Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat won’t start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
msuskinatique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msuskinatique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat won’t start
    Posted: October-05-2019 at 8:16pm
I have a 2002 Ski Nautique 196 with the GT40. It currently will not crank over. I originally thought the battery didn’t have enough juice to crank it. I had the battery tested and it came back good. The gauges have power when I turn the toggle switch on. In the past, the starter would engage when I turned the toggle switch to all on before entering the code, so I’m thinking it may be the starter solenoid. Does that sound right or any other options that might cause it not too start? Thanks in advance.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2019 at 10:44pm
Toggle switch????
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 12:39pm
I think he's talking about the toggle switch under the dash. It's for all power, bilge only, and all off.
Tim D
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 12:52pm
Are you sure the neutral safety switch is in the right position?
Tim D
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 4:32am
After checking that neutral safety switch check your kill switch lanyard.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 8:10am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

After checking that neutral safety switch check your kill switch lanyard.

2 different situations and end results

NSS will take away power to the start solenoid and engine won't turn over

Kill switch takes away power to the ignition system and has no effect on the starter solenoid so the engine will turn over

2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2019 at 4:08am
I had a similar problem recently on a GT40.

Turned out to be 2 problems. Both the assist solenoid and toggle switch were bad.

D
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msuskinatique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2019 at 8:37pm
Thanks for all the responses. Boats out at the lake, heading down tomorrow to test out these items. I’ll let you know what I find out.
cgerdz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgerdz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2019 at 11:51pm
Hope you don't have to get towed in by the MasterCraft again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msuskinatique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 5:27pm
Hope I don't have to get towed by an MC again also...Starter and solenoid tested fine, I crossed the wires on the NSS as another post recommended and starter would not engage. You can hear the starter click, but it will not crank over. The numerical keypad with start/stop seems to be acting up. I'll enter the code, hit start to turn on power and start again to fire the engine and it will engage the starter and then the lights on the keypad go out. Is the keypad faulty? How can I bypass to test this? Not that I really know how to use it, but my electric meter was also dead when I got to the lake and I didn't have any more batteries.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 5:50pm
You mention starter tested fine and then say when you turn the key you only hear a click.
Are the starter mount bolts tight?
Mine had one loose mount bolt and would click rather than turn over earlier this year.
Tightened the bolts and it is normal now.
If it still will not turn over try hitting it once or twice with a hammer on the outside of the starter case. Try to start again. A little rust can make them stop working.
Are all the connections from the battery to the starter and fuse block tight and clean.
Check the grounds. FYI, a little vasoline film wiped on the battery terminals and grounds before assembling them will keep them from corroding for life. Helps in boats where moisture is always present.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 5:53pm
Lights dimming or going out sounds like a voltage drop when the starter load is applied. How are you battery terminal cable connections? Do you use a wire type post/terminal cleaner before connecting the cables?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by msuskinatique msuskinatique wrote:

..Starter and solenoid tested fine, .

Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

If it still will not turn over try hitting it once or twice with a hammer on the outside of the starter case. Try to start again.

Umm...........why bother if it tested fine?

Smacking a permanent magnet starter like you have can make more problems like broken magnets and then you have a starter that really is broken   

It may sound silly, but if all your connections are good and clean/tight can you turn the engine over by hand with a 15/16 socket on the harmonic balancer bolt?

Or take all the spark plugs out and try to turn it over with the starter and see what happens

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msuskinatique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 6:28pm
I actually pulled the starter and hooked it up to my truck with some jumper cables, solenoid engaged and starter spooled as it should. Maybe there's a faulty ground somewhere that won't let it engage when it's installed in the boat?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msuskinatique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 6:34pm
There's hardly any visible corrosion on the battery cables and poles. I have not thoroughly cleaned them, but have seen boats with much worse connections fire up. Could it really be that simple?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 6:35pm
You won't know unless you clean them and try.
Make sure the cables are still in good condition with good connections from the copper to the cable ends.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 7:09pm

I actually pulled the starter and hooked it up to my truck with some jumper cables, solenoid engaged and starter spooled as it should. Maybe there's a faulty ground somewhere that won't let it engage when it's installed in the boat?

How about the slave/assist solenoid mounted on the engine that sends power to the starter mounted solenoid?

Was that tested and how?
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 7:34pm

There's hardly any visible corrosion on the battery cables and poles. I have not thoroughly cleaned them, but have seen boats with much worse connections fire up. Could it really be that simple?

That is how mine looked, but that was why I could not start. I cut half an inch off the positive wire and installed a new battery terminal and that fixed mine.

If you are judging by how it looks you are not testing the voltage drop.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msuskinatique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 7:45pm
I did not test the assist solenoid. Where is that located exactly? How do I test it? I started the process thinking the solenoid was the problem and actually bought one off nautiqueparts.com and thought I had the wrong one. Maybe I just found the wrong solenoid. I'm not very electrically savvy, so I'm trying to figure out how to test these various items. Thanks for your help.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 8:10pm
Here's a picture that probably came from Nautiqueparts originally.

It's on the back of the engine.

Follow the big red wire from the starter backwards and you'll find the solenoid or follow the cable from the battery and you'll end up at the same spot

If you already have one, just replace it and clean all the connections on the wires that go to it.

Take a picture or make a good drawing of how the wires attach to it before unhooking anything, people have messed this up pretty easily at times.

When you go to START, that red/yellow wire should send power down to the engine mounted solenoid. You should see roughly 12 volts at it's connection to the starter mounted solenoid when you go to START. if the assist solenoid is transmitting power through it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic