NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

95 Pro Boss Drain Plug Issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 95 Pro Boss Drain Plug Issue
    Posted: November-12-2019 at 8:59pm
I need to place my boat outside for a couple months so I went ahead and drained the block and exhaust as a precaution today. We only get below freezing a few days per year but with my bad luck I figure be safe not sorry.
All my plugs pulled easily and none were plugged so no issues there and this is the first time I drained this engine in 5 years, it has been resting inside most of that time when not in use.
What I found odd was the driver side of my engine drained clean with no rusty water both block and exhaust.
My passenger side of this engine drained with lots of rust and sediment pouring out of both the block and the exhaust??? Made a mess on my carpet and left a lot of sediment in the boat bottom to be washed out. I found this to be odd and I am trying to figure out why the difference. Both sides run at the same temps, checked last year after going through the Raw Water Pump issue.   I am thinking maybe the passenger side receives more water flow or pressure carrying the sediment to this side, but why rust on this side and clean on the drivers side.
I am hoping someone can un confuse me. I am not worried as previous boats had so much rust I had to dig the rust out with a Nail to get my drain plugs to actually drain. Both sides in this boat drained fast and with no blockage. It just has me wondering why.
Thanks
Mark
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 10:08am
I'm thinking that what I'm thinking may be all screwed up, but ya never know

Your engine doesn't sit perfectly level even though it's a lot closer to level than a boat with a 1 to 1 transmission..

The port side drain(I used port to keep Pete happy) is at the back of the block at a low point where sediment can collect. The same sediment can collect in the same spot on the right hand side but with the drain plug up front and a little higher up due to the mounting angle, you don't get any sediment unless there's a whole big bunch of it collected on that side of the engine

Now for your PCM exhaust manifolds, since both manifolds are the same and can mount on either side of the engine, the inlet connection on one side becomes the outlet when mounted on the other side. (the risers just get flipped around)

If you poke your finger in the hole and wiggle it around there's a lot more room in the left side drain hole where sediment can collect as compared to the right side drain where there's a lot more restriction and those rusty "corn flakes" get trapped in a tight area upstream of the hole with some poking and wiggling in the hole you might dislodge some pieces and be able to dig them out.

You might have to look at and look inside the manifolds to understand this

So what this means to me is that you're getting sediment out of the left side of the engine and the left side manifold and it's getting stuck in there and building up on the right side.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 11:56am
In the future, a small piece of step flashing will redirect draining water into the bilge.

Be sure to probe those holes, corrosion and sediment are typical in all of them. I’d be more skeptical of the one that drained clean than the one that didn’t.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 12:29pm
Also a good deflector is an old license plate, dust pan, beer can, shoe, etc
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 1:52pm
Thanks for the explanation and it now makes perfect sense, I never looked at it from the lack of level perspective..   I blew water into the exhausts with my garden hose and let it drain a couple more times.   I went into this project with a 16 penny nail in my hand ready to dig out the crud since that has been the norm with my other boats. Never needed the nail and that first plug squirted just fine but I was not prepared.
I had to use a little soap and water to clean my carpet mess,   Assuming did what it always does and bit me with a nice rust mark on my carpet that did wash right out with a little soapy water and a hose.   Today I still have a fan running trying to get it dry again before I wrap up the boat to put it outside.
Have a couple house and car projects to be done and I want the garage space for these winter projects.   Hate to put the boat out.   Wish I had a larger garage! Thanks again.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 9:04pm
I imagine you still have that "not very expensive" but effective cover from a few years back

The one with the jowls up front
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 10:44pm
Yep, I almost sent you a note earlier Thanking once again for the $40 cover advice.
I put it on but I also purchased a heavy duty tarp that is 12 x 20 and put it over the entire thing. So one cotton cover, 1 waterproof cover and a tarp. I have over the years created a method of running a support strap from the front to the rear of the boat with a variety of things inside to keep the cover up and help water drain off. I can hit the boat with a hose full blast and all water flows right off. I hope this set up gives me a couple months protection.   Last year I had to put it out in 3 weeks of rain and it was bone dry after that.
My fingers are crossed. A larger garage would avoid this and keep the boat in better shape.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic