Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement engine 1989 SN 351

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ozarkcountry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozarkcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement engine 1989 SN 351
    Posted: September-30-2019 at 6:07pm
I'm brand new here but need advice. First time out this year with 1989 SN Ford 351: maybe a winterizing problem on our part that probably destroyed the engine. Started ok, ran about a mile before over-heating. Back at dock discovered 2 plugs out of engine, oil filter had blown off, oil all over bilge. Replaced block plugs and filter and oil and boat ran enough to get it on the trailer but engine knocked, temp still high.
Without even seeing it, Marina says the engine is shot; say replacement engine will be hard to find and expect cost to be $6000 to $8000.
Comments on cost estimate and availability of rebuilt or re-manufactured engine. I'm zero on engines so tell me also about long block and short block and which I would need. Prior to this problem the boat started and ran fine except the engine has always ran a bit hot.
We bought the boat new in 1989 and my wife loves the boat.

Jerry
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 6:36pm
With your freeze plugs pushed out, it probably froze at some point.
With the oil filter blown off, that one is odd, I have seen it but usually in an engine that is started in very cold temps, below 20* and maybe the engine was revved high before the oil had any chance to warm up.
The engine will need to come out to determine its current value. Block may be fine or may be cracked. It will need to be inspected by a machine shop.
If it is shot you have the choice to rebuild an engine or find a good running used engine take out.   Your engine is probably a reverse rotation in a 1989 Nautique so keep that in mind when searching.   If someone has a 351W reverse rotation in good shape, maybe 500 hours it might be the cheapest replacement choice.
The engines are known to last 2,000 or more hours with good maintenance. Rebuilt engines are available from a few sources and there have been recent threads on this forum discussing those options if you do some searching.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Your engine is probably a reverse rotation in a 1989 Nautique .

*probably not
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Your engine is probably a reverse rotation in a 1989 Nautique .

*probably not

Like Tim said ( in a lot fewer words), being an 89 it's most likely a reverse, reverse rotation engine otherwise known as standard LH automotive rotation hooked to a PCM 1.23 to 1 transmission.

89 was the first year for that setup

Look at your engine tag or post a picture here and also a picture of the transmission if you're unsure

It's really pretty easy to find a remanufactured long block if that ends up being what you want or need.

Around 2000 bucks for a good quality remanned long block, labor and labor charge provided by you or someone else

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 7:22pm
We have a complete 1989 engine out of a Martinique. PM me if you'd like to hear more...
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 8:12pm
Rotation determining factor then, is it 1.23:1 or a 1:1 transmission.
I did not realize the 1.23:1 came out in 89.
1.23:1 = Standard Rotatation engine

1:1 = REVERSE ROTATION ENGINE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic