Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Polishing plexiglass windshield

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polishing plexiglass windshield
    Posted: October-09-2019 at 9:42pm
The plexi windshield on my Mustang is likely original. It's structurally fine but has gotten cloudy.

Over the summer I polished it several times with Meguiar's PlastX. This brought it back to an acceptable level of clarity, but after sitting for a few weeks (either in the sun or under a cover) the windshield would cloud up again. Another round of polish would bring it back to serviceable.

Any suggestions on a polish or sealant that will keep it clear? At the moment I can't see through it at all if driving toward the sun. I could order a new windshield from UPD but I'd rather not spend the money. I'm tempted to spray it with a UV-stable automotive clear coat. I've done this on headlights after wet sanding and it works to keep them clear for years.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 11:47pm
Chris,
Did you polish by hand or use a buffer? By hand you don't cut deep enough.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2019 at 5:44pm
Just by hand. I'll try the buffer before I shrink wrap the boat for the winter. Even by hand I could see the oxidized layer coming off on the wax pad.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic