Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Drain Plug - '71 Chrysler 318

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BrianSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Drain Plug - '71 Chrysler 318
    Posted: November-07-2019 at 12:33pm
Does anyone know what the exact oil drain plug thread specs are for the Chrysler 318 in my 1971 Ski Nautique? I roughly measured it and believe it is a 5/8-18. But I've also considered that it might be a M16-1.5 metric, although 1971 was probably too early for metric. And if it is a 5/8-18, would a M16-1.5 be sufficiently compatible?

I want to put in a quick drain plug, or an oil drain hose.

I tried to measure the threads when I had the plug out for an oil change, but it's back in now and in storage, so I don't have access to it.

FWIW, I believe the original Chrysler part number for the plug is 2129370.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2019 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by BrianSki BrianSki wrote:

Does anyone know what the exact oil drain plug thread specs are for the Chrysler 318 in my 1971 Ski Nautique? I roughly measured it and believe it is a 5/8-18. But I've also considered that it might be a M16-1.5 metric, although 1971 was probably too early for metric. And if it is a 5/8-18, would a M16-1.5 be sufficiently compatible?

I want to put in a quick drain plug, or an oil drain hose.

I tried to measure the threads when I had the plug out for an oil change, but it's back in now and in storage, so I don't have access to it.

FWIW, I believe the original Chrysler part number for the plug is 2129370.

Here's a link to a thread that says it's a 1/2-20 and in that thread is a link to another thread where somebody also got a 1/2-20. but no follow up on whether it was right.

It was a popular size with the US manufacturers back then including Chrysler.

You could send a private message to fanofccfan and also Fabcon to verify whether it worked for them.

They've both been logged on very recently so they should get your PM and give you an answer.

Then you or one of them could post that answer here   

link
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2019 at 10:09pm
You could check with Zach-phatsat67, he bleeds in Chrysler colors
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2019 at 10:11pm
Hey thanks for this question. 71 SN awesome. Course I have same motor and often thought about quick drain plug. Your part number looks correct
Lucky I found a funnel that fits perfect between drain plug and hole in boat
So I’ve been able to stall my situation maybe unique
Please let us know best option
BrianSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 1:06am
First time poster here... wow, I wish every piece of machinery at my house had a forum this great. I like this already.

KENO - yup, I first bought a 1/2-20 quick drain plug, and it is too small. So I measured the OD on the plug threads, and it is 0.62, which led me to believe it was 5/8". And the pitch was ~0.06, which led me to believe it was 18/in. And I also keep finding these links saying that the common thread is 1/2-20, but they always mention Ford & Chevy, but not Chrysler.

"67 ski nat" - a) I wanna see your boat pic!, b) we'll figure this out and make our lives incrementally better.

KENO & Gary S - will do on PM-ing Zach-phatsat67 and fanofccfan and Fabcon.

Thx all

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 1:13am
I never pursued the quick option as the drain plug is in the front of my oil pan and to get it to actually drain the oil I have to put the nose of the boat down incredibly far. I have resorted to a pump and it is not ideal either.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 1:17am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Hey thanks for this question. 71 SN awesome. Course I have same motor and often thought about quick drain plug. Your part number looks correct
Lucky I found a funnel that fits perfect between drain plug and hole in boat
So I’ve been able to stall my situation maybe unique
Please let us know best option

Please show us the funnel you speak of! I have tried to make a few from various items and wow..........it is a tight space and let's just say they almost worked!
BrianSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 4:03am
Here is what I am trying to do:

Replace the standard oil drain plug with this:
Quick Drain Plug

Drain it with this through the drain hole:
Drainer Hose

I have these on all my cars and they're awesome. I hook the other end to a venturi suction run by the compressor. Other than changing the filters, I don't touch oil.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 8:29am

First time poster here... wow, I wish every piece of machinery at my house had a forum this great. I like this already.

KENO - yup, I first bought a 1/2-20 quick drain plug, and it is too small. So I measured the OD on the plug threads, and it is 0.62, which led me to believe it was 5/8". And the pitch was ~0.06, which led me to believe it was 18/in. And I also keep finding these links saying that the common thread is 1/2-20, but they always mention Ford & Chevy, but not Chrysler.

"67 ski nat" - a) I wanna see your boat pic!, b) we'll figure this out and make our lives incrementally better.

KENO & Gary S - will do on PM-ing Zach-phatsat67 and fanofccfan and Fabcon.

Thx all

It sounds to me like you already know how really, really close a 5/8-18 thread and a M16X1.5 thread are.

Was your measurement of about 0.06 with a thread pitch gauge?

I'd probably spend a few bucks and buy a 5/8-18 nut and a M16x1.5   oil drain plug or bolt and see if/how they screw together.

Or if you're cheap like me, just go to a good hardware store and give it a try in the aisle   

Otherwise you're probably just depending on somebody else's measurements or memory and you've already done the measuring yourself.

Or buy the 5/8 drain plug in your link from earlier in the thread, like you said, it was a little early for metric in the US unless somebody rethreaded the hole over the years

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 9:37am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

I have resorted to a pump and it is not ideal either.

Bill,
What do you find isn't ideal with sucking? I actually find it convenient not having to get down low, feed the hose through the garboard drain and then under the boat with the drain pan. Plus, you can do it in the water. The first oil change I did on the Tique was when it was hanging in the boat house. Getting the drain pan on a plank over the wet slip under the boat was a real PITA and then worse getting to the cap on the drain hose to unscrew it. That was the first and the last time I used the hose.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 9:54am
Tubes were made for on water oil changes Pete. Sounds like you were doing it the hard way.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 11:11am
Deleted
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 11:12am
I now have hoses on all the boats, in combination with a Mity Vac evactuator make for a easy and mess free change from inside the boat no matter where it's at
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
BrianSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 11:39am
Thanks to all of you for weighing in.

KENO, I think you nailed it on the head. I was hoping someone knew dang-sure what the oil plug thread was... none of us do... no problem. Appreciate your analysis of my approach.

I'll figure it out in the spring, or at worst next fall when I pull the oil out. I'll share my findings/solution then,

Just BTW, when I do these quick drains on my cars, I still suck it out with a vacuum. I like having the oil come out the bottom, rather than thru the dipstick. My thinking is I get more gunk out. So my actual plan with the SN was to also vacuum it out of the quick drain port, very similar to Gary S's approach.

Again, thanks to you all. I'm going to consider this thread cooled off.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 12:21pm
Fanofccfan. It is just a regular grey medium size funnel you would get at Orielly or pep boys   Just coincidence my hole is 3” in front of drain plug I push funnel through hole and slip under plug, it’s perfect. Bucket under boat. I kinda touch oil but none in bildge
I’m just changed oil or I would help by investigating too
My wife buys 2 pairs shoes try’s them out at home a returns one pair next day um

I screwed up when I was new and started putting pics under ‘New’ (thought it was a new thread not in new section. Gonna haunt me. So look for ‘67 SN in California back to life. Thanks for asking, she’s cool
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 7:26pm

Thanks to all of you for weighing in.

KENO, I think you nailed it on the head. I was hoping someone knew dang-sure what the oil plug thread was... none of us do... no problem. Appreciate your analysis of my approach.

I'll figure it out in the spring, or at worst next fall when I pull the oil out. I'll share my findings/solution then,

Just BTW, when I do these quick drains on my cars, I still suck it out with a vacuum. I like having the oil come out the bottom, rather than thru the dipstick. My thinking is I get more gunk out. So my actual plan with the SN was to also vacuum it out of the quick drain port, very similar to Gary S's approach.

Again, thanks to you all. I'm going to consider this thread cooled off.

I thought it was a good approach you took. I think you have it figured out

It seems like that drain plug in the front on an engine tilted about 15 degrees backwards makes for a "fun" oil change no matter how you do it

And BTW, you may consider it cooled off but a CCF thread never really dies, it may branch out into topics you never dreamed of

Oh and also, welcome to CCF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2019 at 10:51am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

I have resorted to a pump and it is not ideal either.

Bill,
What do you find isn't ideal with sucking? I actually find it convenient not having to get down low, feed the hose through the garboard drain and then under the boat with the drain pan. Plus, you can do it in the water. The first oil change I did on the Tique was when it was hanging in the boat house. Getting the drain pan on a plank over the wet slip under the boat was a real PITA and then worse getting to the cap on the drain hose to unscrew it. That was the first and the last time I used the hose.

Pete the issue I had was pump related, as in, it leaked more oil than it sucked!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2019 at 4:02pm
BTW. Brian. Better find out sooner rather later if your thermostat housings bolts are rusted in, start as new owner with new stat,,housing and bolts. I sleep better after doing mine
And new pump impellers Sherwood double d60?? Impellers 9959K
BrianSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 5:53pm
67 SN,

Absolutely. I happen to pull my thermostat bolts every year anyway... to pour the antifreeze in.

And yeah, just changed the impellers with the Sherwood OEM 9959Ks you mention before I put her to bed this fall. What I did first time this fall though, was suck a little antifreeze into the pump. Seemed like a good idea.

Thanks for looking out for me! Hey wait... do you, CA-dude, even know what antifreeze in a boat is??? ;)

BS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic