NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chucky’s 1966 Mustang rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 11>
Author
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 1:37pm
Pete, I am not sure anyone knows what we are talking about anymore.   The seal post has sure taken up some ink. Going to be a long winter by the looks of it. Enjoy your Holiday.
Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Chucky Chucky wrote:

I came across this chart. I find it very interesting and very related to our rear main seal conundrum. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Are you thinking because of the engine angle the oil capacity should be less? If so, you also need to factor in many marine engines have specifically designed oil pans. So, in most cases, oil capacity is the same for auto and marine for the same engine.

I have to admit Duane, I read it and thought the same thing Pete did

I think Chucky should post a picture of either his carburetor or his distributor or both next, for some what should we call it? CCF scrutiny

For some reason I'm sensing a Holley that looks a little different than the typical marine Holley for a 302. But it could be marine
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2019 at 8:18am
Thanks for setting me straight, but... here’s a page out of a genuine marine maintenance manual. Must be some special? pan that holds...wait a minute...only 4 quarts? That can’t be right.
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2019 at 8:23am
Maybe the Chevy guys had a special ($$$$) pan...? Or, maybe not.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2019 at 8:57am
So...........why not just tilt your oil pan at a 15 degree angle with it off the engine and pour in some oil and see how much it takes to get the level where you want it?

Then you can redo the dipstick marks if you need to
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2019 at 9:56pm

Trailer mods mostly complete / painting it black by the end of the year.
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2019 at 11:13pm
Winch / roller modification done (moved winch location) and in primer, along with a couple other tidbits. Paint coming soon, then it’s back to the boat. It was -8 degrees here this morning. The lake I plan to initially test the boat on, McMahon, is frozen enough to drive a pickup truck across.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2019 at 11:44pm

The lake I plan to initially test the boat on, McMahon, is frozen enough to drive a pickup truck across.

So here's the flaw in your plan ..... you could be initially testing the trailer on the lake, not the boat!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2019 at 8:28pm
About...1/2 way there...
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2019 at 4:27pm
I “serviced” the axle bearings and replaced the leaf spring attaching hardware. The trailer came with bearing buddies. Having never owned them in the past, I went through my own process of deciding if they are a good product. Long story short - I tossed them in the garbage can.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2019 at 5:12pm
Bearing Buddies...

IMO, the Bearing Buddies work OK if you do the following:

- Quality grease seal
- Use cover (Bearing Buddy Bra or something similar)
- Don't pump too much grease into the axle and blow-out the grease seal
- Check regularly to ensure that grease level is appropriate
- Use quality marine grease

They are not a "set-it-and-forget-it" item, but I've put many, many miles on my trailers without a bearing failure to date.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2019 at 5:15pm

The trailer came with bearing buddies. Having never owned them in the past, I went through my own process of deciding if they are a good product. Long story short - I tossed them in the garbage can.

Why?? What's you "own process"? Here's what happens: After a trailers been on the road the bearing area heats up. Then when the trailer goes into the cooler water a vacuum is formed sucking water into the bearings. The spring loaded bearing buddy prevents this from happening. I'd suggest getting them out of the garbage before your next garbage pickup.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2019 at 7:42pm
Chucky,

It's Mom,...........you've been a baaad boy

It's not nice to get old Mr Brainard all worked up on Christmas Eve, so nothing will be in your stocking

Then again, it's your trailer and you should be able to do whatever you want whether it bothers him or not
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2019 at 4:26pm
The lake we frequent has about a 3 mile steep downhill on a one lane road to reach the launch. The brakes are hot at the bottom of that hill. I have bearing buddies on all 4 axles and I have water in the brake hubs every year when I take them apart.   I have started using Low Range in the truck with my boat brakes disconnected while I go down this hill. The Low Range keeps my speed down below 15 MPH and works well. Truck and boat brakes stay cool, I don't get water in my hubs anymore. I like bearing buddies but in my application the heat was pulling in water.

I see you plan to paint the trailer black, Black does look very good when clean. I went back to a White Trailer.   Our summer heat can be 100* often and the black trailer would be so hot I could not touch it with bare hands or feet. White stays nice and cool so for me it was good change.

Merry Christmas.
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2019 at 6:46pm
Fenders and wheels not done, but I’m getting real close now.

Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2019 at 6:53pm
Mini-bunks are canted at 10 degrees to match the boat. They’re also adjustable (in and out). The main bunks are also able to change angle front to back, after I modified the rear mounts. They should contour to the bottom of the boat, once the boat is back on it.

Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2020 at 6:23pm
So close to switching back to the boat. Trailer is about 98% new. Wheels / tires yet to be determined.
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2020 at 6:28pm
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2020 at 1:25pm
Boat officially sitting on trailer now. Although it’s not the factory trailer, I’m liking it.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2020 at 6:27am
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2020 at 9:52am
Not factory but it does have a good look. As long as the boat sits down between the fenders it works for me. Great job.
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 10:45pm
Although the fluid was clean, I simply don’t know the history. Might as well start at zero.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 10:30am
Yep. That is same kit I was going to get, thanks for confirming
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2020 at 2:48pm
Preparing for kit to arrive...
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2020 at 4:34pm
Your shop is way too clean. I don't trust you ......
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2020 at 11:55pm
Please let me know if all parts are used in kit , number plates and stuff

Looks like a tv sit com garage All props
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2020 at 9:27am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Please let me know if all parts are used in kit , number plates and stuff

Looks like a tv sit com garage All props

The kit has enough parts like clutch plates to do a 72C/10-18 transmission so you (and Chucky) will have parts left over.

You can try to cram them all in, but you won't succeed even with a big hammer

If you post a picture of your ID tag on the transmission, that'll be a good start to figuring out what's inside it before you start tearing into it
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2020 at 10:45am
My tag is hard to read but I believe it says 10-17. 71c
I remember talk about extra plates so curious what chunky finds
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2020 at 11:36am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

My tag is hard to read but I believe it says 10-17. 71c
I remember talk about extra plates so curious what chunky finds

I believe that what you believe needs to get looked at again

In 1967 the terminology As 10-17 hadn't come about yet.

It'll probably say AS1-71C unless a much newer transmission was put in at some time
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2020 at 11:55am
Yes good idea,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic