Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 Fuel Delivery Issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 Fuel Delivery Issue
    Posted: September-29-2019 at 7:43pm
I could use some help from the GT40 gurus here.

The last 3 times I’ve had the boat out I am experiencing the same issue: I put the boat in the water and for the first run of the day it runs like a scalded dog. Then we stop to hang out for a while. It will start back up fine, but a few minutes later will die and not restart. It sounds like it’s not getting fuel, so today I brought a pressure gauge and sure enough there is no fuel pressure on the rail.

I have checked connections in the line leading up to the low pressure pump. All look clean as a whistle including the anti siphon valve. I am getting 12 volts to the fuel pumps and I can hear/feel them turn on when I turn the key. I pulled the outlet hose from the low pressure pump to the FCC and it’s dry/no fuel pumping when Ii turn the key.

I read on here that a failing low pressure pump may still power on despite being bad. Given that it’s first in the line and I’m not getting anything out of it, is it safe to assume it’s bad?
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2019 at 8:24pm
There is a screen inside the top of the LP pump, you have to remove its top. While your in there you can check to see if the vanes of the rotor are free to move, they are metal but act on the same theory as the fresh water pump. If even one is stuck the pump will have trouble pumping. Somewhere on the site I have posted the instructions on how to do all this, I’ll look when I get a chance. If this does not fix it you can buy a new pump it’s a Carter P4389 and is way cheaper than. PCM rebranded one
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2019 at 8:41pm
Gary has giving good advice for the Low Pressure Pump. My boat is a 95 but has an in line filter in the fuel line right under the rear of the engine cover on the passenger side.
Your 99 may have one also.
You can also pull the Low Pressure Pump supply line and see if fuel will vacuum out of that line. It should flow freely to feed the LPP.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2019 at 9:16pm
It seems all the first gt40’s had those filters- soon as they went to the FCC’s they took them off for awhile. With them off anything that filter would stop now goes into the LP
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2019 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by cboland cboland wrote:

I have checked connections in the line leading up to the low pressure pump. All look clean as a whistle including the anti siphon valve.

Did you pull the suction line out of the tank and see if there's a little screen at the bottom of the suction line or did you just unscrew the anti siphon valve and check that it was clean?

You didn't specifically mention it like you mentioned the anti siphon valve, so I figured I'd ask

See the thread in the link below for a picture of a plugged little screen that caused similar symptoms. It keeps junk from getting into the anti siphon valve

link
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2019 at 11:00pm
If you follow Ken's advise above and you have found nothing and it still does not pump here are the instructions on what to do with that low pressure pump-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2019 at 11:54pm
Thanks, everyone. All very helpful.

I didn’t even think to try and suction the LPP supply line. That would be an easy check. I tried pulling the suction line out of the tank, but it’s location in the tank is directly underneath the cross member of the deck of the boat. I could pull it out about 6 inches but couldn’t bend it enough to get it all the way out. I did blow compressed air down it to try and unseat anything that could be stuck to the bottom. Given the specific fact pattern of all 3 days and how the issue keeps happening, it seems highly likely that it’s a pump issue. After looking at some other threads, it looks like my symptoms of failing when hot are typical of a failing LPP.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 7:55am

The last 3 times I’ve had the boat out I am experiencing the same issue: I put the boat in the water and for the first run of the day it runs like a scalded dog. Then we stop to hang out for a while. It will start back up fine, but a few minutes later will die and not restart. It sounds like it’s not getting fuel, so today I brought a pressure gauge and sure enough there is no fuel pressure on the rail.

I have checked connections in the line leading up to the low pressure pump. All look clean as a whistle including the anti siphon valve. I am getting 12 volts to the fuel pumps and I can hear/feel them turn on when I turn the key. I pulled the outlet hose from the low pressure pump to the FCC and it’s dry/no fuel pumping when Ii turn the key.

I read on here that a failing low pressure pump may still power on despite being bad. Given that it’s first in the line and I’m not getting anything out of it, is it safe to assume it’s bad?

So you're saying that if you pull the hose from the LPP to the FCC, it will pump when the pump is cold and won't pump when it's hot?

What if you don't stop and hang out, will it eventually quit?
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 9:42am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

So you're saying that if you pull the hose from the LPP to the FCC, it will pump when the pump is cold and won't pump when it's hot?

What if you don't stop and hang out, will it eventually quit?

Good question. I can’t say for sure if it would eventually go out if I just kept running, but each of the 3 times it’s happened we have been riding around for a lengthy time. Probably 45 min at least and it ran great. It just happens that the one time it wouldn’t start and I pulled that hose off there was no gas pumping. When i pulled it and it would start there was gas. The very first time it happened I pulled the hose off the anti siphon valve thinking that was clogged and when I connected it back up it started. Maybe just a coincidence on that one.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 10:25pm
Just me but I think I'd cruise around in a small area near the ramp for maybe 1 1/2 hours just to pick a number, or till I got dizzy or tired and see if it runs the whole time or eventually dies
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 10:46pm
Don't waste that valuable time drivin in circles alone- pull a tube.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 1:52am
Or take a friend in a nice Bikini! Could help time go much faster!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 10:48am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Or take a friend in a nice Bikini! Could help time go much faster!

Ah the old Sorry babe I didn't know what happened it seems like my fuel pump just died trick - take the fuel pump apart and clean it out - before you burn out the motor.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 5:00pm
Good point, these fuel pumps are fuel lubricated. They will burn up quickly if run dry.
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 5:08pm
You guys are true experts. Even going so far as to suggest I bring Pete to tube and a bikini clad woman. Thank you.

I’ll get to work this weekend. Though for $70 I’m inclined to just start fresh with a new pump.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 6:03pm
I want to see you pulling bikini clad Pete in a tube
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 6:48pm

I've always wondered about your SO!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 9:52pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 10:26pm
LOL !
Sounds like you are on the right track Bud......with the pump issue that is.
Not so sure about Pete and the tube.
Better leave the bikini part to your beautiful wife !
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2019 at 12:25am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I've always wondered about your SO!!

it's probably a good thing that I don't have a clue about how to use photoshop, otherwise we'd be seeing Pete in a bikini
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2020 at 8:53pm
For the benefit of others facing a similar issue, I want to close the loop on this and provide the solution.

I ended up replacing the LP pump. Despite hearing the old pump power up when key was turned on, the fuel pressure gauge indicated no pressure and when I pullled the output hose off the LP pump there was nothing coming out.

So, moral of the story is do not assume a pump is working just because you hear it power up.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
Aengenend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aengenend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 10:28am
Quick dirty fix for the LP pump: pull the lid, rotate the vanes and reassemble. Dit it with ours and fixed it for maybe another 10+ years?
SN 93, Pro Boss HO, GT-40P, ACME 422
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 3:35pm
Good job troubleshooting. Logic prevails and you did the work!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic