Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inboard Engine and Trans for sale

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
StangFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StangFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inboard Engine and Trans for sale
    Posted: October-13-2019 at 4:08pm
Hello,
I have an OMC 225 HP (Chevy 307) and velvet drive trans from a 1975 Mustang 17 for sale.
Both in working order, but the engine should be refreshed. It does run fine though. Oil leak at rear main, and a non issue crack in water jacket. The crack does not leak. I swapped in a newer engine and trans, and someone with authenticity in mind may have an interest in this unit. Located in southern New York. I can provide pictures, and a video of the engine running in the boat just before I took it out. Looking for $800.00. Negotiable
Best regards to all.

Hi, hopefully these photos are clear. This also includes the trans oil cooler, which is new, and water pump is new. New Edelbrock marine carb. Original Quadrajet could not be restored. Unfortunately, the positive cable connection on the starter solenoid broke when I was trying to remove it. Needs a new solenoid.
CCFAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 3:09pm
Do you have any pictures you could share? Scott
Scott
StangFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StangFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 7:05pm
I do have pictures. Working on how to upload them. Will do as soon as I can get this to work. Thank you.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 5:22am
The 305 was a good little engine, just a small version of the 350 using the same 3.5" stroke but smaller pistons. Rather than 4" bore like a 350 it is a 3.78' bore in the 305.

A upgrade you never hear of is to take a 3.75" stroke crankshaft which is usually used to convert a 350 to a 383 and is very popular, cranks are available for around $225 brand new.

Take a 3.75" stroke crank and install it in the 305 and it gives you 348 cubic inches but the layout is more similar to what Oldsmobiles did, smaller pistons and longer stroke.
The 348 conversion is not a race engine but it makes a very nice torque monster out of the 305 engine for not much money.   In testing the 348 out pulled a 350 from 0 to 4,500 RPM.
Above that RPM the 350 had more power but boats live in that 0-4,500 RPM range so this could be a nice combo for someone needing an engine. Just food for thought.
The 305 also used identical parts for a Marine conversion and 350's are available pretty cheap everywhere if someone needs a power unit the parts listed might give you that needed Marine engine.
I had a 305 in a 1986 IROC Z28 and that little thing was fast for that period of time.
The heads that came out in 85 I think gave the stock 305 much better power.
Good luck getting this sold off.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2019 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

The 305 was a good little engine, just a small version of the 350 using the same 3.5" stroke but smaller pistons. Rather than 4" bore like a 350 it is a 3.78' bore in the 305.

A upgrade you never hear of is to take a 3.75" stroke crankshaft which is usually used to convert a 350 to a 383 and is very popular, cranks are available for around $225 brand new.

Take a 3.75" stroke crank and install it in the 305 and it gives you 348 cubic inches but the layout is more similar to what Oldsmobiles did, smaller pistons and longer stroke.
The 348 conversion is not a race engine but it makes a very nice torque monster out of the 305 engine for not much money.   In testing the 348 out pulled a 350 from 0 to 4,500 RPM.
Above that RPM the 350 had more power but boats live in that 0-4,500 RPM range so this could be a nice combo for someone needing an engine. Just food for thought.
The 305 also used identical parts for a Marine conversion and 350's are available pretty cheap everywhere if someone needs a power unit the parts listed might give you that needed Marine engine.
I had a 305 in a 1986 IROC Z28 and that little thing was fast for that period of time.
The heads that came out in 85 I think gave the stock 305 much better power.
Good luck getting this sold off.

Ok Chevy guy Mark..................you need to check your 305 bore numbers because they're a little off and then check your math because what you describe doesn't add or multiply out to 348 cubic inches
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2019 at 8:12pm
You must be bored today Keno, the numbers are off. 305 Pistons were 3.7360 not my stated 3.78 but if bored out you get 3.7660 at .030 or 3.7760 at .040 overbore so pretty close to 3.78 bore but the total Cubic Inches are only 334 not 348, I should use the book and not memory as it is proving to not be accurate any longer.
In testing though the little stroked 305 made very good torque, our pIston engineer liked the combo for trucks.
Remember in the 80's the 305 was very common as the standard engine in GM trucks and an upgrade was attractive to those owners and would really help in a boat.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2019 at 8:18pm
And how relatable is this to a 307?
StangFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StangFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2019 at 8:24pm
Thank you for the info. This one is an older 307. I looked it up, and it has the same bore as a 283, and the same stroke as a 327. They say it was made for reliable mid range torque (economy). I replaced it with a newer 305 that had electronic ignition and high rise manifolds, along with a few other features I wanted. Once I sort out a couple of minor linkage issues and get a better alignment done, maybe I'll start looking at tweaking the new engine like you indicate.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2019 at 8:40pm
Not bored at all Mark, just didn't seem right so I did the math that you should have done before you posted.

And for Hollywood, pretty much nothing but you know that

Then again there's always the stroked 307 to hear about
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2019 at 1:31am
Boy, I was really out to lunch on the 305 talk. Maybe new glasses are in order. It clearly says 307 and I thought 305.
Had a 307 in my 71 Chevy Blazer, very nice engine, not powerful but ran very smooth and back in the 70's I got 17 MPG in that Blazer with the 307 and a 4 speed.
The 307 is kind of an oddball of parts.
In that period GM was building the 302 for performance cars which used a 283 crankshaft in a 327 block. So the GM 302 was a 4" bore with the 283 crank in it. Short stroke and large bore makes a very high revving engine that made great racing power some revved that 302 Z28 engine to 8,000 plus RPM but it was pretty weak below 3,000 RPM..
The 307 has the 283 bore and used the 327 crankshaft which did the opposite, low rpm grunt but not much high rpm power. Still a good and efficient boat engine with lots more torque than a 283 offered. Should be on track now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic