Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Burning oil after re-jetting 454

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2019 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Main jets aren’t in play at idle. Something else is buggered, perhaps when you disassembled/reassembled.

Why were you rejetting?

The plug electrodes were still white/new looking after several hours of
run time so I figured it was to lean, It’s running better now to, but smoking at idle.
Using aimsoil 10w40 marine oil
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2019 at 5:35pm
Main jets aren’t in play at idle. Something else is buggered, perhaps when you disassembled/reassembled.

Why were you rejetting? Sounds like you are too rich now. I wouldn’t expect to see much coloration with modern fuels when the mixture is proper. Just watch out for splotches of aluminum.
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2019 at 5:30pm
I started to have an issue burning oil on my 454, I noticed blue smoke at idle after stepping up two jet sizes to 74 primary 89 secondary. The smoke smells gassy and not like the typical burning oil smell.

The jets in there before were 72/87, and the plug electrodes were white with no color after a few hours of use. The 74/89 started to give the plugs a golden brown color after an hour, but now all the plug electrodes are black. I also replaced the pcv valve to see if that would help.

One weird thing is that it doesn’t always smoke it seems to be intermittent. Could stepping up the main jets to much cause fuel to wash oil off the cylinder walls and burn at idle or maybe a high float?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic