NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Material

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringer Material
    Posted: November-04-2019 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

[QUOTE=Nautiquehunter] I have another stringer job to do next year .

Another Stringer Job?????? Did you add one to the Hunter Fleet???

Greg, Good to see your name Pop up. You've been mentioned several times throughout the CCFan gatherings.... Nice to see you pop your head in the window.
/QUOTE]

Yes up to 6 . I wont start the new one until the Mustang is done.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

I have another stringer job to do next year .

Another Stringer Job?????? Did you add one to the Hunter Fleet???

Greg, Good to see your name Pop up. You've been mentioned several times throughout the CCFan gatherings.... Nice to see you pop your head in the window.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 10:13am
This time around I am thinking of laminating 2-3/4 and 1-1/2 inch marine grade plywood to build the stringers and use standard lumber for the load bearing engine supports.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 10:07am
Thanks Greg
I will check with them Monday . I got a quote 1 or 2 years ago but I don't know if it was them. It amounted to 450.00 for just the stringers for a 67 Mustang. I went with Southern Yellow Pine for 60.00
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 9:08pm
Stray thought; going tight on stringer material means you can't afford the rest of the job.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 8:45pm
I don't remember what I paid. Price wasn't the target. I can dig the receipt if needed,

I bought 4/4 and 8/4 and machined all of it. Yes, I cheated because I had the tools.

Select grade of anything isn't cheap.
1988 BFN-sold

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 6:47pm
Greg I used your thread to refer Mike to Sweetwater. Check around 10 comments and the answers past that. link Prices obviously have gone up, but how much? Do you remember what you paid?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 6:23pm

https://sweetwaterlumber.com/Home

It's been a few years since I was there, but they had enough to board up New York at the time.
1988 BFN-sold

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 6:13pm
Last year I looked all over for Douglass Fur and couldn't find it for less than 150 per board.
I settled for Southern yellow pine heavily coated with CPES. I have another stringer job to do next year . Does anyone have a Doug Fur source anywhere neat Georgia?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Wow, the one and only Greg from the past! Glad to see you're still with us Greg.

OK, so now I'm a re-run.   

I'll never forget shaking your hand either. If you really loved me I'd have gotten a ride in the Dunphy.   
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 4:48pm
Wow, the one and only Greg from the past! Glad to see you're still with us Greg.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

NP Greg great to see you still around,hope all is well

All is well and I'll never forget shaking your hand.
1988 BFN-sold

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 3:50pm
NP Greg great to see you still around,hope all is well
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 2:03pm

There is alot of insight here,have you tried a search? This one is one of the best Weeding the Pumkin Patch. Such an early effort which sadly used photobucket who are now holding the pictures hostage. There are no fancy composite construction on these Douglas Fir stringered Correct Crafts

Thank You Gary.   
1988 BFN-sold

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 12:44am
Here's a link to what I just found in the Google Web Store and added to Google Chrome that seems to have worked

link

And....................I did it all by myself, so most anybody should be able to do the same
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 12:33am

My "IT" professional did not want me to use that fix Ken so I never had it. That said I'm thinking I'm seeing the thread you linked the same as you

I just found a new fix that was dated Sept 2019 and Pete's pictures are clear again.

I think though that not all pictures show up depending on whether they're still on Photobucket or got removed maybe by the person who originally put them there.

I'll try and explain the new one in the morning or maybe put a link to it

Using the latest "fix" , I just looked at "Weeding the Pumpkin Patch" and the great majority of the pictures show up nice and clear again
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 12:20am
My "IT" professional did not want me to use that fix Ken so I never had it. That said I'm thinking I'm seeing the thread you linked the same as you
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 12:14am

We are on the same page Pete! Is Ken's photobucket fix still working?

Ken would say.............sorta but not the way it used to

I go to Pete's "Proper prop installation" thread in the link below to see if it works.

Originally with the fix, the pictures were nice and clear, now they have that Photobucket symbol and they're grainy/fuzzy.

I'll have to round up the local "geek squad" and see if they can find a later version of the fix

link
CTYSouthwind20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTYSouthwind20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 11:38pm
Thanks guys, another great thread. I'm sorry photobucket hijacked the photos; they'd be helpful. I'll take pics of mine during dismantle.
Charlie
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 11:22pm
We are on the same page Pete! Is Ken's photobucket fix still working?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 11:21pm
There is alot of insight here,have you tried a search? This one is one of the best Weeding the Pumkin Patch. Such an early effort which sadly used photobucket who are now holding the pictures hostage. There are no fancy composite construction on these Douglas Fir stringered Correct Crafts
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 11:20pm
Charlie,
I feel the rotten wood you have was Doug Fir for the mains, any type of pine for any other solid framing and then plywood. Nothing fancy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
CTYSouthwind20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTYSouthwind20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 10:23pm
I'm digging into my 78 Southwind 20 hull restoration, finding the floor, and sidewalls of engine compartment are rotten. I'm assuming the stringers are, or may be as well. Does anyone have any insight as to what the original materials of construction were. The floor was plywood, with a framed opening in solid wood around engine hatch. What about the engine compartment sidewalls? Beneath engine mounts? Stringers?

Were these hulls balsa core, or did CC use Klegecell (or some other rigid, closed cell foam)? I re-cored an EScow one time, and I don't think I'm up for that again. Looking for any experience related to how far is too far!

This is a great forum, thank you all for your interest in CC. I've enjoyed mine for a couple of decades!
Charlie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic