NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop for showteam pulling

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop for showteam pulling
    Posted: November-12-2019 at 7:57am
As some of you know, my '89 is not used just to parade on the water or on the trailer, or even only cruise to a sandbar or beach…
She also pulls our showteam: MaasMasters Waterski Showteam
For pulling our 4-tier pyramid, we had a twin-rig boat from one of our members. But due to too many discussions with him and difference of opinions, this boat is no longer available.

Last winter I upgraded my boat with GT40P heads (again a chance for me to express my gratitude to Joe - gt40KS!) which resulted in a nice increase of power and a big smile on my face

Now, regarding that 4-tier pyramid, which requires me to pull 12 skiers off the dock... I managed to get them all off once last season, but the boat lacks just that little "oompf", and the skiërs (six base with six on the shoulders) have to "plow" in the water before getting up ...
Contacted ACME and asked if they had a better prop (than my 1442) that could maybe just get that little extra pull required. They suggested the ACME 1598.

Specs of both props:
- ACME 1442: diameter 13 1/4, pitch: 15, cup: .090
- ACME 1598: diameter: 13, pitch: 14, cup: .080

I have always had great service from the guys at ACME and do trust their suggestion, but I just wanted some insight of fellow members here that have experience in showteam skiing and pulling. And also insight from the prop gurus here (Tim Benjamin being the first that pops into my head).
And I also know that holeshot is inversely proportional to top speed. But changing a prop only takes me 15 minutes, so that is no biggie to me. Anyything for the team ey

Thanks for any advise

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 9:16am
1598 would be a step in the right direction. While in show ski mode, are you still trying to retain some top end for some acts? If so, what speeds and loads? If not, you could prop down even further.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 10:32am
Tim,

If top end is needed, we have our second boat (1991 SN) that can pull the barefoot and slalom acts.
So mine would be used for the pyramids, double and trio acts, swivel… So no high speeds required (all around 20 MPH).
I need pull pull pull
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 12:05pm
Trialing props could be expensive for you. What do you have access to?

We ran a 540 on an Excalibur SN200.

Getting a 4 high off the dock is going to be a struggle for any 1 prop.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 12:13pm
In that case I would opt for a prop that will pull harder out of the water rather than something that will still give reasonable all around performance and speed.

To do that you want to drop more in pitch and maximize blade surface area- so go larger in diameter and move to a 4-blade.

If looking used, something like a 208/480 (13x12.5) would do well without breaking the bank. If going new, a 2160 (13.5x13.75) would pull hard but I’d like to see even less pitch... like a 3032 (14x12). That would really pull. Delta will have the best prices (not sure if being overseas changes things) but buying direct from Acme will give you a chance to try multiple props if you aren’t happy with the first (you’ll pay full retail for the privilege).
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 2:36pm
I knew you would not fail me Obi-Wan-TRBenj-Kenobi!!

Thanks for the great info! (Oh, and BTW, all my props and my friends props come from Delta Prop ).

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 7:32pm
More like Obi-Wan-Jabroni
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 8:24pm
More like Obi-Wants-Da Boni
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2019 at 2:37pm
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic