Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1995 Pro boss / Pro tec

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
beretta5spd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1995 Pro boss / Pro tec
    Posted: May-06-2021 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by beretta5spd beretta5spd wrote:

Well crew here's the status of the Sport Nautique......

IT RUNS AMAZING.

First and foremost.

HUGE THANKS TO ROB AKA JOHNNY QUEST

He took multiple phone calls with questions about swapping the Pro Boss TBI over to the Quick Fuel m600 carb. We had virtually the same problems arise from our separate installs so he easily walked me through a stuck secondary float issue hahaha.

She actually looks better with this tower than the old boat did.... had to widen it roughly 7 inches.

IMG_2786 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

Untitled by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

Photos of the quick fuel:

IMG_2732 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

IMG_2760 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

Youtube of it firing up. This thing runs so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia6SJ4JoHJo

Parts used:
Quick fuel m600 carb
Carter M60389 pump
Sierra 18-8115 fuel line (pump to carb)
A couple fittings to attach the fuel lines to the carter.
In line fuel filter.

The best part about this setup IMO:

It idled so good after a 30 second hi idle at startup. Settles in at about 750 rpm. When I engage the trans... ZERO rpm drop. When you hammer the throttle... BAM no hesitation. I'm so impressed with this unit... Thanks to everyone who said to ditch the TBI and quit trying to find an injector.

Bring on summer 2020!

Hey guys... I'm finally getting to where I need to look into Perfect Pass for this boat.

In one of the photos above, you'll see the fuel inlet on the m600 gets in the way of where the servo cable would be on a typical Holley Carb Perfect Pass install. 

Would anyone have some wisdom on how they would attach the connector for the throttle cable/perfect pass adapter in order to provide clearance? It quite simply has to go downward. Would there be a problem attaching the "pull point" for the throttle cable/servo on one of the lower holes on the carburetor plate?

TIA
1996,1997 Sport Nautique 1986,1992 Ski Nautique - Sold
1995 Sport Nautique - Current
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 5:12pm
Acme 422 would be "stock". If you want a bit more hole-shot, look at the Acme 654. Should be a big upgrade from your O.J.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 4:08pm
OMG I just realized that the guy who sold me the boat had a wrong prop as a spare.

Wow.

I need to get the 1579 checked over and find someone with a Super Air 210 or GS 20 who needs a spare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 1:44pm
Prop looks like to be stock 3 blade OJ 14 x 16 cupped.

Also have a spare Acme 1579 that came with the boat.
(4 blade 13.5 x 14.25)

Any recommendations as to which one would be better in the slalom course?

I actually don't mind the idea of running out of RPM in the low/mid 40mph range.
We ski at 34 and top speed isn't a priority.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2020 at 11:12pm
Glad to help out!

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2020 at 3:13pm
Thanks for the quick answers guys!

It was just my assumption that there was a rev limiter. Every EFI vehicle I've driven had one.

I gotta check the prop... I believe I was running maybe 44/45 mph at 5000 rpm.

New carb works great so far thanks to all the help I've got from JQ!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2020 at 2:44pm
High RPM limit is based on the prop that you have. What are the specs for your wheel?
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2020 at 1:59pm
What makes you so sure there’s a rev limiter at all? I wouldn’t expect one on the Protec stuff. I don’t believe the GT40 had one either.

Let it spin.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2020 at 1:21pm
Hey guys here's a question for you.

I only got to run the boat last year with a NFG injector and couldn't hit over 4400 (unless that was standard rev limiter for 1995 Pro Boss TBI.

After the carb conversion... I tested to see how high the rpm would go. I hit 5100 rpm and it was still climbing. Did the rpm limit come from the EFI system before? I always thought that rev limit came from ignition.

Thanks for the help

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2020 at 7:18pm
Has anyone ran perfect pass with their quick fuel carb?

In the second to last photo... you can see that it looks like the fuel line would be in the way for the PP servo cable.

Anyone have recommendations for adjustment if I were to run PP?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2020 at 1:05am
Well crew here's the status of the Sport Nautique......

IT RUNS AMAZING.

First and foremost.

HUGE THANKS TO ROB AKA JOHNNY QUEST

He took multiple phone calls with questions about swapping the Pro Boss TBI over to the Quick Fuel m600 carb. We had virtually the same problems arise from our separate installs so he easily walked me through a stuck secondary float issue hahaha.

She actually looks better with this tower than the old boat did.... had to widen it roughly 7 inches.

IMG_2786 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

Untitled by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

Photos of the quick fuel:

IMG_2732 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

IMG_2760 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

Youtube of it firing up. This thing runs so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia6SJ4JoHJo

Parts used:
Quick fuel m600 carb
Carter M60389 pump
Sierra 18-8115 fuel line (pump to carb)
A couple fittings to attach the fuel lines to the carter.
In line fuel filter.

The best part about this setup IMO:

It idled so good after a 30 second hi idle at startup. Settles in at about 750 rpm. When I engage the trans... ZERO rpm drop. When you hammer the throttle... BAM no hesitation. I'm so impressed with this unit... Thanks to everyone who said to ditch the TBI and quit trying to find an injector.

Bring on summer 2020!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

ya, twins. I'm very curious. It looks like your port side has black between the purple and teal accent stripes, but your starboard side doesn't (like mine). I'm also curious about the ski nautique graphic on a sport.

yeah the black is a vinyl roll that was put on there. I haven't decided whether I remove it or not.

The ski nautique is the ultimate facepalm. I have no idea where it came from... but I'd like to remove it completely. makes no sense. I mean... I'm going to primarily ski behind it. but it would be better without than with I think.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2020 at 5:50pm
ya, twins. I'm very curious. It looks like your port side has black between the purple and teal accent stripes, but your starboard side doesn't (like mine). I'm also curious about the ski nautique graphic on a sport.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2020 at 11:39am
Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

Get rid of the pro tec, you'll kill yourself trying to fix that tbi on top of the protec.

I'm just glad that there's a retrofit (DUI system) that's a very straightforward install. Will probably complete that at some point.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

Beretta, nice boat. I have no idea about most of this stuff you're talking about but my boat is a whole lot like yours. No issues w protec ignition so far. Not fuel injected. Good luck

Our boats are twins! Nice
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2020 at 7:27pm
Get rid of the pro tec, you'll kill yourself trying to fix that tbi on top of the protec.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2020 at 7:23pm
Beretta, nice boat. I have no idea about most of this stuff you're talking about but my boat is a whole lot like yours. No issues w protec ignition so far. Not fuel injected. Good luck
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2020 at 1:17pm
Well that fell through. Back to square 1
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 9:33pm
Best of luck to you. I hope you are wildly successful in bringing the patient back from the dead.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 3:24pm
Well it looks like I've worked out a deal for an entire Pro Boss TBI fuel system from low pressure pump to injectors, pro tec ignition system from trigger through coils, and ECU from the famous Boat Dr. I'll keep you posted how this works out.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 9:50pm
While Tim is technically correct I doubt there is really much difference between a GM using a Holley and an electric pump and a Ford using a Holley and a mechanical pump. Isnt a GM mechanical in the block as opposed to a Ford in the timing cover? I'm thinking GM changed the casting and or machining and the mechanical pump boss is gone requiring a different pump
Here is a snip of the PCM GM page-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 5:35pm
Any carb’d BBC from ‘91 forward and any SBC from 96 on has a good chance of needing an electric pump. Fords (carb’d) all had mechanical AFAIK.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 4:18pm
It is a marine rated low pressure pump and in its current use is only used as a transfer pump- I’d try it. Thought there were some PCM engines that used it from the factory with carbs but don’t have the parts book handy
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 3:10pm
Fuel pump for carbureted systems.
I like fuel pressure between 5 and 7 psi. Per my fuel pressure/vacuum gauge, my Carter mechanical fuel pump produces 6 psi. I would counsel you to not use the low pressure fuel pump from the TBI set up. Go with a USCG approved mechanical or electric fuel pump designed to work with a carbureted system. Your old TBI system is also likely to have a return-to-tank fuel line. That return line needs to be securely capped off.

Spark arrestor.
My OEM spark arrestor that came with the ProTech TBI system did not fit on the QuickFuel carburetor. The reason for this is that the float adjustment hardware on the QF carbs does not allow the spark arrestor to sit flush on the carburetor mounting flange. I ended up going with a K&N spark arrestor/filter that has a raised flange so as to avoid the float adjustment hardware. Along with the K&N filter I purchased the K&N marine vent hose adapters for the breather hose and the mechanical fuel pump safety hose. If you need part numbers, send me a PM.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 2:52pm
Also... any idea if the spark arrestor from the Tbi will work? Or where should I be looking for one?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 2:49pm
Quick question guys.... Do I need to run a mechanical fuel pump with a quick fuel carb setup?... or can I just use the low pressure pump that came with the pro boss Tbi injection. It's only 55 USD (almost 100 CAD after shipping and import fees). Small price to pay.... but you would think the low pressure pump would flow without issues.

Thoughts?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2019 at 7:41pm
Thanks 2001sunsport for the heads up!

Well we've got terrible news.

My one injector is dead.

Anyone have a 250R-123AA kicking around??? lol.

If we can't source one on the forum.... I guess I'll do the retrofit to a quick fuel.

Off I go to the parts wanted section!
2001Sunsport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2019 at 11:58pm
Found it. Ordered them from Amazon. Holley 503-6 has the orings/gasket/regulator.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/throttle_bodies/throttle_body_components/parts/503-6
2001Sunsport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2019 at 11:47pm
Here's the throttle blade kit just in case, Holley 26-97. Haven't found the paperwork for the gasket/ regulator kit yet.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetor_components/throttle_body_kits_and_service_components/parts/26-97

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2019 at 8:13pm
Hey guys, I had a really cool day hanging out with the injector guy.

He tested the injectors and here's what we found.

1. We did a leak test. Applied around 60 psi of pressure without any power and we found that they were sealed up perfectly. That was a win to start with.

2. We did an inductance test. All of them came out fine as in "not dead." That's also a relief. The one issue we have is there's an injector that's stuck closed. Which is weird that it ran to 44 mph at 4800 rpm. Anyway... the test shows that one injector is indeed stuck. Which means it may be no good.... OR.... best case scenario.... it becomes unstuck in the ultrasonic cleaner. Thats yet tbd.

If the ultrasonic cleaning fixes the stuck injector that's a huge win.
If not... I'm going to have three benched tested, ultrasonically cleaned injectors for sale for $100 USD each ;) ... hopefully pay for a good portion of a quick fuel m600 swap.

You guys should find out shortly.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic