Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is 50 mph about right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is 50 mph about right?
    Posted: September-20-2006 at 11:57pm
It's official: the jetski I coerced into pacing me said my '69 Barracuda was doing 50 mph. That's a freshly-rebuilt Chrysler 318 with a few special enhancements and an ACME 540 3-blade prop. For some strange reason, the tach suddenly started working and claimed 4200 rpm. It wouldn't wind any higher.

So how does that mph stack up against the rest of you? My redline is at 5000 rpm and I'm wondering if I can get a little bit more if I can get the linkage to ask the motor for a few more rpm. I doubt the linkage is right, because I'm having trouble getting it to drop back down to idle after it's been wide open.

Thomas
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 7:09am
50MPH could be about right, but I wouldnt trust the speedometer on the jetski- Ive seen some that are off 5-7MPH on the top end. If you can get your hands on a hand held GPS thats the most accurate measure.

If the tach is right, 4200RPM is pretty weak. I would think you should be pushing at least 4600-4800 if not more, depending on what youve done to the motor. Why do you say youre redline is 5k RPM? You can probably turn a little over that safely.

Play with the throttle on the carb by hand and see if your cable is getting the full range of travel. If it doesnt want to drop back down to idle, that could be a carb issue rather than a cable problem.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 8:09am
Thomas,
When I got our boat, a SN with the 318 ReidP told me that those engines were designed to run wot at about 4200 rpm. I pushed mine up to 4500 a couple of times and speedo puts me at around 42mph. I can go more with it, but I like skiing and don't want to think of rebuilding, so never have pushed all the way to wide open. Keep in mind that I'm using my airguide speedo and I'm not sure how accurate my rpm gauge is. I also checked out a Chrysler Marine Engine Site they recommend the Chrysler LM318B 4000rpm at wot.
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 9:10am
low to mid 40"s is what your actually doing. With the 1:1 tranny as a general rule what RPM your at is also going to be about the same MPH your running.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 12:07pm
5000 rpm redline was an estimate from memory. The redline on the tach is actually marked at 5300 rpm. I know that isn't the final word on what the motor is actually capable of doing, but I suppose it has some relationship to prudent operation.

No doubt I have cable and maybe carb issues. The carb was rebuilt last summer, but I'm not sure I have the cable hooked up just right.

When I shut down and re-start, the engine will idle properly, even though it was racing right before shut-down. It just doesn't return to idle after running. I need to putter around with the motor cover off and fiddle with the linkage to see what's actually going on, but I've been having too much fun just running to worry with the details.

Thomas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 12:28pm
if it's not returning to idle then the spring is too weak or there is a vaccum leak. the issue with the canle is that you may not be opening the carb up as much as possible.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 12:32pm
Find someone who has gps, then you'll know how fast you are going. My Mustang is built to hold a constant 6,000 rpms, roller rockers etc, but it will never see it.

Tim D
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 1:16pm
One thought here- check you distributor shaft play (up and down) make sure it's within spec. I had that issue in my Olds a few years back- It would idle just fine, but after being on the highway or high rpms, it would appear to idle really high- it was actually advancing the timing. Shimmed the dist and it was good as new- nice and constant.
-Brad
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 5:39pm
The speedos say 50 and we are happy! Gps...tells the truth! Even when you calibrate the speedos...uasually to 36 mhp based on tournament settings...the speedos will be slighty off at lower and higher speeds.
Anyone getting 45-50 (gps)on any of these older boats is running strong...anything that nears 50mph for a stock engine is exceptional!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 7:21pm
good thing you thru in the stock motor comment, I'm locking to get in the mid 50's with the new head install and AL exhaust manifolds come spring.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 9:11pm
Thats hallin booty! I am hoping to get near 50 with the GT40's and allum. intake...I guess I still will be seeing just your stern...but a little closer
stang

The Super Air

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 10:41pm
I think you can get to 55-57mph with a small block with good heads and decent intake,spot on ignition.You might look at bypa$$ing some water out a thru hull fitting 79 when you upgrade the exhaust.

My buddy Tommy had a 79 SN that would run 52 as best we could figure by stop watch.Correct Craft couldn't believe us and sent a guy to watch.This was the summer of 81.All stock just hard use

Munday
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 10:49pm
Gary,

I get 49 out of the 81 , 351 with the 540 Acme topping out at 4800 rpms. That was with a hand held GPS. Dead stock except for a IE conversion kit and a rebuilt carb. I've toyed around with the idea of adding some bolt ons for performance but I hate to touch it until it breaks.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 11:04pm
Alan...you are running strong!I think I would leave it as it is!

55-57...that will require more than a couple bolt ons...IMO!
stang

The Super Air

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 11:10pm
Yeah its sad that when all is said and done no matter what I do to my mustang or 2001 my fastest boat is still gonna be my 60 mph trimmed up 115hp outboard... but man does it sound way more bad a$$ in the correct crafts to do 47...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 12:02am
So Munday, what did CC say when they came to see your friend's boat? What's the end of the story?

I'd love to see more holeshot videos like Joe's. That boat almost jumps out of the water! Joe, I a$$ume you got your boat all back together and are going good again?

So what's really safe for your engine rpm wise? I've never even run mine WOT because my manual says top rpms should be 4400. I've run it up to 4800 for short bursts (5 seconds), but the last thing I want to do is damage this engine. What if I take it up all the way for 10-15 seconds?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 8:15am
My engine is far from stock. It's a 318, but it now has 9.2 compression, a roller cam slightly warmed over stock, and fully ported and polished heads.

79 nautique: if all other factors were stock, are you suggesting that changing from the factory prop to the ACME 540 would add no mph to the top end?

Thomas
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 8:31am
From what Ive read, you should gain 1-2 MPH of top end with the 540.

Tleed, Im curious- where did you find that reverse rotation roller cam? I know that they are no longer available for the Fords (flat tappet only)... are there still some available for the SB Chrysler?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 9:29am
Originally posted by tleed tleed wrote:

79 nautique: if all other factors were stock, are you suggesting that changing from the factory prop to the ACME 540 would add no mph to the top end?

don't know where you came up with that crap but 1-2 at most and that's with a gps and not some other boat running beside you or from the speedo's in your boat which are only good for between 30-40 if calibrated right otherwise there not acurate.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 10:37am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

good thing you thru in the stock motor comment, I'm locking to get in the mid 50's with the new head install and AL exhaust manifolds come spring.

Better add a helicopter turbine to your list of mods if you want mid 50s in a 79 Nautique.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 10:57am
I'm already at 52 mph on a GPS and use a prop that is for the 1.23:1 trannied motors (13x15.5 .110 of cup)

So with the new heads that have 57cc combustion cambers and 1.94/1.60 valves with .600 lift springs, stud mount scorpion roller rockers, aluminum edelbrock exhaust manifolds and a re-curved distributor advance, I don't see it as much of an issue getting a three or four MPH out of it with those mods.

guess you didn't know the motor was all ready .020 over, balanced and has a decent cam, aluminum intake and a re-jetted Holley, and a completely rebuilt drive line. now did ya? didn't think so. You can ask Gary and Brian they saw enough of the back end of my boat at GL and it wasn't even tuned up then.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Better add a helicopter turbine to your list of mods if you want mid 50s in a 79 Nautique.

Thats a pretty ignorant comment. I dont doubt the speeds '79 is running considering what hes done to his motor and the hull he's running on. Why would you think adding 10 MPH to the top end is so difficult?

I want to see Bill's (SS-201) Nautique that'll do 70. Now that's something to shoot for.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 11:57am
79nautique,with the rest of the mods waiting for the install,i know the engineer gears are turning ,whats next??????????   331 or 347 stroker w/twin turbo's or the counter rotating Paxton? idle minds promote evil thoughts..............boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 12:04pm
He's got a 351w, so I doubt a 331 or 347 is the way to go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Thats a pretty ignorant comment. I dont doubt the speeds '79 is running considering what hes done to his motor and the hull he's running on. Why would you think adding 10 MPH to the top end is so difficult?

I want to see Bill's (SS-201) Nautique that'll do 70. Now that's something to shoot for.

I don't doubt what 79 says. If he's getting 52 GPS now, that is screaming and I'm impressed. It get's really tough to add speed once you get near 50 with these boats. They weren't designed with high speed in mind, but maybe that older hull gets up out of the water and it'll happen.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 12:37pm
trust me it will happen, just picked up the last piece I need to plumb the exhaust thanks Eric for the tip about Horne marine, Stopped over this morning almost got another set of aluminum Ex manifolds but he didn't have the elbows that went with them.

Jbear no luck on anything that will work with yours, thought about the set of nicson's laying there but I don't now where I could source the elbows that they need, they need to have the pa$$ thru waterjacketed elbows and everything I've seen new are the closed end return style like mine.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 1:30pm
My source for the reverse rotation roller cam swore me to secrecy. Seriously. Said he didn't want a run of special orders for them. They did not come from the factory and nobody has them laying around. They do not exist in the wild. In fact, I'm almost willing to bet I have the only one.

Suffice it to say that it's the most expensive part in my engine. But if you're really interested in getting one, maybe I can point you in the right direction.

I used a 1990 truck 318 because my block was cracked. And I wanted a roller cam. And higher compression heads.

My poorly calibrated seat-of-the-pants tells me I'm well above 40 mph. How much is up for discussion. Guess I'll have to track down one of those gps thingies.

Thomas
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by tleed tleed wrote:

My source for the reverse rotation roller cam swore me to secrecy. Seriously. Said he didn't want a run of special orders for them. They did not come from the factory and nobody has them laying around. They do not exist in the wild. In fact, I'm almost willing to bet I have the only one.

Suffice it to say that it's the most expensive part in my engine. But if you're really interested in getting one, maybe I can point you in the right direction.

I used a 1990 truck 318 because my block was cracked. And I wanted a roller cam. And higher compression heads.

My poorly calibrated seat-of-the-pants tells me I'm well above 40 mph. How much is up for discussion. Guess I'll have to track down one of those gps thingies.

Thomas

Thats pretty cool. I dont need one right now- I just saw a '72 Skier in the cla$$ifieds with a 273 so it got me to thinking...

Do you think he could do a reverse rotation Ford roller cam, or is he a Mopar guy? Ill keep your setup in mind just in case!

What year boat do you have, by the way? I a$$ume your original motor was a Chrysler?
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 2:58pm
My boat is a '69 Barracuda and the original motor was a 318 Chrysler. I'm a Mopar guy; my source is not. I don't know if he can do reverse rotation Ford cam, because I didn't talk to him about that, but if anybody can, he can.

The real problem is not so much grinding one, but finding or making a core. If you can find the core, you're pretty much home free. My source had one core available last spring and I got it.

Thomas
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2006 at 2:20am
Has anyone tried Competition Cams in Memphis, Tenn? They claim to have more types of cores than any other cam grinder and they definitely DO grind marine cams. They have a website with a very extensive catalog on line. Also they will grind you a cam to any specs you want.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic