NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nautique Releases New "Paragon"

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nautique Releases New "Paragon"
    Posted: January-14-2020 at 2:15pm
Wow Larry, tell us how you really feel.

Originally posted by 1993R 1993R wrote:

"Super Visually Stimulating"

That’s certainly one way of putting it. Stimulating =/ Satisfying.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 2:02pm
C'mon Dad, pleeze, pleeeeze buy me a new Paragon?

Setting aside the looks, I struggle with the ability of those young enough to want to pursue wake surfing seriously enough to be able to afford one of these.

@ 25% down/8 years@6.5%=$3,300/month pmt. Ouch!!

Married 2 years wife and I able to buy new '83 Nautique, ski all the time. Was around $14k.
$50k today. Just no longer relative.

"Son, your body's writing checks your wallet can't cash"
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 12:45pm
You gave them both barrels.

I hope they ban wakes over a certain size in Steuben county soon. Sorry. Those things don't belong here.

Now if we can get on with banning idiots, I'll sign off on that, too, no matter the personal risk.
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 12:38pm
My editorial on a facebook link to a youtube vid of Shaun Murray showing off a Paragon on why I dont think they should have put the Paragon badge on a surf barge. (including a retelling of my Badin/Surf barge story already present above)

Dont think they should have put the paragon badge on a surf barge The paragon badge was originally on a ski nautique. A classy, wood trimmed, subtly colored, classic, luxury ski boat. Ski Nautiques are classics, been around for 59 years and will probably be around a lot longer. Surf barges will never live to be classics. Its a passing phase for people who want something easy. I wont say the boat is too expensive. There is a market for it, so good for the people who can afford it. But I will say, its dumb to spend 200-300,000 or more to go 10 miles an hour and do something Ive seen pictures of dogs doing behind boats. Not saying there arent very talented surfers (tho I would never bother) but the vast majority are just out there, riding behind their boats, destroying the lake and shorelines, and doing the world famous hold a beer can while surfing trick (yawn). If it was me, I would just skip the surfing part (boring) and buy a pontoon boat, for me and my 20 closest friends, and cruise around on that listening to tunes on my blue tooth speaker (vs the $25,000 stereo). Obviously, I dont get surfing, but that doesnt mean its wrong, or at least I didnt think so until recently. So lots of complaints about surfers tearing up lakes and shorelines. OK, those are the knuckleheads. There are respectful surfers too, right? I dont know. Maybe. I boat on a small lake where surf barges are already banned. Have been for years. But hold on. That is coming to a lake near you soon. So I dont have to put up with them. But recently, I trailered to a big lake for the day. The kind of lake big enough where I thought respectable surfers can practice their, uh, "skill" without disrupting everything. I was wrong. As I was heading back to the dock up the main channel, I passed a surf barge. The wakes in the middle of the lake were so huge that they almost swamped my nautique. I had to slow to an idle just to survive it. I and other boaters shouldnt have to put up with that. So, where is that rant going. Surfing is a phase and fad and a bad one. Soon will be banned pretty much everywhere. Surf barges will be a thing of the past, and hence, my original comment, they should not have put the "classic" paragon badge on a soon to be extinct surf barge.   Just my 2 cents.

Sort of disrespectful to the name, kind of like Ford putting the mustang name on a mustang II or on their latest electric crossover.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 12:30pm
On the video, it says.... "Steeper hull angles for smooth rides on choppy days". "Taller free boards".

Hmmm! Sounds a lot like a Martinique, which I got for about $303K less! But, I will admit I don't have the LED light "array" up front for that unmistakable signature appearance.   
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 11:12am
I saw on Facebook a Paragon at the Chicago boat show list 307,000.00 show price 279,000.00 . What happened to the best little ski boat company ?
1993R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1993R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 6:59pm
"Super Visually Stimulating"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 6:43pm
Not to mention that your Subaru couldn't pull it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 6:31pm
Not in that line, lmao, In the line of being double what the base model cost.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 6:24pm
I’d hope you put it up for sale somewhere far away from Deep Lake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Price point is in line with 93', a SN was about 25k and the Paragon was slightly more than double that.

Not sure what 'in line with 93' is referring to, but it would take around 9.5% annual inflation for the last 26 years to get to the new Paragon $$$.
Yikes!
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 5:54pm
Wow, how things have changes in 27 years, Thirf Fairies are taking over, lol
Price point is in line with 93', a SN was about 25k and the Paragon was slightly more than double that.
Lines are somewhat "Stealth Bomberish" & the technology is way up there, That being said, If I got one for free I would sell it, lol
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 5:03pm
Kinda cool that the Paragon name is resurrected. That wake is terrifying and the price is even more scary. Wow.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 4:02pm
This new 'boat' looks like some something from the movie series "Transformers."
Too bad it can't 'transform' into something better looking...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

Looks like a nice way to spend a full day on the water with a whole bunch of friends. Ballast presets by sport and rider are really slick..

Chris,
Sound like you're in favor of shoreline erosion and AIS!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 2:53pm
Ban them to Oceans only, the surfers on shore would benefit from the huge waves coming in.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 2:51pm
I'm sure you've seen it, On an inside corner, the wake energy concentrates as it propagates, so a 2' wake turns into 3-3.5 or more for someone, something unlucky enough to be in its way
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 2:12pm
The space, design, power, and tech on this thing are pretty incredible. Looks like a nice way to spend a full day on the water with a whole bunch of friends. Ballast presets by sport and rider are really slick.

Our lake is too narrow for wake boat use without smashing boats against docks, and also not wealthy enough to see a lot of them. I think they're wonderful in a large open lake or out in the bay. I'm also watching that NH study - I keep my boat in NH. Will be interesting to see what laws they pass. Currently 150' is safe passage, but that's not far enough from shore for a 3' wake to dissipate.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

The removable ice chest is pretty cool. I wonder if you can buy it separately? $10k?

Our lake was full of these monsters this last weekend for an annual air chair competition. During the middle of the day we couldn't even drive down the lake. Probably 20 boats with full ballast and lots of people in each. Four foot rollers everywhere. Also, lot's of arrogant/ignorant driving. Very depressing trend!

New Hampshire has a study committee right now sparked by the legislature, to "study the possible effects of wake boats" - and I'm sure we're not alone in that.

wake boat study committee letter
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 1:18pm
You don’t even need a wake to air chair
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 1:04pm
The removable ice chest is pretty cool. I wonder if you can buy it separately? $10k?

Our lake was full of these monsters this last weekend for an annual air chair competition. During the middle of the day we couldn't even drive down the lake. Probably 20 boats with full ballast and lots of people in each. Four foot rollers everywhere. Also, lot's of arrogant/ignorant driving. Very depressing trend!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I bet next year I’ll see a couple on the lake where we go, being driven by a couple of teenage kids.

We've got a few of the barges up here. Watercraft has been busy selling them. The saddest thing I've seen are the kids out in daddy's barge pulling TUBES!!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 12:34pm
I want to see the trailer of this 7400 pound beast.
Tim D
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 12:11pm

heh, this comes to mind...

"Do you know why? Because WE HAVE THE BOMBS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 11:56am
As far as the ideas about good engineering, design, ergonomics, I tend to agree. I remember the first walkthroughs of the new $120,000 Ski Nautique. Even though a $120,00o boat is in a completely different universe than I am, I appreciated all the performance and ergonomics of it.

As far as surf boats in general, of course, I dont get it. And we all see lots of threads on different websites about the disruption and destruction by these boats and more and more laws against them. I am fine with the eventual elimination of them but my little bit of reasonable side used to say, if you are out in the middle of a huge lake, go for it.

I changed my mind this weekend. I was cruising up the middle of Badin Lake, in my mind, a pretty big lake. I had to cross the wakes of one of these wake barges on my way back to gregs. It nearly sunk me. I had to drop down to an idle to safely make it through them. I have no more tolerance of these stupid things. Not even on huge lakes. Its a ridiculous imposition on everyone else, never mind the fact that they insist on going into ski coves to wreck shorelines, docks, boats and other skiers' water.
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 11:41am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Looks aside, it seems like a really well thought out boat that performs at a very high level, considering it’s intended purpose. It’s just not something that I have any use for or desire to own... even aspirationally.

I do have to respect the apparent attention to detail on this. So many good ideas put into this boat. Some will last, some will trickle down to the other boats in their lineup, some will not I'm sure. As far as long term reliability of all the little one-off features, "yikes" is probably an understatement. But then if you can afford a $265k wake boat, you can afford to pay someone else to deal with any issues it has, or just use your other boat(s) when it's in for service.

On price, I already have a hard time swallowing the price of a "regular" G-series boat or similar. $265K is very near the median home price in New Hampshire, depending on your source ($275-300K). Even the highest-paid people in my local market would struggle to afford one of these, or even a $150k boat for that matter.

I think in another lifetime, on a different body of water (Tahoe, maybe) I could see having a G23, or even one of these. WAIT! Don't ban me, I'm not selling my 210 any time soon, or maybe ever.

And I still really, REALLY want an original Paragon.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 11:30am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

.heck if it had a grill and a crapper I wouldn’t need a house.

Paul,
I'm sure there enough room on that barge!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 11:19am
Local marina is sitting on 3-4 bigass wakesurf boats in stock all summer and likely all winter, Thats a lot of capital tied up for a small operation . They will end up somewhere eventually, but hopefully the trend has peaked here and soured their distribution to waters that are not intended to see those waves without collateral damage to equipment and natural shoreline, thus water quality

River Rat to Mole
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 11:10am
Yeah, they'll be out there on Lake James,.. surfing through our little bay, washing the docks off the posts (this has happened).

Sigh.

Just means I need to retire so I can be on the lake when they're not there... and annoy the poor bastards who still try to fish there.
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 11:05am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Looks aside, it seems like a really well thought out boat that performs at a very high level, considering it’s intended purpose. It’s just not something that I have any use for or desire to own... even aspirationally.

I agree....heck if it had a grill and a crapper I wouldn’t need a house.

I bet next year I’ll see a couple on the lake where we go, being driven by a couple of teenage kids. Last month I waited for about 10 minutes to get gas as the kid couldn’t get daddy’s barge into the fuel slip, maybe the auto thruster will help
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic