NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wet Sanding Troubles

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Cam05210 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cam05210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet Sanding Troubles
    Posted: October-21-2019 at 6:21pm
Saturday I started a project of removing all the pinstripes and transom decals to replace and doing a full compound/polish on my 2001 for light scratches and to bring out the best in the gel coat since its probably never been done. I had some light scratches in the gel coat and a shadow on the transom from a worn off decal so I pressed my luck and did some wet sanding with 600/800/1000, compound with high speed buffer and polish in an attempt to correct. Now I have 2 issues:

1. The overall area I worked on looks amazing and clearly the gloss is much better...but I still have some light scratches that came from my wet sanding attempt and wondering if I should repeat the process and go all the way back to 800 or 1000 or... I've ordered some 1200/1500/2000 grit that I think may smooth these finite scratches out better??? Thoughts on what direction to take and/or how to make this an easier process??

2. I thought the color of my gel coat was more OEM off-white but once I did the above,..it seems like the wet sanding has brought out a brighter shade of white and now I'm facing having to double my work load and do the whole boat. Did they make an off-white gel coat in 1989 or have I been staring at it too long and its beginning to look brighter??

FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 10:23pm
Go 1500 then 2000 then buff again. It’ll look like clear glass.
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 10:28pm
I did an 88 years ago. It whitened the white too. Pull your inside teak or bow stickers and you’ll see the original white.

I used cheap harbor frieght palm sanders and a garden hose on trickle. Took about 4 Saturday’s to go from the low grits to 2000. Then a high speed polish.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 9:25am
It’s not uncommon for white gelcoat to yellow a bit with age and exposure, you’re uncovering something closer to the original underneath.

If you still see scratches then one or several of your stages failed to remove the scratches from the previous round. How proficient are you at wet sanding? Which compound did you use and can it take out 1000grit scratches? Same question on the polish.
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 10:07am
were you ever worried about mixing water and electricity together?
TWSS
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 10:24am
Originally posted by GHTILL GHTILL wrote:

were you ever worried about mixing water and electricity together?

Greg,
GFCI's do work. I remember the days without them and before the battery powered tools standing in water with a rotary hammer drill.

BTW, isn't water and electricity used at the dentist chair?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Water and Air drills
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Cam05210 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cam05210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 12:16pm
Will admit this was my first attempt with wet sanding...but not compounding or polishing. I think my issue was various pressure used causing lighter scratches in some parts to be seen. I should be receiving my order today of 1500/2000 grit pads for my orbital (connected to a GFCI!!) and with a soft backing board and using only the weight of the orbital and maintaining a consistent left/right/up/down pattern...I think this should give me the results I want. I'm using Meguiars One Step Compound and Premium Flagship Wax and will follow with a sealer polish....yeah I'm OCD...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Water and Air drills

And electric chairs and electric lighting but Duane you are correct on the pneumatic drills. The chances of having a problem in a dentist office are pretty slim.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 12:29pm
Compound -> Wax -> Polish is not the right order
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 1:15pm
Since the topic of wet sanding is on the table, anyone use an air driven palm sander that they are happy with? Price and durability?
TWSS
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 1:33pm

Since the topic of wet sanding is on the table, anyone use an air driven palm sander that they are happy with? Price and durability?

Greg,
There are some good ones out there. Dynabrade would be my choice. How big in CFM is your air compressor?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cam05210 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cam05210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Care to elaborate?
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 1:49pm
Would you recommend the hook and loop sanding discs or the adhesive ones. I need to remove hull scratches from worn trailer bunks on our new/ used boat. The boat has a black hull which makes the scratches even more visible . Not sure what CFM my compressor has but pretty sure its capable of running the 5 inch 59020 sander.
TWSS
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 2:34pm
Greg,
I've gone to hook and loop and find them easy to use especially if you want to change discs mid project and then go back to the same disc. Lots of choices out there for the H&L discs including micro fine abrasive.

The reason I asked about the compressor is pneumatic sanders use lots of air. 10 CFM + is the norm. A smaller compressor like a true 3 HP (not peak HP) will do it BUT, be prepared to stop wait and let the compressor, catch up and then rest to avoid exceeding it's duty cycle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Cam05210 Cam05210 wrote:

Care to elaborate?

That would be like sanding 600 -> 1000 -> 800
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 5:49pm
Hutchins is another respected brand but the price is not for the faint of heart. But it is a dedicated small orbit wet sander. link
Harbor Freight used to make one too but I don't see it anymore. Took me 2 to get a good one but for the price it could not be beat- link

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 6:03pm

Care to elaborate?

Compound > Polish> Wax, but sometimes you have to go back and sand or compound some more if the desired results aren't met. Its not an exact science and all jobs are different....... No need to "wax" if the polish doesn't pull out the fine swirls/scratches out....

Its fun huh?? haha NOT !!!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 6:19pm

Water and Air drills

Livin' in the big city such as you are Duane I guess you've never been to northern Wisconsin      I think DeWalt and Makita are big names in home dentistry
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Water and Air drills

Livin' in the big city such as you are Duane I guess you've never been to northern Wisconsin      I think DeWalt and Makita are big names in home dentistry

Hahaha, Just spooked 2 deer out of the yard. As deep woods country as you can get here. He probably goes to the "dental section" of Home Depot.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 6:32pm

He probably goes to the "dental section" of Home Depot.

Yes, and the HD only uses the best brushless 18 or 20 volt cordless drills. Typically Milwaukee or Ridgid. BTW, our associate dentists are not back yard hacks!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cam05210 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cam05210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Compound > Polish> Wax, but sometimes you have to go back and sand or compound some more if the desired results aren't met. Its not an exact science and all jobs are different....... No need to "wax" if the polish doesn't pull out the fine swirls/scratches out....

Its fun huh?? haha NOT !!!

Interesting...thanks for setting me straight...now time to get to work...will update if I'm still standing after this is all over...
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2019 at 11:34pm
I hope you are getting before and after pics to be able to measure your results, and share them on here of course!
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2019 at 10:22am
The Dynabrade palm sander is the bomb! Light weight and smooth operation. Since I'm laying on my back, sanding the bottom of the hull waiting for the compressor to catch up gives me time to rest between passes. I'm going to try a product from Menzerna for the polish. I'll let you know how it works in removing the fine scratches and swirl marks.
TWSS
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2019 at 11:13am

The Dynabrade palm sander is the bomb! Light weight and smooth operation. Since I'm laying on my back, sanding the bottom of the hull waiting for the compressor to catch up gives me time to rest between passes. I'm going to try a product from Menzerna for the polish. I'll let you know how it works in removing the fine scratches and swirl marks.

Hate to ask silly questions, but what is that supposed to be a picture of?

I've rotated it every which way and blown it up and still don't have a clue   
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2019 at 11:31am
It's the bottom of the hull on my boat. The white scratches are from the bunk that the PO was using at the dock lift he was using. The black hull reflects like a mirror so its hard to get a picture
TWSS
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2019 at 12:51pm

Since I'm laying on my back, sanding the bottom of the hull waiting for the compressor to catch up

Gregg,
Don't forget the duty cycle of the compressor. Yes, it needs to catch up but it too needs to rest. As an example, a compressor with a 50% duty cycle needs 50% off time for every 50% run time. Then some compressors do have max run times as well. I suggest taking a look at the manual for the specs an follow them otherwise you may end up shopping for a new compressor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2019 at 1:42pm
Your braver than I- looks like your dry sanding? Could not find the specs on that sander either- do you know what the orbit is? Black is tough but sure is sharp
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2019 at 8:03pm
No not dry sanding, just taking the picture dry (shows up better).
Look on Amazon for Dynabrade sanders. The one I went with was 159$. 59020#.
Yes black looks sharp but it's a pain in the A$$ to keep up.
TWSS
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2019 at 8:15pm
And yes Pete, I too have a 50% duty cycle. Half run, half rest.
TWSS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic