Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1999 Longhorn Nautique Restoration Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 15>
Author
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2020 at 2:27pm
Drilling and taping is the only thing that makes me hesitant because these are torsion axels, not leave spring axels. I don’t know where the rubber core ends within the axel and don’t want put a screw into it.

Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

The cleanest option would be the clamps that Keno suggested but they require drilling and tapping the axles. If you are worried about the plastic ties breaking then you could swap them out for some stainless ties. You could also have the stainless ties painted to match.

Follow this link then click on "Metal Cable Ties and Mounts".

They have some nice plastic dipped red ones for JQ!

Some more options

Or just put the boat on the trailer and forget about them.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
1995 Nautique Super Sport
https://www.instagram.com/longhorn_nautique/
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2020 at 2:29pm
Dude dont sweat the big zip ties just because the trailer isn't black you don't need to get carried away with Adel clamps or drilling into the trailer. Just get a small brush with matching paint. I wouldn't use anything metal on metal because it will ruin that nice paint....they do make all different color zip ties as well.. trying to plasti dip some clamps will just fade pretty bad over time.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2020 at 2:31pm
Not worried about it! Honestly, I’m fine with the zip ties. Every boat trailer I see uses the same thing.

Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

Dude dont sweat the big zip ties just because the trailer isn't black you don't need to get carried away with Adel clamps or drilling into the trailer. Just get a small brush with matching paint. I wouldn't use anything metal on metal because it will ruin that nice paint....they do make all different color zip ties as well.. trying to plasti dip some clamps will just fade pretty bad over time.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2020 at 2:42pm
Same thing I used on my barefoot when I did stainless Kodiak brakes 2 years ago. they came with the hose kit . Best brakes I have ever had on any trailer. They make them outside Ft Worth
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2020 at 3:18pm
in general, if I wanted a new trailer like this, not longhorn style but just a plain black trailer like this one. What would it cost on average?

Thanks! Great thread!
1979 Calipso Runabout (the boat that got it all started)
1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190 (sold)
2000 Pro Air Nautique/GT40
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by C_Heath C_Heath wrote:

in general, if I wanted a new trailer like this, not longhorn style but just a plain black trailer like this one. What would it cost on average?

Thanks! Great thread!

Tandem axel with hydraulic drum/disc? I imagine you’d be around 4-5k? I don’t know though because I went with stronger axels, frame, etc. I never saw what a standard 3500 lb trailer costs. You can give them a call, they are happy to quote over the phone.

512-258-4101

Ask for Mike.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2020 at 5:08pm
I think a new Ramlin is $4,500-ish. And if I was buying new I'd go with single axle and IMO nothing loads easier and shallower than a Ramlin for these boats.

Having said that, incredible looking trailer! Leave the zip ties, they look fine to me.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2020 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Black ones are the only ones that will last in UV rays, the others crumble in just a couple of years

Figures an old phone guy would know that Gary

An old phone guy would have had waxed string and sewn them on
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2020 at 7:43pm
Good one Greg- everyone knows a phone man that old has a boat with a sail
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2020 at 9:47pm
Zip ties look fine to me also.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2020 at 12:49am
Small update, Boat has been completely sanded down inside and out. Hull stiffeners have been glassed into place. All screw holes around the perimeter of the deck and hull have been filled and sanded. A layer of glass was laid down around the interior top edge of the deck and hull. A little more blocking/sanding followed by floor panel making, we will be ready to spray gelcoat. The top and the underside will be fully sprayed natural white. Then hull will be re-sprayed inside and out including the engine/bilge/ski locker compartments. Big progress coming soon! John's attention to detail is just incredible.

1999 Longhorn Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2020 at 12:58am
I'm surprised that adding the stiffeners doesn't make it difficult to marry the deck to the hull again.
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2020 at 1:02am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I'm surprised that adding the stiffeners doesn't make it difficult to marry the deck to the hull again.

The deck was reinstalled and screwed in a few places before the stiffeners were glassed in (the gunnel stiffeners). Bow stiffeners are just replacements to what was already there.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2020 at 10:56am
This is an amazing project - really appreciate you sharing the progress.
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2020 at 12:08am
With all the chaos going on in the world, I feel torn about posting updates but here it goes. I saw the boat this afternoon and John has made some incredible progress. The deck top, bottom, inside, and out have been sprayed with new gelcoat. The interior of the hull has also been sprayed. You will notice that the floors are slightly discolored. John has sprayed a thin layer of gelcoat and is going back to block sand once more to ensure the floors are perfectly flat. My favorite part is the squared of ski locker. I'll be using part of that space for batteries. Next week he will start spraying color and then onto the bottom of the hull. He is doing some incredible work. The boat should ready for stage 1 of reassembly in the next few weeks!

1999 Longhorn Nautique
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2020 at 10:50am
I vote to keep the posts coming. We all need something to look at and read about to move us forward. Great project here and you have done as well keeping us updated.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2020 at 11:04am
#metoo
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2020 at 11:36am
Very nice build, build/thread, amazing to see what a pro can do.

How are you posting pictures i cant get mine posted
Thanks
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2020 at 11:46am
Definitely keep the posts coming. I got word that a little fiberglass repair got done on my boat that I've been trying to get done for more than a year.. .I was so happy for some good news!

I wish I could go out and spend an hour every night working on my boat, it would really help my sanity.

So keep it coming.

Also, great work!
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2020 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by wayoutthere wayoutthere wrote:

Very nice build, build/thread, amazing to see what a pro can do.

How are you posting pictures i cant get mine posted
Thanks

I utilize imgur to store my photos (Private mode). On each photo, there is a link button. When that menu opens, there are different links for different types of websites. There’s one specifically forums. I just copy that style ink into CCF reply and it posts. Keeps all my photos in one place too.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2020 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by stepper459 stepper459 wrote:

Definitely keep the posts coming. I got word that a little fiberglass repair got done on my boat that I've been trying to get done for more than a year.. .I was so happy for some good news!

I wish I could go out and spend an hour every night working on my boat, it would really help my sanity.

So keep it coming.

Also, great work!

I am looking forward to summer so I can do this. I really want to be in the water by May but the upholstery is still not started. I am starting to think that it might be ok to slow down a little bit anyways. The detailed work is coming next and since I’m doing all of the reassembly myself, it’s gotta be perfect!
1999 Longhorn Nautique
Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2020 at 1:27pm
Keep posting the updates. Everyone needs something to take their mind off of what's going on. I want to mess with my boat and I want to be on the lake too. Thanks for providing us an escape. You're going to love this boat.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2020 at 1:40pm
I agree with all, really enjoy the updates!

Dominic, somehow I don't think anyone will be allowed to eat jelly doughnuts in this boat when it's all done!
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2020 at 1:47pm

I agree with all, really enjoy the updates!

Dominic, somehow I don't think anyone will be allowed to eat jelly doughnuts in this boat when it's all done!

You are making cringe just thinking about that lol.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2020 at 2:13pm
or Cheetos . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2020 at 4:02pm
Definitely no cheetos!

A good friend redid the upholstery on his Fountain 48 Express last year. It's gorgeous. No one is allowed on the boat without their own sippy cup.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2020 at 2:31am
Have a few more pictures to share. The areas where the tower mounts, were ground down top and bottom and then new glass was laid for extra strength. When this boat was built, Nautique had only been building towers for 1 year. This upgrade was something at the top of my list. In general, I made a point to strengthen the deck as a whole. Another thing is the gas fill neck. When the boat was built, the fill neck was rotated so the word "gas" was sideways. Drove me crazy. Decided to straighten it out. Another item was flush mount lifting rings. And finally, filling in the stern light receptacle and the lock mechanism for the rear locker.

1999 Longhorn Nautique
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2020 at 2:35am

1999 Longhorn Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2020 at 11:43am
I hadn't seen flush mount lift rings before. Those might save a few broken toes!

Stern light receptacle - do you have a different plan for a stern light?
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2020 at 12:00pm

I hadn't seen flush mount lift rings before. Those might save a few broken toes!

Stern light receptacle - do you have a different plan for a stern light?

YES, I love flush mounted hardware. Are you going to do the same for the tie down cleats? This allows adding a couple of them aft, and you don't have to sweat the rope issue.

I was just going to ask where the Nav light is going? Just has to meet USCG vis requirements, which is essentially the pole height and the OEM location. So anywhere back there should be fine.

MS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 15>
  Share Topic