NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1956 Collegian restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1956 Collegian restoration
    Posted: November-11-2019 at 11:38am
Well the time has come to get started on the next project so I headed down to the barn at Todd's place on Saturday to get the Collegian ready for the trip home. This boat has had a fairly decent 5200 bottom job about 10 years ago so the plan is to get it to my shop and flip the boat so we can inspect, repair, and paint the bottom.

After that were going to pull the sides off the boat, replace the inner planking with plywood and rehang the original outer planking. The deck looks decent but does have some issues so there will be some repair work there as well.

The plan for power is to swap this 292 Y block Interceptor with the 302 PCM that is in #1, that way this boat gets good reliable power and #1 gets the correct engine for that boat. The freeze plugs on the 292 are popped so we don't really know if we have a good block to work with but I do have a complete 272 motor for #1 so between the two I should be able to make one out them. More on that later when we get those off to the machine shop.

So the boat got home Saturday night, Sunday I power washed the bilge and got it off the trailer. Hope to start pulling hardware off next week and get it ready to flip.

Bilge cleaned up real nice and the bottom job looks decent

In her new home for the next couple of years

illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 11:43am
I look forward to following along. Always impressed with your work.
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by illiniball2000 illiniball2000 wrote:

I look forward to following along. Always impressed with your work.

Thanks Brian, Looks like we got it inside without a day to spare, the scene outside that doorway looks quite different this morning! Yesterday we were raking leaves today we're shoveling snow LOL
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 12:37pm
I'm with Brian - eagerly anticipating your amazing handiwork!

Great visiting with the Chicagoland family recently, too!   
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 2:00pm
Still using Opel for machine work Alan? This project, by the look of the pictures, does not look as daunting as some of your others. Is this project more on your own since it’s at your house?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Still using Opel for machine work Alan? This project, by the look of the pictures, does not look as daunting as some of your others. Is this project more on your own since it’s at your house?

Yeah Gary , I've always had good results with Opel Engineering so this will go to him. Don't let the pictures fool you, although not as bad as the last two it's still not as nice as the pictures make it out to be.

I wanted to do this one at my house because that 4 hour round trip every Saturday to the farm started to take it's toll on me. At home I can get my 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon nap in and then get back to work.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 3:06pm
Makes sense on the travel for sure. I just had Ted just do some work for me, done when he said it would be.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 7:25am
Woohoo!
Another "Alan's-craftsmanship-by-my-morning-coffee" thread!!
Looking forward to the evolution of this one…

It is in the best hands possible.

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2019 at 3:04pm
I've got a couple of days worth of work on the boat now. First was to remove all hardware, interior, engine bay stuff. Someone either didn't trust this boat or was over the top safety conscious because it had 2 batteries, 2 bilge pumps, 2 blowers and 3 fire extinguishers in it. they also spent a lot of time rewiring the entire boat, it looks serviceable and I should be able to keep most of it.

Then I started striping varnish, knocking bungs out and removing screws. This was a little bit of a bitch because the boat has been refastened at some point and the bungs were glued in pretty good, original bungs pop right out but these new ones are a bugger. I ended up fashioning two small chisels out of some nail sets and that works good but it's still time consuming. So after one full day I'm about half way through one side, it's coming apart without too much trouble yet

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2019 at 3:13pm
The top deck had been repaired and partially replaced and it really looks pretty solid, there is one odd detail that is going to have to be corrected thought. If you look closely at the rear deck you can see that the wide red planking is 1" wider on the starboard side than the port.. On closer inspection it appears that the entire center blond panel was moved to the left for some reason and is no longer centered. there is actually a 1" filler strip on the starboard side, it's bizarre and I don't see why it was done unless it was a mistake that they just didn't feel like pulling apart and fixing.   Anyway, I will tackle that later on in the process.

The boat has good bones and other than a few soft spots in the inner side planking I haven't found anything unexpected.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2019 at 8:37pm
Jumping in for the ride as well
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 12:58pm
Wow! This will be fun to watch. This makes my “restoration” project look like child’s play.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2019 at 10:40am
Making some headway on the port side, all the wood is off and stem and chine landings are cleaned up. All looks good there, nice and solid.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2019 at 10:44am
What I did find was quite a mess from whoever replaced the deck. The top frame member must have been rotted so it was replaced but they used more plywood patches and 5200 adhesive that anything and patched it back together. I've removed all that garbage and will have to do some rebuilding there before the side goes back on. This is what it looked like for about 7' length of the boat up near the bow.

And here is a look at some of their joinery skills. This was underneath that mess.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2019 at 10:54am
So after getting the sides cleaned up I decided to investigate the transom and see how sound it was. I pulled the bottom plank and found what I expected. The transom was replaced but they did not replace the inner ply so it was original and in need of a trash bag.

The lower frame and both side frames will have to get replaced. I'll get the rest of the transom off on the next garage day and see what the rest of the framework looks like. All in all a very productive couple of days.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2019 at 10:37am
Pulled the transom off the boat this weekend and found this interesting detail. Can't really tell if this is a factory piece of wood or if it was replaced when the deck was done but someone had a bad day with the drill. Those pencil lines were on there and are centered to the boat, That's how far off the lift ring is from center and they built the rear deck around it.

No choice but to pull this all apart and put it back correctly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2019 at 10:46am
The transom was a bugger to get apart, any time you're working with a repaired boat the task is going to take you twice as long because of 5200 and epoxy. Todd came up for the day to help out and it took us about half a day to get that transom apart without destroying everything. I was trying to save as much as possible to use for templates. Most of it came out in bits but we were able to come up with enough to use as templates later. Went to the lumber yard Sunday to grab a few sticks of lumber to rebuild the transom. I also have some leftover wood from the Hurricane and Todd dropped off some nice planks left over from the Commuter that we'll use to replace some of the side planking. May be on to a good name for her "Pot Luck"
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2019 at 2:48pm
shes going to be a another beauty!   POT LUCK
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

May be on to a good name for her "Pot Luck"

Or maybe "Mish Mash" "Miss Mash"

Looking good Alan but we wouldn't expect anything less from you Master Magicman.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2019 at 11:47am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Pulled the transom off the boat this weekend and found this interesting detail. Can't really tell if this is a factory piece of wood or if it was replaced when the deck was done but someone had a bad day with the drill. Those pencil lines were on there and are centered to the boat, That's how far off the lift ring is from center and they built the rear deck around it.

No choice but to pull this all apart and put it back correctly.

I think you have this all wrong, Obviously CorrectCraft was way ahead of the competition here. First they located the weight in the boat perfectly to ensure it was level while riding down the lake with the average size male in the drivers seat, then they painstakingly found the exact center of gravity of the boat to know where to install the lifting ring. Then they designed the asymmetrical rear deck around the lifting ring location using a perfect vanishing point perspective so that without a ruler one would never know the back deck was not perfectly symmetric.   Truly nautical art, I am surprised you didn’t appreciate it right away.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2019 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I think you have this all wrong, Obviously CorrectCraft was way ahead of the competition here. First they located the weight in the boat perfectly to ensure it was level while riding down the lake with the average size male in the drivers seat, then they painstakingly found the exact center of gravity of the boat to know where to install the lifting ring. Then they designed the asymmetrical rear deck around the lifting ring location using a perfect vanishing point perspective so that without a ruler one would never know the back deck was not perfectly symmetric.   Truly nautical art, I am surprised you didn’t appreciate it right away.

If anyone could make sense of it I knew it would be Joe!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2019 at 12:30pm
Had another good day Saturday with a full day helper again, Todd made the trek up so instead of working on the transom we decided to strip the starboard side off the boat. Much easier with 2 people. We stripped varnish, knocked out all those plugs, removed screws and we're able to pull all the planking and inner layer off in one day. We were beat but what a great days work. This side was in much better shape than the port with very few repairs so we didn't have to fight with much 5200.

After Todd left I started pulling apart every other set of knee braces, cut new ones and got them Cpes'd. I also made a buck in the radius of the transom so I can start steam bending the frame pieces, hope to start on that after I finish with all the knees.   

We made a pretty good mess Saturday

Time is against me for the next couple of weeks with the holidays and some major maintenance projects at work. We're painting walls, putting new epoxy floors in the shop and moving in a new piece of equipment. Lots of work for what is typically a week off, oh well!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2020 at 11:14am
Started working on the transom framework. Had to build a steam box. Nothing fancy, just some scraps from previous projects and an old garment steamer.

Then built a buck matching the transom radius to bend the frame pieces. I don't think Correct Craft steamed these when they built the boat because there were just layers upon layers of ring nails holding it together, seems like they just added a piece and nailed the crap out of it, repeat.

I decided to go with the same approach I did on the Hurricane which was to laminate the frame pieces together with epoxy. Fitted the pieces individually and then built some temporary framework into the transom to fasten to while the epoxy cures.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2020 at 11:17am
The Glue up..

And the finished product after a coat of CPES. Hope to get these installed this weekend.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2020 at 5:03pm
This massive engine hatch is a problem I'm going to have to address sooner than later. It probably weighs 40-50 lbs.

I can see where it slammed open at one time, I'm assuming the chain and little #8 screw that was holding it pulled out of the frame and let it slam on the deck. The wood around the hinges is all broken away from that.

Then once I got under the deck I noticed that it also slammed closed because that frame member is also broken. This thing is so heavy I won't feel comfortable with it until I come up with some way to prevent that from happening again. Maybe try to hide a gas shock somewhere. I have time to figure it out but I don't want anyone's missing fingers on my conscience

Open to suggestions from the engineering crowd.   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2020 at 5:28pm
How to size and select gas shocks

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2020 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

How to size and select gas shocks

Thanks for the chart Pete, That will be helpful. Any other ideas other than gas shocks? I hate the idea of putting them on but I can't leave this hatch as it is.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2020 at 6:23pm
https://bennetttrimtabs.com/product/hatch-lifting-systems/

Larger offshore powerboats use this type of hatch lift system. It's powered for both open and close so the hatch can never swing freely. It wouldn't let the hatch flop all the way open like it currently does - but you may not need it to open that far for service on the water. You can pull the pin and flip it all the way open if needed for service in the garage. It's not original but it will be safe, and not much more invasive than gas shocks.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2020 at 6:34pm
Is it out of the question to split the hatch? How’s the Hurricane configured?

That does look like a heavy beast.

How about some old window weights and pulleys? More period correct?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2020 at 6:40pm
Alan,
Like Tim, the thought of splitting the cover did come to my mind. If split in 3 sections with a unhinged removable king plank would keep the symmetry. Certainly not original but doable.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic