NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Supercharging a 351 Engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 4:37pm
Umm I thought one that pulled skifly had a red deck? Maybe the red one I've seen didn't have that motor, but the videos I've seen of it sounded MEAN.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 4:40pm
there are other ways to get the supercharger to work it's just not a bolt on thing and not that hard to make it work right with the reverse rotation engine and right type of supercharger. All it requires is a custom made mounting bracket and an extra idler pulley. Pretty simply stuff if you have access to the tools and the know how to use them.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 4:46pm
The video I saw was an all red boat with a white N. Maybe there was more than 1 made? Or is the reflection real bad in that pic?

The Lightning would have been much lighter than the Python- small vs. big block. IIRC, the Lightning had aluminum heads too, maybe even an aluminum block.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 4:49pm
vortech makes a nice accessory mount supercharger, it mounts like a altenator, it is a sweet set-up.
   personally one of these days im going to put together a turbocharged engine, you can by set-ups pretty cheap from e-bay. I have a friend installing one on a LS1 he bought the turbo for $650.00 and bought what is called a box of pipes to manufacture the exhaust, i think the biggest problem in a ski boat would be the lag on holeshot, i know i can build a trans good to 800 hp so that wont be a problem. i do have a good 5.7 set aside for this.     one of these days.......
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 4:53pm
i did build a stroked 350 which brings it to a 383   up on the dyno it didnt start making power untill about 3800 rpm and stayed level to 7800    the stroker kit cost about 700.00. that thing made unbelievable power. i wish i could of put it in a ski boat to see what it would do
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 5:55pm
the boat above appears to have a spyder tower, so it would probably be an 02-03?
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 8:01pm
Is cooling an issue under the cover with the higher HP output engines?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Is cooling an issue under the cover with the higher HP output engines?

no they run the same temp unless you have turbos then you don't want them covered at all.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 8:07pm
you have a endless supply of 70 degree water, you could run a inner cooler to cool the engine compartment
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:10am
   What you need is a ba$$ boat

Mike
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 2:28am
Is that exhaust still water cooled.? and how does it go under the engine cover heat wise.?

Looks the goods though.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 2:53pm
What you need is the Viper 8.3L V10, 625 HP, 600 ft*lbs torque by Ilmor Marine.
I read an article a while back in Boating Magazine about a boat with two of the 550 HP versions in it. The boat raced a Viper sports car from Miami Beach to Key West. Guess who won Guess who had more fun
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 3:03pm
I'm planning on doing a little work to my 351w. Nothing too crazy, just Aluminuim intake and a few other tweaks. At what point does one need to beef up the tranny to take the extra HP? The BW installation guide in the reference section lists max HP for the 10-17 at 255 HP @ 4200 RPMs. The 10-18 is rated at 380HP.
And at what point do you need to go to the 1-1/8" or larger drive shaft?

I know some of you guys are bound to be over 300HP.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 3:04pm
Oh crap!! That's nuts. Maybe I can use a shoe horn to get it in my boat. Does ACME make a five blade prop?

Ken
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 3:34pm
jimbo,331 stroker makes 350 plus hp,dont think that is the issue ,torque is the twisting effort,am i rite 79,that makes thing break.still using 1" shaft and the old style 10/17 velvet drive. do have the new style 10/17/004 ready just in case.i dont think a warmed over 351 will hurt it. what is tranny doc.thinking,Eric are you lurking...boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 3:57pm
eric says he can get one to handle 800hp, the base unit can handle up to 400 hp with out an issue, the hp not the issue torque is and I've got about 390 ft lbs of torwue on mine and haven't had any issues in stock trim but everthing was new when I did the engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 4:14pm
just finished up 2 10-17 with big blocks and trs outdrives 454's about 650 hp.,
   the drive locked up and caused the trans to snap the forward clutch hub, the clutches did not slip in the trans, it actually snapped it right in half.
    when your ready to beef it up will go through what you need to do step by step and will get you some volume discount transmission parts will keep it under $150.00 for everything you need
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 6:30pm
Thanks eric. I'm planing to do a couple of upgrades to the engine this winter. I'll probablly wait until the next time I break a reverse plate, then go through the tranny and beef it up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 6:46pm
Hey doc on those eagle cranks do they have the oil grooves in them on the rear or front seals or are the journals smooth so that you can use them in either direction?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 7:11pm
jimbo, you must have a AS1-71C with one reverse, i probably have a spare case that I'll give you that will except the 2 reverse plates and with the reverse plates i use you will never snap a reverse plate again, let me know when your ready. the best transmissions to use are the 10-17-003 or 004. keep your eye open for a cheap core and use yours for a spare
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 8:31pm
no they dont have the knurling,this is why i went with the one piece rear main block.was scared of the two piece seal not sealing without the knurled crank.the two piece uses the knurls to pull oil away from the smooth lipped seal, with the one piece seal the knurls are in the seal,so it,the seal ,is the only part that is directional. the crank dont care....... hope ya understood that 79 cause it confused the hell out of me trying to type and think at the same time......boat dr
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 9:04pm
79nautique you thinking of trying for a reverse rotation balanced stroker?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 9:15pm
mine's already balanced and I don't know if I want to mess with the block mods it was more info for everyone else considering a rebuild in the future, which would be an awsome project for that 351 your getting ready to do.

Thanks Doc understand completely. knew some cranks have the wick grooves and others are smooth and one piece seals are always the way to go if you can.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 10:03pm
79 the biggest problem now is finding the rev, rotation 1 piece il seal,PCM no longer is making it, with the resources you have 79 i know you can find a supplier.i bought the last one PCM had,thanx Vince,Skidm,you the man.79 wish you could take a ride , you would have to do it to yours,well worth all the headaches..... boat dr
Cape Cod CC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 10:07pm
You could always go for one of these vintage 1978 Chrysler Turbo Charged 360s. This is the only one I have ever seen. It was in a limited production Century ski boat. Has anyone ever seen one of these? I would love to find one. It’s probably not quite as powerful as some of the other engines mentioned in this post but still a very interesting and unique turbo charged marine engine. Let me know your thoughts.

Vince
Cape Cod
1980 SN

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 10:14pm
Cape cod dont have the room under the box,'64 american skier. low tech look for a high tech motor,how bout it 79 cuold we trick that one out,twin turbo's spooled up at 5500 with 3" striaghts,= the big O........ boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 10:46pm
i think I saw something like that on e-bay not too long ago, no bottom end torque but i bet there's a ton of top end on that thing.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 11:30pm
Yes, There was one on ebay about 3weeks ago. Think it sold for about $7000. Twin turbo with jet drive.
Scott
Cape Cod CC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 12:09am
Yes, that is exactly where I saw it, on Ebay. Check it out, the link is still active.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=140018320121&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

This thing went for only $4800. Seems like a great deal. Who would have thought Century would have made such an effort on a ski boat. It appears as though it was used at Cypress Gardens. If my wife let me have 3 boats I would have bid on it.

Vince
Cape Cod
1980 SN

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 12:30am
Well, well, well...this just in... a guy I know has a Chevy 350 engine from a van that he'll give me. All I need to do is pick it up. I'm thinking I'll tear it down and rebuild it as a 383 Stroker, upgrade some parts to marine grade (carb, starter, altenator)and put a cooling and exhaust system on it. Hmmm... put a LH prop on it and put my St Pauli Girl looking German wife in the observer seat for ballast and not worry about the rotation. Hmmm Seriously thinking about this for a long term project. This way I'll have an engine ready to go when the 351w throws craps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic