NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Autolite 104 vs. AP104

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autolite 104 vs. AP104
    Posted: November-24-2019 at 8:55pm
The recommended plug for the SBF High Output engine (GT-40 heads) is the Autolite 764. It is my understanding that the 764 is being replaced by the 104. The basic difference is that the 764 has 1/2 threads and the 104 has full threads.

Assuming that the Autolite 104 is the "new" recommended plug, I noticed in the Autolite plug chart that the Copper Core 104, the Platinum AP104, the Double Platinum APP104 and the Iridium XP104 are all the same size, threads, reach, projection, heat range, etc.

The local price for the Copper Core 104 and the Platinum AP104 is the same. Any reason to stay with the Copper Core in favor of the Platinum? Background: I'm running an H.E.I. system (DUI) which many say works well with the platinum plugs.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 7:42am
This could turn into the typical "this or that debate"   

I've used both and had no problems or huge noticeable improvements with either and really no differences except the platinum tips last longer

I get the feeling that you change your plugs often enough that longevity won't matter to you though.    
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 3:12pm
It's not my intent to start a spark plug war...there are plenty of threads here and other similar sites where debates seem to roll on into perpetuity...

KENO: I think you've answered my question that the platinum plug will work fine with the HEI system. Since the cost is nearly identical, I'll give the platinum plugs a try.

This will make some people crazy, but I change my plugs out every year or two -- not because they need changing, but because I like tinkering. The same goes for the raw-water impeller, trans fluid, fuel/water filter/separator, red tail-light oil, rotate the air in the trailer tires, PCV valve, etc. The OCD voices in my head are telling me to re-torque the intake manifold bolts...again.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

It's not my intent to start a spark plug war...there are plenty of threads here and other similar sites where debates seem to roll on into perpetuity...

KENO: I think you've answered my question that the platinum plug will work fine with the HEI system. Since the cost is nearly identical, I'll give the platinum plugs a try.

This will make some people crazy, but I change my plugs out every year or two -- not because they need changing, but because I like tinkering. The same goes for the raw-water impeller, trans fluid, fuel/water filter/separator, red tail-light oil, rotate the air in the trailer tires, PCV valve, etc. The OCD voices in my head are telling me to re-torque the intake manifold bolts...again.

JQ

Just curious JQ, is that red taillight oil synthetic and how much zinc and phosphorus does it have in it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

JQ

Just curious JQ, is that red taillight oil synthetic and how much zinc and phosphorus does it have in it?

How fortuitous that you should ask...the ONLY BRAND that goes in my red tail-lights is Red Line.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic