Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop, shaft, engine locations

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ubugarrity1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubugarrity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop, shaft, engine locations
    Posted: October-21-2019 at 10:36am
Restoring a 66 Mustang 16. Got the 302 and trans in the boat with new shaft. I need to know the measurements for the shaft and how critical are they? Taking measurements from a couple boats around the neighborhood I'm coming up with about 6" from back of strut to end of shaft, about 2-3" from end of shaft to rudder and about an inch from prop blade to bottom of hull . If any of these sound wrong please let me know. I'm thinking I have to get the shaft located and then start the engine alignment. Any tips on where to start that process would be appreciated. Watched the YouTube videos already.
Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 11:23am
Measure trans output coupler to aft of strut and add 3/8”. This is where the front end of the prop hub should be (optimally) located.

Cc did not usually use optimal geometry from the factory, for the most part. Now is the time to get it dialed in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubugarrity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 11:59am
Not sure I follow? The shaft is in so it would be really hard to measure coupling to aft of strut at this point. I can hoist engine back up if needed. If you mean there should be 3/8" between aft of strut and front of prop hub, that would have the end of prop blade to hull less than 1/2" and end of shaft to rudder 3.5".
I've been told it should be 40" shaft which is what I have. I was told to measure from coupler to aft of strut and add 4.6". I have no way of knowing where the coupler should be to start since I"m starting from scratch, Can I just have the shaft 4.6" from the aft of strut to end of threads?
What is the most critical measurement? Aft of strut to front of hub? Prop blade to hull? prop to rudder? And the prop I was using (12 x 14) does not seem to be tapered for shaft. I'm going to borrow another one and try it.
Thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 3:01pm
So you don’t have the original engine location and are trying to place it correctly? The original post implied you are looking to set shaft geometry. I would not compromise engine placement to optimally set the geometry for suboptimal parts... I would put the engine in the appropriate place and deal with the resulting geometry (and change the offending parts if you deem appropriate).

To do that you can either borrow someone’s measurements and place it using the “typical” prop to strut clearance (it will be well beyond the optimal 3/8”).

Or any other borrowed dimension (say distance from transom to a known point, like the center of a mount).

The stock shaft length is 40”.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubugarrity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 3:11pm
Correct, everything is new so I don't know where the engine was exactly. This picture shows what seems good. Engine would be in good place and all measurements are within boats I'm checking in the neighborhood. I'm gonna go with this unless something seems crazy out.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2019 at 8:38pm
I haven't taken time to read all of the above, but I can tell you with certainty that most Mustangs from that era were built with 40" shafts, measured overall.
"Art"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic