NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hydro Gate or Trim Tabs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydro Gate or Trim Tabs
    Posted: September-28-2019 at 9:16pm
I was reading an interesting thread on Balls of Spray where someone was asking about adding a single large center trim tab or 2 smaller port/starboard trim tabs as a after-market wake improvement option. I skied behind an older Tigé direct-drive tug had a center tab thing called TAPS.

So, I was wondering if anybody as added a CC Hydro Gate or trim tab(s) on their Ski Nautique. Could a Hydro Gage be retro-fit to an older Ski? Thoughts?

Got the popcorn ready....

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 4:10pm
Also interested in this idea. Thanks for asking.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
1995 Nautique Super Sport
https://www.instagram.com/longhorn_nautique/
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 6:02pm
Can something be bolted on? Definitely.

What exactly do you mean by “wake improvement”? How might a gate/tab/plate achieve that (ie, what specific interaction are you trying to cause, remove, accentuate, etc)?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 12:32pm
I'm actually interested in this idea as the hydro-gate does significantly impact the wake on my 200. If you are motoring along at 25 or 30 MPH and you move that lever from "Slalom/Cruise" to "Trick/Jump" the nose of the boat visibly rises and a trough appears in front of the rooster tail (which isn't much of a rooster tail at all). It is very noticeable. However, I believe that the hull of the 200 is designed with that hydro-gate in mind as there is a visible tunnel that leads to the spot where the hydro-gate sits. Does anyone know off the top of their head when the hydro-gate was introduced on the Ski Nautique model?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 1:24pm
2006 I believe, on my 05' 206 there is a similar tunnel and then a gel hook at the stern.
In 06' they essentially eliminated the hook and added the gate in it's place.
If you did not get the optional "Hydro Gate" they simply fixed the plate to the hull.
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 1:39pm
I have been looking into this. While the older Ski/Sport TSC1 hulls are different, the rear of the hull is very similar to the later model 216 direct drive and 210 v drive. Both of those models were offered with a hydrogate. If you look at the below pictures between the rear of my 1999 sport vs the 216/210, they look very close. The whole hydrogate assembly can be purchased from Nautique parts. While the dimensions may not be the same between models, the profile of the rear of the hull looks very similar. You could easily use the hydrogate assembly and have a plate cut to match the profile of your hull. I think it could work.

https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/hydro-gate-kit-complete/
https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/hydrogate-polished-3-part-assembly-216-226-2011-196-206-2009/

1999 Longhorn Nautique
1995 Nautique Super Sport
https://www.instagram.com/longhorn_nautique/
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

What exactly do you mean by “wake improvement”? How might a gate/tab/plate achieve that (ie, what specific interaction are you trying to cause, remove, accentuate, etc)?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 4:05pm
If memory serves me correct, the Ballofspray member who added a "tab" owns an 80's MC and wanted to knock down "spray aka prop wash.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 5:15pm
The OP lists ski nautique, no year

Some years later a baller with '13 VTX inquires recently about tabs

I inquire further about the mods demonstrated by a MC owner
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Can something be bolted on? Definitely.

Tim:

A ski buddy has a mid '80s 2001. I ski behind it on a regular basis, but the wake is nowhere near as good as on my '94 NWZ hull. I was wondering about options for improving a so-so slalom wake on the 2001 -- maybe a Hydro Gate or a trim tab similar to the Tigé TAPPs system. Maybe It's just wishful thinking, but I was looking for a not-too expensive upgrade for better slalom wakes.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 10:19pm
I had a '95 SN that leaned left. I took it to dealer (West Coast Correct Craft) and they took it, me, and several new '97's to fine tune for tournament certification. After bubble-testing for level, they added a very slight 'ramp' to the left side of the transom, the very back. It worked. Level ride, even wake.
So, using bondo at first, I put 'ramps' on both sides of the 'pad keel' on my last 2001.
Wow! Cut wakes by 1/3. I'm going to do it again to my current 2001, and will report here.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
DW1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2019 at 12:45am
For testing, you can use a bondo spreader and shrink wrap tape to tune the height of the ramp then bondo for the finished ramp.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2019 at 11:01am
Seems major variations on 2001 low-wake performance

by and large, they go by and i say ugh
But then sometimes one goes by and i say wow, thats what many did when new
Likely dry bones, no crap inside, and some lucky unicorn farts in the distribution of variance
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic