Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I free my muffler?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I free my muffler?
    Posted: October-15-2019 at 11:59am
This seems like it should be stupid easy... Loosened all the hose clamps (including at the back end of the muffler). The damn exhaust hoses just won't budge. I can spin them a tiny bit so I think they're not stuck on or anything, it just seems like there's no room to move them around at all. Do I have to remove the risers (trying to avoid so I don't have to replace those gaskets)? Any other tips?

Why... Boat was overheated at some point previously and there's damage to the muffler. Going to try a delete first (I have the y-pipe and exhaust hose) and if that's too noisy, I'll repair/replace the muffler.

Here's what I'm working with:
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 12:31pm
Any binding slime or moose juice in the boat?

Nothing similar in the nightstand drawer?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 12:35pm
26 year old hose- cut them
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

26 year old hose- cut them

Well... Good point. I'll try some lube first and if no go start hacking. Good point.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 1:26pm
+1 to what Gary said. Just cut those bad-boy off. It's time for new hoses after all those years. Also, if yo are planning on going "Y" pipe, you will likely need new hoses for the new configuration. (It will be louder, so be prepared).

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 1:38pm
For personal future reference - is that the "good" kind of a lot louder or the "bad" kind of a lot louder?

Are we talking crappy old F 150 with no muffler or sexy boat here?
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 1:50pm
Here's what my '68 sounds like. 351 with no mufflers, just twin rubber exhaust hoses out the stern.

It's noisy but perfect. Rear seat passengers aren't gonna have much conversation at speed. It's fine cruising around at slow speed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx3U1a1HWh0/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 2:56pm
Did the Y-pipe myself .... Some say a bit too loud, others really like it. I LOVE it... but then I'm a gearhead at heart anyway and really appreciate the loud, throaty tones. My engine sounds about the same at speed as the link above. In the water at idle you really don't hear much of a difference. The noticeable difference comes while under way since the exhaust is at least partially exposed and especially when there is a significant load on the engine.
believe it or not, on the trailer there isn't much difference either. Well, unless you rev it like a race car - then you can really hear it.   Not that I've done that ....
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 3:18pm
I have had success removing the hoses by warming them up, a hairdryer or heat gun help.
Then slip a putty knife or similar tool between the manifold and the rubber and squirt in some dish soap mixed with water. Warm hoses will move more than cold stiff hoses making your job easier. Don't burn them but get them almost uncomfortable to touch.
Be prepared if you cut them, these are not cheap hoses to replace.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 3:28pm
With fewer unmuffled older boats on the lakes, it's a sound I miss. Thankfully, I have a couple older boats that still sound like they should.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 3:53pm
Well like it or not I got it done... That SUCKED. Even after cutting the hoses they were still hard to get off. Then positioning the new hoses into place was no picnic either. Pulled my shoulder in the process.

Nervous to take this out for a test drive... If I don't like it, not gonna be fun to get a new muffler in there, especially since I had to cut the main 4" hose to get the Y-pipe to fit!

Pics of the burned out muffler as well.... This was a failure waiting to happen, which was the main driver for this project.

1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 10:32pm
Is that the factory mounting spot for your battery? I have a 1979 and before this I had a 1988. My batteries were always in the front. It kind of makes more sense having them back there.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 11:51pm
Glad you got it handled without too much headache. Did you have a chance to fire her up and experience that sweet sound?
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Glad you got it handled without too much headache. Did you have a chance to fire her up and experience that sweet sound?

Not yet... hoping to get a test run in the next day or two. Will post up video with sound.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2019 at 1:03pm
Any sound clips yet?
1999 Longhorn Nautique
1995 Nautique Super Sport
https://www.instagram.com/longhorn_nautique/
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2019 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by DHMcFadin DHMcFadin wrote:

Any sound clips yet?

I do... Here's the link.

Unfortunately the sound didn't really pick up, it sounds way too quiet on the video. No idea why, I'll try it again at some point.

My observation: I like it, and the difference is more subtle than I was expecting. It's definitely louder, but contrary to others' opinions, it's much more noticeable at idle / low speed than when running / cruising. On the trailer it was SUPER loud, made me kinda nervous.

My theory is that my muffler was so fried internally that it really wasn't doing anything anyway, because this just doesn't sound much louder.

I'll need to give it some regular use over the next season to decide if I want to keep this setup or put a new muffler in to quiet it down, but initial impression is that it brings out that throaty V8 sound and yet isn't obnoxiously loud inside the boat.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2019 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by DockDoc DockDoc wrote:

it brings out that throaty V8 sound and yet isn't obnoxiously loud inside the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2019 at 9:27pm
Hard to tell with video. Does it sound like a regular dual exhaust boat or louder ?
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
Moody Blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2019 at 9:44pm
Sounds great at idle!
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2019 at 11:52pm
I think it sounds great and it's definitely an improvement even if it's not as noticeable as you think while under way. Trust me, others outside your boat hear it much more clearly than you can. Boating buddies have told me they were very jealous of my exhaust and that it was a definite difference from the old muffled sound.

Was there still water in your muffler when you pulled it? if so then it was still functioning, more or less. There's not really anything inside it to baffle the sound, merely a sound trap with water as the medium. If the inside were rotted/ decayed to the point it wouldn't hold water in the main chamber the sound would still be baffled somewhat by the offsets and path the exhaust would have to take. Exhaust straight out of the risers into pipes (hoses) out the back are definitely lower restriction and virtually baffle free.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 12:29am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

I think it sounds great and it's definitely an improvement even if it's not as noticeable as you think while under way. Trust me, others outside your boat hear it much more clearly than you can. Boating buddies have told me they were very jealous of my exhaust and that it was a definite difference from the old muffled sound.

Was there still water in your muffler when you pulled it? if so then it was still functioning, more or less. There's not really anything inside it to baffle the sound, merely a sound trap with water as the medium. If the inside were rotted/ decayed to the point it wouldn't hold water in the main chamber the sound would still be baffled somewhat by the offsets and path the exhaust would have to take. Exhaust straight out of the risers into pipes (hoses) out the back are definitely lower restriction and virtually baffle free.

Thanks! Yeah I think it's fine, frankly my biggest concern is making sure it's not too loud inside the boat. Initial impression is it's not, but wife hasn't been out yet...
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic