Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timing with a Delco EST Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing with a Delco EST Distributor
    Posted: October-21-2019 at 6:38pm
I upgraded to a Delco EST this summer on my 454 h.o. I’m wondering where I should be at for timing?

I bought a new timing light with a tach to check the advance. I’m running 30 degrees at 3,000 rpms and 38 degrees at 4,000 rpms. Does this seem a bit high? No pinging noise or evidence on plugs.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 10:12pm
Hi Mav

I think I'd back it down to 34 to 36 at 4000 rpm. Maybe more depending on gas being used

Did you set the initial timing at 10 with the timing shunt installed ?
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi Mav

I think I'd back it down to 34 to 36 at 4000 rpm. Maybe more depending on gas being used

Did you set the initial timing at 10 with the timing shunt installed ?

I set at 10 idle with the shunt. With the shunt removed I’m at 18 degrees at 900 rpm. I’m running Sunoco 93 octane. I verified my tach is going wacko at 4000 rpms, and it starts to pull harder and rev out. I used the new timing lights built in tach and I reached about 5,000 rpms in this video.

Sounds healthy with no knocking but could it be causing damage?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11TguC7qvluonjEvg5gU3OEuylHMHzk_j/view?usp=drivesdk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic