Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1995 Pro boss / Pro tec

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
beretta5spd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1995 Pro boss / Pro tec
    Posted: October-03-2019 at 6:56pm
Hey guys...
I'm looking at a 1995 Sport Nautique with a Pro boss / Pro tec setup on it.

The boat has SUPER low hours (200ish) and I only put on around 40 hours per year.

Do we have any data on how long these Pro tec systems work before they need to be retrofitted to carb/dizzy?

If they aren't typically causing issues until 500+ hours then it's a no brainer to buy the boat in question.

Thanks for any help in advance
1996,1997 Sport Nautique 1986,1992 Ski Nautique - Sold
1995 Sport Nautique - Current
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2019 at 7:59pm
Buy It. At 200 hours it is like new in most areas.
It will need some normal maintenance as all old boats do but should last you a long time.
The Pro Tec may out last you or fail this year but how often do you find a boat with 200 hours that is 24 years old.
I bought mine with 99 hours in 2014, had to go through the whole boat to get it ship shape.
A couple sensors were not working right, the hydraulic rams that hold up the passenger seat, engine cover and the dash glovebox lid were all not working but easy to repace with new ones.. The rubber flapper on the exhaust was rotted out not from use but just from age and this boat sat in a garage for 20 years..   Changed all oils, Engine and Tranny. New rope seals in the rudder and prop shaft and a few trips to the lake to sort out other stuff and the boat treats me like a brand new boat.   Mine also needed a new prop shaft and strut was bent from the previous owner hitting something. About $1,500 later it was in great shape again.   
Even if the Pro Tech fails it is not that expensive to switch back to a Distributor and Carburetor. I would buy it if it fits your needs.   Engine work is easy, fixing seats and a lousy exterior is hard to me.
Good Luck
Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 1:36pm
Thanks for the advice.

I put a deposit on it yesterday. :)

I can't wait to get out and enjoy it.... next year hahaha.

I had someone view it for me and says its the best condition boat of that vintage I'm going to find. I get to pick it up next weekend.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 2:34pm
Good Luck, and as always, if you want respect on here you have to supply Pictures!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 2:40pm
I always thought the ProTec setup disappeared after 94 and the GT40 came along in 95.

If that's the case you either would have a 94 model year boat with ProTec or a 95 with a GT40

Maybe I'm confused
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 2:54pm
No, Protec used in carb and TBI form through at least ‘95.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 3:18pm

Like I said
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Maybe I'm confused
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 4:55pm
My 95 Pro Boss is the Port Fuel Injected version, first released in 1995. Our boat is a May of 1995 build. No idea when it was first used.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 5:34pm
Don’t want to put words in Tims mouth but what he is saying is that the GT40 was an engine upgrade. It seems most boats had them but other engines could be had. Maybe someone thought I don’t want one of those fancy multi port engines I would rather have a tried and true Pro Tec’s and maybe save a few bucks too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 8:02pm
The Serial number on the back of the boat will tell the build date and we will at least know that for sure.   It may be a 94 sold in 95 or as you suggest a carry over engine purchase.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 12:50am
because everyone loves pics ;)

I'll be keeping my eyes out for entire GT-40 take off intake setups. Intake, harness, computer.

Hopefully the pics work:

IMG_1427 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

IMG_1426 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

IMG_1431 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

IMG_1429 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 8:28am
Originally posted by beretta5spd beretta5spd wrote:

IMG_1429 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

The Engine looks pretty clean so it really makes the rust stains stand out near the spark plugs    

And the cover over the battery cable connection on the starter is pretty discolored like there's been rusty water dripping on it.

It looks like you have GT40 heads and they've been known to crack externally and leak like that.

It's probably worth a close look

If you're looking for all that other GT40 stuff, add a distributor to your list too

I won't comment on how Sport is spelled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 11:00am
Hmmm... I was under the impression that the stains would have come from the exhaust risers. I know for sure the other side has a leaking riser. Seeing that the rust is uniform across the center of the head... I'm hoping that's the case.

I think I know where there's a dizzy/coil/harness setup I can have at a fairly reasonable price to team up with the GT-40 intake setup eventually.

Those decals are coming off hahahaha.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 12:36pm
Figured I'd mention the stains, probably worth a good look.

I figure you'll be finding fuel pumps and fuel lines etc to go with everything else.

So many things to find and change, I'm sure there's more.

Good lookin' boat by the way.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 1:20pm
That's a nice looking boat looks to be well cared for. As to GT parts they are out there and do come up from time to time. There was recently a set up on Seattle craigslist for pocket change - in under a day it was gone. Another place to keep an eye out is fishtheclassic a Shamrock web forum. This summer someone had the parts for one as well and that's where I found a complete engine. Put something up on the wanted section of these sites who knows? One thing for sure they turn up when your not needing them.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Figured I'd mention the stains, probably worth a good look.

I figure you'll be finding fuel pumps and fuel lines etc to go with everything else.

So many things to find and change, I'm sure there's more.

Good lookin' boat by the way.

Thanks!

yes there's so many plans.... one step at a time

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

That's a nice looking boat looks to be well cared for. As to GT parts they are out there and do come up from time to time. There was recently a set up on Seattle craigslist for pocket change - in under a day it was gone. Another place to keep an eye out is fishtheclassic a Shamrock web forum. This summer someone had the parts for one as well and that's where I found a complete engine. Put something up on the wanted section of these sites who knows? One thing for sure they turn up when your not needing them.....

Thanks for the heads up :)
2001Sunsport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 1:53pm
Don't be scared of the Protec. Run it until it breaks, put a DUI in and keep the fuel injection. I still think my 1994 Supra Comp with the Protec FI 351 was faster than my 1995 Supra Comp with GT40 351

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by 2001Sunsport 2001Sunsport wrote:

Don't be scared of the Protec. Run it until it breaks, put a DUI in and keep the fuel injection. I still think my 1994 Supra Comp with the Protec FI 351 was faster than my 1995 Supra Comp with GT40 351

whoa. I just read through your DUI conversion thread... and MIKEWOLF has indicated his worked flawlessly for the full summer season. Amazing. Kudos to you guys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2019 at 11:06pm
I picked up the Sport Nautique today! We had a couple small hiccups... the hitch was frozen in the back of the truck after driving through a huge snow storm. The wiring for the lights was incorrect and the LED lights were shot. That took a few hours and a couple trips to automotive stores to rectify.

There's a fun story with all of this... but I'll save that until the end. Here you are guys... because I know you love pics!

IMG_1482 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

IMG_1480 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

IMG_1486-1 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

IMG_1488 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

Purple rub rail! More about that in a bit.

IMG_1483 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

Here's where the story gets cool. We make the deal, sign papers and exchange money. The
seller hands me the keys with a cool blue Ski Nautique floatie on it. I flip it over and it says Century Marine from AZ. Keep in mind... I'm in northern Saskatchewan and I woke up to 20*F temps this morning.

IMG_1471 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

I sent that pic to @hansenindustries and he forwarded it onto the long term staff there and they remember selling the boat in 1995.

And it gets even cooler... the first Nautique I ever owned was a 1996 Sport Nautique in VERY similar colorway... also sold by Century Marine who remembered selling that boat as well. Here's some pics of that boat:

IMG_2217 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

IMG_2855-1 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

IMG_4478 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

I think it's so cool that these boats received colored rub rails.

Over the winter I'll be installing a tower and hopefully a bimini. Thanks for following this thread :)
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2019 at 11:42pm
Wow, new ownership. Glad you got it home. I think it will clean up fine.
Gives you something to play with all winter while you dream of those sunny summer days.
Congratulations
Mark
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2019 at 5:14pm
Nice!!!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2019 at 11:05pm
Well I finally got to take the Sport Nautique out for a test run today. I had the lake virtually all to myself... it was calm... there was snow on the hills around the lake... it was magic.

The Sport ran overall pretty good. At first it felt like it was hitting a wall at 4000 rpm then quickly ripped up to WOT 44 mph gps @ 4800 rpm. After a little cruising around it had no issues accelerating to WOT.

Here's a few pics :)

3F307695-BCEA-414F-A0E4-D3D0D39E5E97-1 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

IMG_1514 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

IMG_1516 by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2019 at 11:37pm
Hopefully the winter won't seem so long
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2019 at 2:32am
You are Hard Core, boating with snow on the banks. Glad you are out having fun.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2019 at 2:08pm
Some of the Nautiques sold by Century Marine were used in Firebird Lake. There is a ski club that has rights to the lake and maintain ski courses and jumps. Also, the ASU ski team uses it. The lake is salt water and if your boat was used there it could explain the rust on your engine. A friend of mine bought his '94 from Century and he found out later it was a ASU team boat used at Firebird. His risers/manifolds failed prematurely. Since the lake is in the desert the boats don't show any sign of being in salt water/air except for the exhaust.

Also, your boat has the exact same trailer as his '94 made from C channel so no rusted tubes. I believe they where made by Pacific Trailer.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2019 at 10:54pm
Great looking boat - Congrats on such a nice find!!
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2019 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Some of the Nautiques sold by Century Marine were used in Firebird Lake. There is a ski club that has rights to the lake and maintain ski courses and jumps. Also, the ASU ski team uses it. The lake is salt water and if your boat was used there it could explain the rust on your engine. A friend of mine bought his '94 from Century and he found out later it was a ASU team boat used at Firebird. His risers/manifolds failed prematurely. Since the lake is in the desert the boats don't show any sign of being in salt water/air except for the exhaust.

Also, your boat has the exact same trailer as his '94 made from C channel so no rusted tubes. I believe they where made by Pacific Trailer.

hmmm.... thats good to know. thanks for the insider information :)

This trailer is definitely in too good of condition to have regularly found itself in salt water.

Today I kept an eye on the risers and there was no water coming down the manifolds which I thought was weird.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2019 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Hopefully the winter won't seem so long

Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

You are Hard Core, boating with snow on the banks. Glad you are out having fun.

It was a great couple days.... 55*F after a few days of freezing temps and a foot of snow

Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Great looking boat - Congrats on such a nice find!!

Thanks for the kind words :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 12:00am
We had another great day on the water..... here's me and my son.

Untitled by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

Here's the 95 Sport next to the 86

The '86 sold in 30 minutes after advertising on Facebook. No tower, no reverse, destroyed upholstery, no stringer guarantees... $1500. Gotta deliver it next month.

The best part of the day is putting a cold beer in the cupholder awaiting your return from skiing. (No beers until you're done skiing.)

Maybe some of you guys might know whats going on. With this boat... both times I've gone out on the water... it doesn't want to go past 4000 rpm until it warms up. You can mash the throttle and it simply will not go past. Once it warms up a little... the full rpm range is there. And when it kicks in and goes beyond 4K rpm... it kicks in HARD.

I popped off the air cleaner while it was idling so I could inspect the Pro boss injector pods and they seem to be spraying just fine at idle up to 1500 rpm. I didn't feel comfortable with the crew I had today to run it at speed in the 4K rpm range and watch the injectors. Do you guys have any thoughts on what the issue might be?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic