NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stuck valve covers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
WakeskateNW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stuck valve covers
    Posted: November-11-2019 at 5:59pm
any tricks or advice for removing stubborn valve covers? I want to replace the gasket since I already have the manifolds off. Been trying to break loose by tapping all around the sides near the top edge with a rubber mallet without any luck; to the point where I'm starting make small dents in the side. I definitely don't want to ruin anything, so figured I'd see what others have done in this situation.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 6:15pm
I have a large headed rubber mallet that has always worked without denting.
The head is about 3" flat faced.
A couple good whacks and they pop.
If this does not work can you take a putty knife and work it in from any location you can force it in and start working around. Putty knifes are flexible so it should be able to enter without doing damage to your cover or the head.
Mark
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 6:39pm
thanks mark. , poked a putty knife through in one corner and was eventually able to break it free from there. feeling a little under equipped now though with my wimpy 2" lol
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 8:49pm
Glad it worked. Good reason to go buy a new tool! I always aquire tools while doing a Job.
It is easy to justify. Just remind yourself you saved money doing the job yourself so you deserve it!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 9:55pm
Thats pretty much the way I see it as well. I honestly couldn't afford this boat if I had to pay someone to else to work on it.

Unfortunately 100% of the cork gasket stayed stuck to the head when the valve cover popped off. Thats gonna be a fun job!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2019 at 5:34pm
Fel-Pro makes rubberized silicone gaskets with a solid core to replace the cork.
They are about 4 times the cost but are reuseable and reliable.
I have grown to hate working with cork but it does work and is cheap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic