Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gt-40p

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tcapra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcapra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gt-40p
    Posted: November-14-2019 at 7:07pm
Looking at a set of gt-40p heads. Only question is, does anyone know if they are compatible with the old log commander manifolds. I have a pcm 351 standard rotation in my 68 that I’ve dressed up to look as period correct as I could. Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2019 at 7:16pm
How about Yes, somebody knows and Yes they'll fit and you'll have easier spark plug access as an added bonus

Head bolt holes have to be drilled out to 17/32 inch for the 351
Tcapra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcapra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2019 at 7:20pm
It’s as easy that?? Just drill em out and slap em on??
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2019 at 7:48pm
Since it's fairly easy to figure out that you're looking at a pair for 500 bucks on the FB page ask him if they've been drilled out already and if they have brass freeze plugs installed.

Hope you're talking price with him too since you can get a freshly refurbished pair from someplace like Clearwater Cylinder Head for not much more with free shipping and they'll drill them and put in the brass plugs too for maybe a little extra charge and there'll be a warranty

Just slap em on if they're drilled out.

Edit, prices were higher than I thought so 500 may not be too bad, but that's only the "asking price"
Tcapra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcapra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2019 at 7:57pm
Hahaha yea, I’ve been going back n forth on putting them on for some time now. Those popped up and were calling my name. Ok I’ll talk to him. Shipping from Florida to California May not be all that cheap
Tcapra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcapra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2019 at 8:15pm
In all sincerity, the boat runs great as is. Intake, cam, carb, ignition really woke it up. Is it worth tearing it apart?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2019 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Tcapra Tcapra wrote:

In all sincerity, the boat runs great as is. Intake, cam, carb, ignition really woke it up. Is it worth tearing it apart?

That's probably up to you and your throttle hand

They definitely add some power, but if it runs great, maybe you should leave it alone till it needs some work then do the heads at that time.

You'll probably get every opinion under the sun as far as what you should do   
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2019 at 9:18pm
There are many shops in California that could rebuild a set of heads for you.
I have seen several sets of used AFR Heads on Craigslist in the past year that were in the $,1000 range and they would add even more performance.
$500 plus freight of at least $75. Find a local set.
You are in Livermore, M&M Heads in Hayward is one source to try.
The owner of M&M has a brother with a Head shop in Livermore but I do not recall his name. Call and tell them what you want. There are other shops in the area you could research.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2019 at 11:15pm
Also depending on what rockers you have on your current heads you may have to change them as well if you go the P route. Later model Fords use a pedestal rocker like these-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 12:18am
That "IT RUNS GREAT AS IS" thing can hold a guy back. My last boat had a 350 Chevy, I aquired all the parts to pull that engine and make a strong 383 out of it.
I had all the parts including some AFR heads and a set of pistons ready to go but never pulled that good running 350 out. Sold the boat, now the parts may make it into a 66 Chevy in the garage so I won't waste them. It is easy to upgrade when they break, hard to do when they are running perfectly.
Tcapra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcapra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 12:30am
Yup, my dad always told me “if ain’t broke, don’t fix it. The engine only has 400 hours on it and with the few upgrades I’ve already done, runs like a sewing machine and has way more power than the original 318. And it’s not like I’m pulling a slalom course or barefooting. It’s a cocktail cruiser.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2019 at 1:52pm
500 is pretty high cotton for gt 40 P heads , even if they have rocker arms.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic