Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wet Sanding Troubles

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 10:07am
were you ever worried about mixing water and electricity together?
TWSS
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 9:25am
It’s not uncommon for white gelcoat to yellow a bit with age and exposure, you’re uncovering something closer to the original underneath.

If you still see scratches then one or several of your stages failed to remove the scratches from the previous round. How proficient are you at wet sanding? Which compound did you use and can it take out 1000grit scratches? Same question on the polish.
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 10:28pm
I did an 88 years ago. It whitened the white too. Pull your inside teak or bow stickers and you’ll see the original white.

I used cheap harbor frieght palm sanders and a garden hose on trickle. Took about 4 Saturday’s to go from the low grits to 2000. Then a high speed polish.
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 10:23pm
Go 1500 then 2000 then buff again. It’ll look like clear glass.
Cam05210 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cam05210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 6:21pm
Saturday I started a project of removing all the pinstripes and transom decals to replace and doing a full compound/polish on my 2001 for light scratches and to bring out the best in the gel coat since its probably never been done. I had some light scratches in the gel coat and a shadow on the transom from a worn off decal so I pressed my luck and did some wet sanding with 600/800/1000, compound with high speed buffer and polish in an attempt to correct. Now I have 2 issues:

1. The overall area I worked on looks amazing and clearly the gloss is much better...but I still have some light scratches that came from my wet sanding attempt and wondering if I should repeat the process and go all the way back to 800 or 1000 or... I've ordered some 1200/1500/2000 grit that I think may smooth these finite scratches out better??? Thoughts on what direction to take and/or how to make this an easier process??

2. I thought the color of my gel coat was more OEM off-white but once I did the above,..it seems like the wet sanding has brought out a brighter shade of white and now I'm facing having to double my work load and do the whole boat. Did they make an off-white gel coat in 1989 or have I been staring at it too long and its beginning to look brighter??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic