Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chucky’s 1966 Mustang rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 11>
Author
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2020 at 6:02pm
Good to know on the packing. I think the reason it’s hard to determine the size is that the precise measurement ends up between 3/16” & 1/4”. But, closer to 1/4” than 3/16”. I’m going to try the 1/4”. I’ll let you know how it goes. The garbage man already took the packaging, so you should just buy Ken a burger anyway. Here’s the steering in it’s neutral position. Glad I didn’t drill the hole yet. (Still need to flip those bolts on the strut.)
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2020 at 10:35am
Nice clean bilge. Ok the referee says I owe ken a burger
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2020 at 10:12pm
Anybody recognize this guy?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2020 at 10:39pm
Is it this guy when he first started boating before monogrammed shirts or even clothes ?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2020 at 4:38pm
My brother in law tipped me off to that little baby boat. I think it’s cool. Finally flipped my strut bolts and finished the steering. 1/4” packing for my rudder and 3/16” for the prop shaft.
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2020 at 4:47pm
While prepping the log, I noticed a significant brass ridge along the bottom. It was “parting line” material from when the log was cast. Ofcourse the worker smoothed the top of the log, but not the bottom. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if this caused a leak. I realize you want the packing to drip slightly, but not the log / hose connection. A smooth log is a happy log.

Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2020 at 4:52pm
Made this...I’m calling it a dust boot. I’ll crimp a cap on the end.

Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2020 at 4:59pm
Made this to consolidate the previous 3! different switch bezels into 1 and to cover 2 fugly holes in the dash. It also happens to follow the design of the main gauge panel.

Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2020 at 5:10pm
Yes...it’s true. Not all of my parts are USCG approved. I’m ok with it. This boat is not going to be “shown”, or anything like that. It will be used (sadly) very little. Maybe 6 times a year. I have too many other things I like to do. When not in use, it will be stored indoors. Having said that, I’m excited to have this custom “made for this boat” harness coming in the mail.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2020 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Chucky Chucky wrote:

Yes...it’s true. Not all of my parts are USCG approved. I’m ok with it.

Now why'd you go and say that Chucky?

Now somebody's bound to ask...........What's not marine? any of that stuff that makes for kinda fiery explosions like starter, carburetor, fuel lines, alternator, distributor.

Or something lame like your wiring harness doesn't have tinned wires (and the USCG doesn't care about that anyways)

You can just say "it was marine in 1966"   
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2020 at 10:18pm
I said it because...I like to stir the pot once in a while.    I truly messed up on the purchase of my engine to transmission hardware. Let’s just say 1/2” is a wee bit too big (son of a bitch!). Oh well, at least I like going to the hardware store.

MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2020 at 10:43pm
If that is your biggest mistake you are doing really well in my book.
'92 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2020 at 8:38am

I said it because...I like to stir the pot once in a while.

That's just statng the obvious   
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2020 at 4:01pm

I truly messed up on the purchase of my engine to transmission hardware. Let’s just say 1/2” is a wee bit too big (son of a bitch!). Oh well, at least I like going to the hardware store.

A friend-of-a-friend built a large home shop. During the build he attended an auction at a closing hardware store. He purchased the entire hardware aisle for $600 (including all the bins), and has the whole thing set up along one side of his space. I'm incredibly jealous.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2020 at 10:48am
I’ve always wanted a couple of those professionals templates they have on top of the bolts bins to test sae and metric bolts instead of taking my unknown thread to store
Would love full sae stainless bins   
ACE hardware in CA is best
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2020 at 11:25am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

ACE hardware in CA is best

Only if you only need a couple fasteners and want to pay 10 times what the cost should be.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2020 at 11:56am
Sure. The selection and variety is better
Where do you go on Saturday morning for nuts
There’s no orange ‘boatdepot’ In CA
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2020 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Sure. The selection and variety is better
Where do you go on Saturday morning for nuts
There’s no orange ‘boatdepot’ In CA

McMaster for full boxes. A Saturday order will be at my door before 10 am Monday and that's their standard delivery.

Home Depot! They have the same Hillman junk as Ace.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2020 at 10:59pm
My son helped me today. I’ll admit, I stress out when moving heavy (dangerous) engines high up in the air. But, we took our time and I’m close to drilling holes for the mounts. This was not “just set it in there and everything is good”...I had to make several “adjustments”. It doesn’t help that the log is 1/2” off center, the holes in the mounts are not “centered” over the stringers, and I had to “notch” the floor board for the front mounts to fit. One small step for man, one giant leap for this boat.
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2020 at 7:14pm
Son of a Bitch! I got to practice taking the trans out today. I guess it’s better I noticed it now. Trying to move forward sometimes involves going backwards.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2020 at 9:48pm
Nice pictures Chucky, if only there were some kind of description of what happened, to go with 'em.

I usually get a little smarter after backwards steps like you're taking, I bet you will too
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2020 at 10:53pm
The flywheel ring gear nearly fit inside the bellhousing, except where it didn’t, right where the starter goes in. I noticed it while installing the two bottom dust shield bolts. These parts have never been joined together until now. I removed the transmission and ground a bit of clearance. Yes, there was slight resistance when first bolting the trans to the engine. I thought it was the fact that the PO had allowed paint to enter the holes in which the locating / alignment pins go into. It’s all good now and I should make forward progress tomorrow. I did lag bolt the mounts to the stringers and attach the prop shaft, with safety wire on the lock bolts. I also secured the steering cable with 5/8” cushion clamps, allowing it to still “move” when it needs to. The goal was to run the shift and carb cables / mount the Morse control today...but, I spent several hours correcting the clearance issue.

The first picture is what it looked like inside the bellhousing after I removed the trans from the engine / boat.

The second picture is after grinding and re-installation.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 9:01am
What’s the tooth count on the flywheel?

If the flywheel didn’t clear the bellhousing then I don’t have high hopes for the starter.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 10:46am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

What’s the tooth count on the flywheel?

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You tell the guy at the parts store that you need a flywheel and/or ring gear to fit a 1967 Mustang with a 289 and a 4 speed transmission.

The ring gear is 157 teeth.

Don't tell them you need a flywheel for an automotive those all had 164 teeth and were a bigger diameter .

Here's a picture with the Ford part number cast into the flywheel There have been a few updated part numbers over the years but they're 157 teeth in the marine application.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 11:11am
My ultra keen x ray eyeballs say that's a 157 tooth flywheel that Chucky has in the picture.   

Or maybe since his ring gear is on the back of the flywheel it's a 157 tooth. A 164 would have the ring gear at the front of the flywheel.

HM's like in John B's marathon thread have used 164 tooth flywheels with a bell housing and starter suited for the 164 setup.

The starter for the 157 has a nose depth of 2 3/8 inches and the starter for the 164 has a depth of 2 inches. This pertains to boats and not necessarily to every Ford automotive application.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 11:27am
The link below is to an appropriate page in John B's thread. Maybe go back a page and forward a page in the thread too   

link

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 12:42pm
Well I know that it should be a 157... but why didn’t that clear the bell housing? I’d be counting again if it were me.
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 12:43pm
Looks like I might need to swap flywheels.

So for clarity...It appears Ford decided to 1.) have different balance weights 2.) have different sizes / tooth counts AND 3.) have different bellhousing starter bolt locations.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 1:00pm

I have a 164 tooth flywheel. Yes, a 157 tooth is what would have fit better. But, it really didn’t take much to clear the 164 in just that one spot and what is done, is done. You know what they say about hind sight. Also, yes, the starter type is critical for proper function. I’m looking at Arco for a future purchase. Definitely a “short” starter is what I need. Anybody want to buy a long starter?   

You might want to say that you have a real mess on your hands if you don't have a bell housing made for a 164 tooth flywheel also. If you have a bell housing for a 157 and you have a 164, then good luck trying to find anything that will fit and engage properly.

You can't mix and match 157 and 164 bell housings, flywheels and starters.

I'd try to explain it more but you'll figure it out

It sure looks like the gear is on the back and it would be a 157, but you must know what you have.

Try to stick whatever you have for a starter in there and see what happens

Edit looks like I quoted before you edited/ changed your post
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 4:39pm
A little birdie tells me that Chucky has this all figured out and understood now.    

Needs 157 teeth and 50 0z. imbalance for his later one piece rear main seal engine. not the 164 that's crammed in there. The 157 that came with the boat project is the older 28 oz imbalance flywheel so he's getting a new one.

He'l be able to write a book about the trials and tribulations of replacing a RR older 302 with a 2 piece rear main seal with a newer 1 piece rear main seal 302 set up for RR

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic