NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1995 Pro boss / Pro tec

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 12:08am
I do not know the Pro Tec programming at all but it sounds like it has a cold run program.
Once warm it gives you full power. Nothing wrong with that if that is all it is.
An engine should run till at full temp before anyone hits full throttle. It is hard on the engine if you do not warm it up first and you risk engine damage.
Pistons under full throttle grow faster than the cylinders they run in. Many a driver have stuck a piston in a cold engine, you don't want to do that.

But more important, your son looks very happy in his new boat and you are looking good cutting up the water.
beretta5spd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2019 at 9:07pm
Well.... realized some bad news today....

I knew there was fuel coming from all 4 injectors.... but I didn't realize that at idle they're supposed to be "spraying" as opposed to "dribbling." I was under the assumption at first that my rich idle was the FI trying to get the engine warmed up .... but nope it's the injectors. All of them are dribbling. Unless they can be cleaned I think I'm hooped.

So I think I'm going to have to do the carb retrofit. I'm disappointed... but at the same time it will be nice to get this sorted over the winter. It appears as though everyone out there who has done the skidim carb retrofit has been very happy with it.

While doing the carb retrofit.... I'll probably do the DUI as well. So here's the thing... the Protec ignition system seems to be working flawlessly on the boat currently. It ran beautifully up to 44 mph @ 4800 rpm. Is the used protec setup worth anything? Anyone out there want a low hour spare protec system when I pull it off?

Ive read through a few threads already on the carb / dui conversion and it seems pretty straightforward. I've done a distributor swap on the 86 Nautique.

Does anyone have any recommendations/thoughts?

1996,1997 Sport Nautique 1986,1992 Ski Nautique - Sold
1995 Sport Nautique - Current
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2019 at 9:57pm
I gave my old ProTec stuff away. I should have kept the injectors. Reminds me of the EFI/ProTec swap I did a couple of years ago. My 1994 runs as strong as and maybe better than new (but that’s gut feeling).

I was on Lake Powell last week with my 1994 SNOB and a 2006 Ski Nautique (206) with the GM 343 HP engine. My 1994 was waaaay stronger with better hole-shot. We were all surprised by that. The 206 did have better cold starting characteristics...

JQ

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2019 at 12:00am
I wonder if they can be cleaned like mpi injectors by an injector service ?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2019 at 4:59am
A simple trick to clean injectors is to put a quart of ATF fluid in the gas tank and go out and run it. I have seen it work many times to free up sticky injectors.
It will not hurt anything and for about $4 it is worth a try. Gives you another reason to take the boat out for a long spin.   My 95 starts each season with a quart in the tank.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

A simple trick to clean injectors is to put a quart of ATF fluid in the gas tank and go out and run it. I have seen it work many times to free up sticky injectors.
It will not hurt anything and for about $4 it is worth a try. Gives you another reason to take the boat out for a long spin.   My 95 starts each season with a quart in the tank.

Just to keep things rolling...Synthetic ATF? Dino? Dexron III? Mercon?

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I wonder if they can be cleaned like mpi injectors by an injector service ?

I've got a call into an injector place who will bench test for 20 bucks an injector. can't beat that. it's 45 total each if they clean them. I'll spend the $20 to test. Although if JQ's experience is typical... he's just gonna tell me they're pooched.

Also everyone.... I just got off the phone with the boat dr aka billy sutton from Louisiana. The famous doctor himself. He's got a full take off pro boss tbi setup with pro tec ignition that was in running order. He wants low 4 figures for it... so I'm probably going to go with quick fuel m600 and DUI for about the same $$$$ if my injectors are pooched.

This is great news for someone who wants to keep the injectors/pro tec.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2019 at 2:21pm

JQ

Johnny, standard ATF not synthetic. I use the Dextron 3 because it is also used in my cars but I have read that the Ford ATF has more lubrication quality than Dextron.
It has been used for many years to clean injectors, started with truckers using it to clean Diesel Injectors many years ago.   It actually works very well to clean and lubricate.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2019 at 4:46pm

JQ

Johnny, standard ATF not synthetic. I use the Dextron 3 because it is also used in my cars but I have read that the Ford ATF has more lubrication quality than Dextron.
It has been used for many years to clean injectors, started with truckers using it to clean Diesel Injectors many years ago.   It actually works very well to clean and lubricate.

I was just yankin' yer chain. It might have been worth a few chuckles to start an "oil thread" argument over ATF in the fuel...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2019 at 5:34pm
I am pretty sure the EPA would not endorse it but it has proven to work so we use it.

Kind of like the 50/50 ATF and Acetone mix that works so well to loosen rusted nuts but is never sold over the counter at any store.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2019 at 1:51am
Well... I had a short amount of time to work on the Sport tonight. I pulled the injectors and harness off.... tomorrow I'll go to the shop. I don't think he's going to have time to test them while I'm there. Hopefully he will. Man these throttle flaps are rusty. Yikes

Untitled by Dwight Kinley, on Flickr

2001Sunsport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2019 at 1:59am
Probably 2-3 years back now I bought a rebuild kit for my throttle body. It had new blades, gaskets, o-rings, and regulator. I'll see if I can find the paper with the kit # tomorrow as I can't find the email where I ordered it. I believe it ended up being for a carb but worked perfect, I think I ordered direct from Holley.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2019 at 2:01am
Originally posted by 2001Sunsport 2001Sunsport wrote:

Probably 2-3 years back now I bought a rebuild kit for my throttle body. It had new blades, gaskets, o-rings, and regulator. I'll see if I can find the paper with the kit # tomorrow as I can't find the email where I ordered it. I believe it ended up being for a carb but worked perfect, I think I ordered direct from Holley.

cool! I'll definitely need that kit if these injectors can be cleaned/rebuilt. I'm going to leave that part to the professionals though :)

If the injectors are scrap she's gonna get a quick flow m600 and be done with it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2019 at 2:27am
Yes...the uber-scarce Holley 250R-123AA injectors. I had a shop clean and test mine. One came back “dead”. I looked for weeks in vain. I called Holley and they tried not to laugh when I asked them for replacement injectors...

Best of luck to you.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2019 at 2:37am
That rust makes me wonder if someone ran E85 ethanol fuel rather than true gasoline.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2019 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Yes...the uber-scarce Holley 250R-123AA injectors. I had a shop clean and test mine. One came back “dead”. I looked for weeks in vain. I called Holley and they tried not to laugh when I asked them for replacement injectors...

Best of luck to you.

JQ

thanks! I need all the luck I can get :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2019 at 3:14am

That rust makes me wonder if someone ran E85 ethanol fuel rather than true gasoline.

that's a good thought.. although where I'm from here in canada e85 is virtually unheard of. we do have ethanol blend but not full e85 readily available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2019 at 8:13pm
Hey guys, I had a really cool day hanging out with the injector guy.

He tested the injectors and here's what we found.

1. We did a leak test. Applied around 60 psi of pressure without any power and we found that they were sealed up perfectly. That was a win to start with.

2. We did an inductance test. All of them came out fine as in "not dead." That's also a relief. The one issue we have is there's an injector that's stuck closed. Which is weird that it ran to 44 mph at 4800 rpm. Anyway... the test shows that one injector is indeed stuck. Which means it may be no good.... OR.... best case scenario.... it becomes unstuck in the ultrasonic cleaner. Thats yet tbd.

If the ultrasonic cleaning fixes the stuck injector that's a huge win.
If not... I'm going to have three benched tested, ultrasonically cleaned injectors for sale for $100 USD each ;) ... hopefully pay for a good portion of a quick fuel m600 swap.

You guys should find out shortly.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2019 at 11:47pm
Here's the throttle blade kit just in case, Holley 26-97. Haven't found the paperwork for the gasket/ regulator kit yet.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetor_components/throttle_body_kits_and_service_components/parts/26-97
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2019 at 11:58pm
Found it. Ordered them from Amazon. Holley 503-6 has the orings/gasket/regulator.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/throttle_bodies/throttle_body_components/parts/503-6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2019 at 7:41pm
Thanks 2001sunsport for the heads up!

Well we've got terrible news.

My one injector is dead.

Anyone have a 250R-123AA kicking around??? lol.

If we can't source one on the forum.... I guess I'll do the retrofit to a quick fuel.

Off I go to the parts wanted section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 2:49pm
Quick question guys.... Do I need to run a mechanical fuel pump with a quick fuel carb setup?... or can I just use the low pressure pump that came with the pro boss Tbi injection. It's only 55 USD (almost 100 CAD after shipping and import fees). Small price to pay.... but you would think the low pressure pump would flow without issues.

Thoughts?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 2:52pm
Also... any idea if the spark arrestor from the Tbi will work? Or where should I be looking for one?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 3:10pm
Fuel pump for carbureted systems.
I like fuel pressure between 5 and 7 psi. Per my fuel pressure/vacuum gauge, my Carter mechanical fuel pump produces 6 psi. I would counsel you to not use the low pressure fuel pump from the TBI set up. Go with a USCG approved mechanical or electric fuel pump designed to work with a carbureted system. Your old TBI system is also likely to have a return-to-tank fuel line. That return line needs to be securely capped off.

Spark arrestor.
My OEM spark arrestor that came with the ProTech TBI system did not fit on the QuickFuel carburetor. The reason for this is that the float adjustment hardware on the QF carbs does not allow the spark arrestor to sit flush on the carburetor mounting flange. I ended up going with a K&N spark arrestor/filter that has a raised flange so as to avoid the float adjustment hardware. Along with the K&N filter I purchased the K&N marine vent hose adapters for the breather hose and the mechanical fuel pump safety hose. If you need part numbers, send me a PM.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 4:18pm
It is a marine rated low pressure pump and in its current use is only used as a transfer pump- I’d try it. Thought there were some PCM engines that used it from the factory with carbs but don’t have the parts book handy
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 5:35pm
Any carb’d BBC from ‘91 forward and any SBC from 96 on has a good chance of needing an electric pump. Fords (carb’d) all had mechanical AFAIK.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 9:50pm
While Tim is technically correct I doubt there is really much difference between a GM using a Holley and an electric pump and a Ford using a Holley and a mechanical pump. Isnt a GM mechanical in the block as opposed to a Ford in the timing cover? I'm thinking GM changed the casting and or machining and the mechanical pump boss is gone requiring a different pump
Here is a snip of the PCM GM page-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 3:24pm
Well it looks like I've worked out a deal for an entire Pro Boss TBI fuel system from low pressure pump to injectors, pro tec ignition system from trigger through coils, and ECU from the famous Boat Dr. I'll keep you posted how this works out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 9:33pm
Best of luck to you. I hope you are wildly successful in bringing the patient back from the dead.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2020 at 1:17pm
Well that fell through. Back to square 1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic