NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carpet Removal-with fire?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gravyleg pirate View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carpet Removal-with fire?
    Posted: October-13-2019 at 10:13pm
Ok, so I made the mistake of reading other posts in here and they gave me the courage to rip out the carpet in my 2000 Air Nautique. The carpet came out pretty easily, I think the glue is long past its prime! My question to you all is what should I do about the gunwalls and all the little strips in between the captain's chair and the engine shell?

I noticed it was a lot of polyester so I was thinking maybe a tactical propane torch? Or do I leave it because it won't be that noticeable? I'm putting down SeaDek once this is done.

GLP
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane"

2000 Air Nautique 216 (for 19 years)
2005 Air Nautique SV211 (2 months and counting...)
outerbanked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outerbanked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 6:10pm
Shopvac and then take pics of the areas you are concerned about. I would disassemble and hide the torch from myself. Heat will melt/destroy the resin that bonds your floor together. You can heat up embedded hardware to remove it, but in this case you are just going to weaken and thus allow another path for water to enter the foam beneath the floor.

Respirator, solvent, rags, and putty knife.
A flap disc can be helpful to remove glue and “key” the surface for a sealing layer of resin and filler, with the idea of gelcoat, to finish.

If you are just going to replace the carpet on the sides, I would stick with solvent and rags to keep the solvent in place and work in small areas.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 6:20pm
Alright then, I won’t burn it off. I actually found a stiff brush that I’ll try and get the edges with. Thanks!
GLP

Weavz2000SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weavz2000SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 6:30pm
How’s this project coming along? I’m looking to update my SAN, with this type of project (besides eliminating the electrical bugs) being a top priority.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 11:03pm
Actually pretty well. I attached a wire brush to my polisher and it really does a great job of taking the old glue off and smoothing out the rough/raw fiberglass. I ordered some epoxy primer and am hoping to start priming the floor next weekend. Epoxy paint to follow, then the SeaDek.

Haven't decided what to do about the sidewalls yet, will probably rip that carpet out and paint it.
GLP

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic