a look at the ignition system including the stuff under the cap and also the coil It could be as easy as a point cleaning/adjustment or a coil that's "not too healthy"

Then if you've had no luck, do the carburetor cleaning

You know what you've done and not done, so you might decide to change the order based on things like your confidence level that the gaskets are all good and sealing properly or maybe the ignition system has gotten no real attention at all.

Who knows, maybe you slapped a new distributor in there and I missed that part   

Originally posted by Off Trail Off Trail wrote:

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 8:07am

Another place to check is the front and rear intake end gaskets, or sealant bead.

These gaskets or sealant beads leaking won't cause a vacuum issue, but they will let oil leak out all over the place and make a mess.
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 11:54am
Keno and MrMcD - I do still have that original distributor from the photo above. And Keno - you are correct, I didn't touch the thing (didn't even open it up) until yesterday when I was trouble-shooting.

It definitely didn't look great inside - some rust/corrosion laying in the bottom, and some corrosion on the points. The metal was, however, clean where contact was made. I sprayed a little wd40, brushed things off and closed it back up. Coil looks original as well. I'm wondering if the dry air in the mountains allowed them to keep working, but the humidity in the midwest the last 2 months accelerated the corrosion enough to start affecting things.

Never worked with a points system, so this is going to take some figuring out. I'm thinking I should replace both of these, as they are the only real critical parts that I did not replace with the rebuild. Just not sure how quickly I can get ahold of replacements.

Will also torque down the manifold - I was thinking that was single-torque like the head studs.

Going to open up the bowls on the carb just for fun. Seems like a jet loose or falling out is a real possibility. That has happened to me on other small engines and worth a look.

Heading out to start poking around.

Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 12:50pm
Vacuum looks to be just fine based on the gauge. It is a bit hard to get a good reading with the engine loping but it looks to be about 12-13 as close to idle as I can get it to run. On throttle it runs up.

I advanced the timing a bit. Can't get it to idle at 600 rpm so I'm setting it at about 12-13 at 750. The timing does seem to be jumping around. And on rev-up it only seems to go up to about 25*. It does ramp up in a pretty linear fashion though. Maybe MrMcD's theory is correct, or at least that is part of the issue. Definitely seems dizzy related.

Okay, now I'm being lazy and not researching - can I just pull that bolt that I loosened to turn the dizzy, pull the diz straight out, put a replacement dizzy in and clock it similar to this one, and then dial the timing with the light? Or is there more to the process?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

These gaskets or sealant beads leaking won't cause a vacuum issue, but they will let oil leak out all over the place and make a mess.

That's right, of course...

No wonder my carter YH's leak...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 2:01pm

That's right, of course...

They were "born to leak"

How's the rebuild of the carburetors from the guy you sent them to?

While I'm asking questions, whatever happened to the 81 SN that went on a diet?    
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 2:14pm

They were "born to leak"

I guess mine and most other YH's were born on different days since no leakers!

Yes Brian, how's your YH project going. Anything back yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Off Trail Off Trail wrote:

Vacuum looks to be just fine based on the gauge. It is a bit hard to get a good reading with the engine loping but it looks to be about 12-13 as close to idle as I can get it to run. On throttle it runs up.

I advanced the timing a bit. Can't get it to idle at 600 rpm so I'm setting it at about 12-13 at 750. The timing does seem to be jumping around. And on rev-up it only seems to go up to about 25*. It does ramp up in a pretty linear fashion though. Maybe MrMcD's theory is correct, or at least that is part of the issue. Definitely seems dizzy related.

Okay, now I'm being lazy and not researching - can I just pull that bolt that I loosened to turn the dizzy, pull the diz straight out, put a replacement dizzy in and clock it similar to this one, and then dial the timing with the light? Or is there more to the process?

That distributor won't reach full advance till about 4000 rpm, not sure how high you ran it up while checking.

Are both advance springs intact and the flyweights can move ?

I'd run some fine sandpaper, a piece of a paper bag or even a piece of paper lightly through the points even if you think they look good. You might be surprised

If you're gonna put another distributor in, remember that you have a reverse rotation engine and the gear is for reverse rotation. Depending what you're wanting to put in the gear might need swapping.

People have broken gears and distributors trying to get the gear off. It's a pretty tight fit on the Prestolite. No fair using a hammer on the gear

But yes......you can pull one out, clock the other one the same and be close on the timing
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

They were "born to leak"

I guess mine and most other YH's were born on different days since no leakers!

Yes Brian, how's your YH project going. Anything back yet?

I knew you'd show up with a witty comment Pete
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 4:16pm
If you have never pulled a distributor do a little reading first.
You don't need to take the dist out to clean the weights or change the springs, it can be done in place. We fixed one parked on the beach for a buddy.
Points and condensors are a wear item and do not last forever.   If you forget your key turned to the on position while your engine is not running the points can frost over in a short amount of time.   
I am not a fan of using WD 40 inside a distributor. It will help free things up but is more of a cleaner than a lubricant and after the fact it attracts dirt and is detramental. If you use it to free things up clean it after your done. Maybe laquer thinner or something to remove residue.   As Ken said clean the parts with emery cloth or fine sand paper so the advance weights operate smoothly.
Follow the advice to check the advance springs, they control your mechanical advance.
They are under the plate your points and condensor mount to.
One buddy bought a brand new Malibu Sunsetter, it had a standard distributor with points, he kept it outside, his cover was not the best and the boat got soaked inside. The following year he could not make it run right. The moisture had rusted his advance plate and wieghts. It happens, not a bid deal to fix if that is what you face.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 4:24pm
Ken posted this information in another thread. Off Trail it sounds like this engine will be in need of the same parts. Might save you time looking them up.

Here are some Sierra numbers for ignition parts for your 88 which should be the screw down cap distributor. These numbers work for getting parts from NAPA with a NAPA label on them.

Points 18-5303

Condenser 18-5347

Rotor   18-5403

Cap   18-5352

The older clip down cap uses the same points and condenser but the cap and rotor are different.

Here are part numbers for the cap and rotor for the clip down cap

Cap 18-5369
Rotor 18-5407

They'll also sell you a coil for either distributor, same coil for both and the part number is 18-5435 but it's a little (Ok a lot) pricier than the coil mentioned earlier in this thread. It's the package that says "marine" that magically jacks up the price.   

You could also get parts or a kit from SkiDim, NautiqueParts or a variety of other marine outfits   
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 7:59pm
Thanks all. Headed out to sand/wipe the points, pull the plate to see what's under the plate, and give it one last shot.
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 8:11pm
Pulled the plate and one spring looks worn out (stretched out) but the other one is tight and the 'cams' are closing when stationary. Very possible that once it starts spinning only one spring is not enough to keep it tight.   The distributor is generally in rough shape and corroded, so I think I'll call skidim on Monday and get the distributor, coil and condensor in before I pack the boat away in a week.

Hard to put a boat away not working right.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic