NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GO see Ford vs Ferrari movie

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GO see Ford vs Ferrari movie
    Posted: November-22-2019 at 1:46am
Heads up. Go see ford vs Ferrari. It is worthy.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 2:15am
Absolutely! Saw it last weekend. Fantastic movie. I came across an interview that Dennis Gage (My Classic Car) did with Carol Shelby on YouTube this evening. It goes about an hour and a half. Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzq4DeTjZ1A

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 4:34am
Saw this movie Tuesday night. Had to talk my wife into going. She is not a car nut.
She liked it more than I did, thought it was a great movie and asked me questions about the accuracy all the way home.
I really enjoyed it and took it for what it was. Pure entertainment although most of the information on Miles was pretty accurate.
Kind of funny to be looking at a 427 Ford FE engine with 8 Webbers on it and they were talking about it bogging due to the vacuum secondaries on the Holley Carb?
Also at one point they were racing in 1964 and the Corvette chasing them had a 1967 stinger hood, it only showed briefly.
This is nit picking though.   Great Movie, so far all guys I talked to about it were surprized how much the ladies liked it.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 8:13am
Here's another great Ford vs Ferrari racing story:

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 10:56am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Absolutely! Saw it last weekend. Fantastic movie.

Wow just wow. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought you of all people would be giving your hard earned money to Matt Damon. You win the lottery or something?
I liked the part where Ford - through their Jaguar division spanked Ferrari hard from 2000 through 2004 in F1
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

[QUOTE=davidg]
I liked the part where Ford - through their Jaguar division spanked Ferrari hard from 2000 through 2004 in F1

Must be some snarkasm in the quote

Haven't seen the movie but this spanking might take a little explaining since the F1 champion in all of those years 00-04 was named Michael Schumacher and drove a car that started With F and ended in errari.

I must be missing something.

Where are my marbles?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 11:33am
I am looking forward to seeing the movie. Did the movie show that Ferrari went to Lemans and get the 427 disqualified for the next year? Gary what's wrong with giving money to Matt Damon?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 11:50am
Bruce if you remember Dave’s posts from the past his views are 180 from Mr Damon. I’m just surprised he’s a contributor
Ken I’m a big MS fan
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I am looking forward to seeing the movie. Did the movie show that Ferrari went to Lemans and get the 427 disqualified for the next year? Gary what's wrong with giving money to Matt Damon?

If you watch the YouTube link to the Carol Shelby interview, he did mention that the 427 was disqualified for '68 and '69, but, Ford won anyway with the 289 (or similar small block). He mentioned that by then Ford was able to get similar power and reliability out of the small block as the big block. Didn't something similar happen in NASCAR with the Dodge Daytona wing and/or Hemi engine back around '70?

Shelby also mentioned in the interview that he was the one that wanted the three Fords to cross the line together but he has felt guilt all these years about Miles not winning because of that. If he had let Ken stretch his legs and run, he would have won the Triple Crown of the races associated with LeMans (forget what they are). He also talked about that fact that he was sick of the politics at Ford by '68 and was checked out. He just wanted to go to Africa and see the country while it was still Africa.

Okay, I am rambling. Got to go. Dames and I are heading to the airport to take my G4 to a Trump rally with the wives tonight!! I just told him to keep quiet and act. We could care less about each others politics.   
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 1:10pm
As I remember, Ferrari got the 427 disqualified by convincing LeMans to have a cubic inch limit. With NASCA, Ford wanted to run the Cammer that they were developing and Chrysler got it DQd as they said it was not a production engine, which it wasn't. As a result, Ford never developed it for the car market and they were only used for drag racing.

I like MD movies but turn the channel if he opens his mouth about politics. He's from Cambridge Mass, what can you expect?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 8:02pm
Riley, Ferrari did not want the change in engines, it was the sanctioning body, they had cars approaching 230 MPH and big worries about danger. They cut the engine to 5.0L.

It actually pissed Ferrari off because their whole engine program had been upgraded to beat the 427 Ford.   Ferrari pulled completely out of Lemans for the next year due to this rule change. They had other teams that Ran Ferrari cars but were not part of the factory team.
Those guys were all left hung out to dry due to Ferrari pulling out.
The only Ferrari's to run that year were older models that ran the smaller engines and were not Factory supported. At least that is what I read.   
There were other classes that allowed the larger engines, there were 2 teams that entered in 427 Corvettes but they were a factory stock type class where the GT40 was an unlimited class.
I have heard before that Ferrari asked for the rule change but according to what I read today that was not the case.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 2:10am
Just saw the movie tonight, highly recommend it. Great story, great racing scenes and tension throughout. The acting was off the charts, Damon was excellent as usual but Christian Bale was just amazing and the various character actors were very well cast. Highly recommend it.

Nice to see a driver slamming his left foot down on the clutch and grabbing the shifter, can't imagine how much energy those guys expended over hours of racing.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 4:57am
I have yet to talk with anyone who saw this movie that did not like it a lot.
Of course most of my friends are Car People with toys in the garage but many of the wifes loved it.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 6:42am
Fantastic movie. Great story. See it!

I hope someone makes a Movie about Mark Donahue and “The Unfair Advantage”. That would be a great Story!
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 11:09pm
A friend of mine's dad owned and raced this GT40 back in the 70's.
I remember sitting in it and thinking how the hell can anyone drive this.
My head was jammed into the roof and my feet were squeezed together in the footwell and I could barely get in and out of it. The guys that raced these where badass!

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2019 at 11:24pm
There is a line in the movie, and I've read it elsewhere, saying the Ferrari's were works of art, the Fords no so much. No question Ferrari has made some of the most gorgeous cars ever, but Ford GT's were incredibly good looking cars. Power, style, the chopped rear end .... just love it.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2019 at 12:01am
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2019 at 10:59am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Riley, Ferrari did not want the change in engines, it was the sanctioning body, they had cars approaching 230 MPH and big worries about danger. They cut the engine to 5.0L.

I guess it depends on the source. I read what I posted in a 427 Forum article that was pro Ford. Ferrari has made the most beautiful cars in the world, but that Ford GT is right up there with them. I had a friend that bought a new Ford GT that Ford sold in the early (2000's?). He paid MSRP and thought the car was a bargain.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2019 at 11:29am
One of our local car dealers has a show every year. Being a Ford fan I had to check out the Ford GT that was there, first time I had been that close to one. There also was a very late model McLaren there as well. Sadly the Ford seemed more like a kit car along side the fit and finish of the McLaren. So many Porsche’s and Ferrari’s they started to blend in like Toyota’s and Honda’s. I must be getting old, but the new Corvette looks interesting. I have to wonder how they are going to get the price to start at 60. I think my Avalanche was somewhere near that and it sure has a lot of plastic in it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2019 at 11:42am
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

My head was jammed into the roof and my feet were squeezed together in the footwell and I could barely get in and out of it. The guys that raced these where badass!    

Sean you needed a Gurney bubble! In the November issue of popular mechanics they interviewed Mario Andretti about driving the GT40 - he said I have no interest in vintage racing. Your not supposed to push the limit. I survived that era so I’d hate to kill myself in one of those cars now
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2019 at 11:59am
Gurney was definitely a bad ass. Imagine driving over 200 at Le Mans at night with your helmet jammed into a bubble. His line of sight was probably more roof than windshield.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2020 at 9:35pm
two thumbs up! Went to see it this past saturday with the Olsons....our wives seemed to enjoy it and even "Mr Chevy".....backfoot 100 liked it.!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic