Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chucky’s 1966 Mustang rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 11>
Author
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 1:03pm
P
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Chucky Chucky wrote:

The trans question was, if I send it out for rebuild, has anyone had a good or bad experience with any particular shop? I have found someone local, but I’m doing a bit more research / might attempt it myself.

Doing it yourself is a good choice sine it sounds like you are very capable. Are you just doing it for a refresh or do you know if there were problems with it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 2:37pm
P
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 3:18pm
The Velvet drives are pretty tough and really need to be abused or overheated before a rebuild is needed. My 64 still runs great and in the close to 50 years I've had it has only had one fluid change. That was when I first got it and went to the ATF over the 30 that was in it. The fluid still looks nice and pink and without any burnt smell. Since you mentioned your fluid is still pink, I'd be inclined to give it just a paint job and go for it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 4:14pm
I repaired my 78 trans twice, both due to being an old jet boat driver.
Twice in my first few years of Nautique ownership 40 years ago I had a boat suddenly turn in front of me at speed.   Driving Jet boats you always had brakes, slam it into reverse and gas it. The Jet boat would stop on a dime.
Well I learned slowly that Nautique trannys break when this is done. Twice.
In both cases it was stop fast or hit a boat, in both cases we did not hit anything but broke my boat. I learned slowly after the first one and did it again about a year later.. We used to ski a lot on the winding Sacramento river, in places where we went to find glass water it was narrow and winding.   Once in while you would come around a corner and find 3 or 4 boats coming straight at you and everyone had to scramble for space.    
The tranny came out easy and was not hard to tear apart and replace the broken parts.
I say easy because as a fairly young man with no tranny experience I was able to tear it apart in my garage and replace the broken parts and both times it worked like brand new afterwards.   
If memory serves correctly I pulled the boat tranny out Saturday and we were back on the water on Sunday. I believe the 78 did still use the Velvet Drive.
West Coast Correct Craft was only 4 miles from my home and had all the parts on hand and they always offered advice on install if needed. It was sad when they closed shop.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Could make a call to engineering to ask.

I think you should make a call to engineering to ask

Here are pictures of both seals in question

First seal is a National Seal sold by FelPro

First picture is a closeup of a LH rotation one piece seal's helix lines outboard of the spring loaded v contact seal and inboard of what some would call the dirt seal or others might call it the outboard seal.

I've been told that the helix lines lay flat on the shaft when the seal is installed and the lines direct leakage past the seal inwards to give some lubrication to the lip where it contacts the shaft otherwise dry rubber on a dry shaft would leak before long.

Second one courtesy of David G a while back shows the 2 piece rubber seal riding directly over the helix lines and I was given the same explanation of lubrication for the seal whether it's rubber or rope

So there must be somebody you can call in Federal Mogul's engineering dept to get their explanation

It made sense to me years ago after lots of thought and still does but that don't mean it's right either

Chucky

I figured I'd add on to this post so all the pictures are in the same spot.

Here's a few minutes worth of todays fun

It's a picture of a cutaway FelPro seal over a piece of white plastic that's the same diameter as a 302 output flange where the seal sits.

The inner V lip, the helix area and the outer dirt seal are all in contact with the shaft when the seal is installed. I figure the V lip has the most pressure against the shaft with the help of the spring, but the helix area sure is touching.

Anybody can draw whatever conclusions they want from this picture.

One of my conclusions is that I can have fun in some strange ways Another is that
it wasn't too smart of me to cut up a brand new seal just to see how it works.......or was it?   

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Anybody can draw whatever conclusions they want from this picture.

One of my conclusions is that it wasn't too smart of me to cut up a brand new seal just to see how it works.......or was it?

KENO:

We've come to expect precisely this from you:
- cut something up
- take something apart
- remove and replace from perfectly good engine
- spend your own ca$h at the parts store to acquire the "objects" in question
- have the parts numbers at your fingertips

...and, last but not least...punctuate your statement with the smiley 1-eye wink emoji

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 10:30pm
If I knew you were gonna comment I would have painted the plastic piece RED

Here comes the winky just for you
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 11:55pm
In the last photo shown above the Seal is crushed down on the white plastic, release some pressure and the actual shape of the seal will come back. Properly installed the V Shape with the spring still clearly shows as a V shape. Picture below shows a similar seal with a dirt excluder on the outside lip but the V shape with a Spring, shown a a circle riding on the V shape is how a seal rides on the crankshaft.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2019 at 10:04am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

In the last photo shown above the Seal is crushed down on the white plastic, release some pressure and the actual shape of the seal will come back. Properly installed the V Shape with the spring still clearly shows as a V shape. Picture below shows a similar seal with a dirt excluder on the outside lip but the V shape with a Spring, shown a a circle riding on the V shape is how a seal rides on the crankshaft.

You might be surprised how little pressure was being applied to the seal

Having another complete uncut seal right there to slip on the plastic piece, I used just enough pressure to approximate the fit of that seal when I took the picture of the cut seal.

In the picture there's still a gap that can be seen in the area between where the helix lines end and the outboard seal. (the area that would be filled with grease when installing the seal} I could have squeezed that right down to nothing pretty easily...........but I didn't.

Maybe you just have to have the seals in your hand to understand.

I guess you'll just have to check with the National Seals engineering dept to get those helix questions in the first 2 pictures answered. I'm reasonably sure they're much more qualified to answer the helix questions than the guy I got the info from

Time to let Chucky decide what he's gonna do.

The smooth seal will be showing up in his mailbox this week and he can do whatever he wants with it.
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2019 at 1:45pm
P
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2019 at 8:36pm
I have received 2 notes back from the Head Engineer at Fel-Pro and he sent a request to his man that is in charge of seals, that guy may end up going to the people at National that make the seals.   This week is Thanksgiving week and typically many of those guys take the week off so I don't know when I may get an answer, but I did ask.
I thought it was very nice of the head guy to answer on a Sunday but we did work together for 20+ years.   For now, I will wait and see what can be learned.
I asked exactly what the lines on teh outside of the seal do and if they would affect sealing a Reverse Rotation engine, I asked them to verify Teflon as it relates to reverse rotation and I gave them the facts that many of these 351W engines are set up for Reverse Rotation and currently there are no seals available and asked for a recomendation.
From past experience I can share that they normally will not tool up for a new part unless you have an order for 5,000 or so or agree to pay for all tooling costs.   That is not going to happen.   I doubt there are 5,000 Reverse Rotation rull round seal engines out there running or at least not that many that will be wanting a new seal soon.
Since the head guy requested the information I suspect we will get an answer soon.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2019 at 9:17pm
Good deal Mark it will be interesting what they say. Just to confirm it seems that reverse 351 seal are available,it's the 302's that are NLA
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2019 at 9:46pm
Mark,
Great and I hope you get some good info over guessing with using finger pressure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 7:19am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mark,
Great and I hope you get some good info over guessing with using finger pressure.

I know what you mean Pete.

The nerve of that guy, actually trying to help Chucky and anybody else with the same dilemma.

What's he doing pointing out to Chucky that his "smooth" teflon seal actually had ribs on it and showing it in a picture.

Or even worse he points out to MrMcD the actual location of the helix lines on the non teflon one piece seal using a picture again

Then he actually has the nerve to take a one piece seal and sand off the helix lines and offer it to Chucky at no cost so he can inspect it and try it if he thinks it'll work.

Chucky wanted to pay him but he told Chucky it was free as long as he posted the results whether good or bad for anybody else with the same problem.

And then he takes a perfectly good seal and cuts it apart to show how it sits on the shaft, and you over the computer can judge how the seal was or wasn't pressed down to hard.

It reminds me about your comment on the "hardware store" distributor spring recently that he chose to let slide since he's been thanked by a number of people who have gotten one and used it with good results in spite of what you might think of it.

I'd give MrMcD plenty of credit for at least reading everything and following up with Federal Mogul

You on the other hand.......well we'll just leave it unsaid

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Good deal Mark it will be interesting what they say. Just to confirm it seems that reverse 351 seal are available,it's the 302's that are NLA

Like Gary said it's the 302's that have the lack of availability.

351 one piece RR seals are out there

The one in the link has been used by quite a few people

link
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 8:49am
P
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 4:18pm
Well, I did get a response this morning and no progress has been made.   
Therer are no seals available for the Reverse Rotation 302 but they were nice enough to point us to the available 351W full round that is available but they do not know the quality of that product. They were kind enough to point out the purpose of the ribs, that agrees with what Ken had read so the ribs even on the outside do help control oil leaks.

"The reverse rotation seal we used to offer, 17748, was a split seal 2 piece design. I could not find anything in a one-piece design that was reverse rotation ever offered by Fel-Pro and we do not offer the 17748 2 piece seal anymore.

I would not suggest trying to sand off the ribs on the seal. The lip of the seal will allow a little oil to get past it and it is the job of the ribs to direct that oil back into the engine. By removing the ribs, there would be nothing there to direct the oil back into the engine. The ribs work on the Archimedes pump principle.

Teflon Seals are deffinately directional.

I took a peek on Ebay to see if there was any NOS floating around and there was none.

I then Googled Ford marine 351 RMB seal and found www.alexsparts.com which offers a one piece reverse rotation RMB seal. I’m sorry to say we don’t offer anything that would help you & your friends out. I hate to send you to someone else for a part, especially since I don’t know the quality but we don’t have a part to offer you."
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 5:15pm
Lots of interesting information – still seems based on the above info that a better seal (Perhaps the Teflon) would keep the least amount of oil from getting by the lip – then if you have no grooves to send it back or even if you do should be minimized, but it is out it is out. Perhaps etching in a few crank grooves and putting in a smoothed out seal would be better.   I don't know that this is a particularly vexing problem for the industry to solve as it seems there were possibly no or extremely few 1 piece rear main seal reverse rotation 302s ever built.   Very few correctcrafts after 83 had 302s and it is possible the few that have been seen in 83/84 mustangs/ski tiques’ were left over two piece blocks.

Absent the special order 25 piece minimum plus tooling cost seals I have never seen one listed that then became NLA. Basically the only usage is for those required to replace either the block or crankshaft while rebuilding a older 302 correctcraft, or someone looking to build a RH stroker 302 for again an older correct craft.   Maybe there is a twin 302 rig from the 80s out there somewhere but my guess is you were looking to go with a set of small counter rotating v8s by then you only had the chevy options.   Be interesting to know if any were actually ever made....
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 5:42pm
Where did "that guy" who had them made get them? Rope seal is working fine for my 2 piece block but they are hard to find now as well. And I imagine a RR rope seal is next to impossible to find now days,probably thrown out along with the NOS muffler bearings and Johnson rods when those shops closed....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Where did "that guy" who had them made get them? Rope seal is working fine for my 2 piece block but they are hard to find now as well. And I imagine a RR rope seal is next to impossible to find now days,probably thrown out along with the NOS muffler bearings and Johnson rods when those shops closed....

I am 99% sure it was Felpro, it might have been PCM that gave us the inside sales contact information because the buyer was a direct dealer for PCM at the time. The 2 piece rubber seal for normal rotation works fine. I don't definitively know if the reverse rotation version was ever different or not but I do know from first hand experience that with a two piece block and a rh wick line crank the current 2 piece standard rotation seals work fine.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Lots of interesting information – still seems based on the above info that a better seal (Perhaps the Teflon) would keep the least amount of oil from getting by the lip – then if you have no grooves to send it back or even if you do should be minimized, but it is out it is out. Perhaps etching in a few crank grooves and putting in a smoothed out seal would be better.   I don't know that this is a particularly vexing problem for the industry to solve as it seems there were possibly no or extremely few 1 piece rear main seal reverse rotation 302s ever built.   Very few correctcrafts after 83 had 302s and it is possible the few that have been seen in 83/84 mustangs/ski tiques’ were left over two piece blocks.

Absent the special order 25 piece minimum plus tooling cost seals I have never seen one listed that then became NLA. Basically the only usage is for those required to replace either the block or crankshaft while rebuilding a older 302 correctcraft, or someone looking to build a RH stroker 302 for again an older correct craft.   Maybe there is a twin 302 rig from the 80s out there somewhere but my guess is you were looking to go with a set of small counter rotating v8s by then you only had the chevy options.   Be interesting to know if any were actually ever made....

Here's the PCM part number for the 302RR one piece seal in the picture below. of a page (B9-1) in the PCM illustrated parts manual R047127. It was a Ford supplied seal part number E2JE-6701-A2A

Both went the way of the dinosaur

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 8:19pm
Meanwhile back at the garage, I figure since Pete didn't like my cutaway seal picture but mostly because I was curious, I'd do a cutaway of a 351w one piece rear main seal.

Since I have a short block taking up some garage space, it was relatively easy to take of the #5 main bearing cap, cut another new seal in half, slide it in place and take some measurements and a picture.

If you look at the picture, the shiny wear spot from the V seal is .060 inches wide, we'll call that 1/16 of an inch.

You'll also notice that the outer seal comes nowhere near touching the shaft. I could slip a .028 inch feeler gauge between the output flange and the seal all the way around.

That caught me by surprise but I also had a complete 351w close by and could do the same feeler gauge check with it's installed non leaking seal.

That ain't gonna hold back any oil that gets past the v and the helix

Who would have thought that the outer seal had a giant gap like that? The 302 outer lip may seat differently on the shaft, but it's on the way to Chucky and he can take a look at that.

Now the most interesting part is that from the tip of the V to the end of the helix lines on the seal was about .060 inch (1/16 inch) which happens to be how wide that shiny wear groove mentioned earlier was. No spring was put over the v area and I didn't dare press on it (to keep Pete from questioning my brute?strength) but the spring flattens things out a little giving that 1/16 inch wide sealing area mentioned earlier.

Seems to tell me that the point of the v and the helix area ride on the shaft, then there's a gap of about .028 inches the rest of the way back to and including the second (dust) seal

Couple this with MrMcD's info from FelPro posted earlier and you can bet a certain part of your anatomy that the helix has a purpose and is directional

Once again it might be one of those "you have to be there in person to understand it all type things"

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2019 at 2:45am
Ken, you did a ton of homework on this. I wish we found something that would confirm we have a seal and it will work.

If I had to build one for my boat today and knowing there are no RR seals available I believe I would choose an Automotive standard rotation seal, install it and hope for the best.
Since it still has the point contact and spring trying to hold oil in place I would Guess, and that is all I can do, guess that any leak woud be minimal.
If you have to wipe up 10 drops per season at least you still have a season.
I would guess it would not be a measureable amount lost between oil changes but guessing is like assuming.   But if it was mine with the lack of options available that is what I would do. I would not try the teflon on an RR engine.

Do to the low volume of demand I do not see anyone tooling up to give us a better option.

For those that can't accept this they can convert to a standard rotation engine or install the newer transmission with 1.23:1 which would allow standard rotation for your engine.
Either of these would cost a boat load of money.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2019 at 1:47pm
Sometimes you just have one of those "huh" moments.

I was thinking about the gap at the back of the 351 seal and didn't remember having that gap with the 302 seal held lightly in place over the white plastic piece earlier in the thread.

So I dug the cut up seals out of the trash, put them side by side and there's quite a difference

On the 302 seal the outer lip seats against the shaft unlike the 351 seal that has the gap at the outer lip.

So Chucky, I think you have a fighting chance here to maybe have a non leaker if you try that smooth seal that's in the mail I'd fill that area between the lips with some really heavy, sticky, gooey grease

Here's a picture of the seals next to each other 302 on the bottom with 2 contact areas on the shaft 351 on top with just one

Whatever you do Chucky, good luck

Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 9:45am
P
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Chucky Chucky wrote:

I came across this chart. I find it very interesting and very related to our rear main seal conundrum. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Are you thinking because of the engine angle the oil capacity should be less? If so, you also need to factor in many marine engines have specifically designed oil pans. So, in most cases, oil capacity is the same for auto and marine for the same engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Are you thinking because of the engine angle the oil capacity should be less? If so, you also need to factor in many marine engines have specifically designed oil pans. So, in most cases, oil capacity is the same for auto and marine for the same engine.

Yes Pete, that is exactly what the manual says   Second sentence under PROCEDURE FOR FILLING TRANSMISSION WITH OIL
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 1:05pm
A little clearer pic from the BW manual
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 1:32pm
Duane,
Yes, that's the chart for the trans but I'm reading Chucks post differently. Since there are 2 pages of rear main engine seal talk, I'm taking Chuck feels the engine oil capacity should be less just like the trans at an angle. I may be off base but I did ask him what his thinking was.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic