NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Twin-Engine Fish Nautique #2

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 7:40pm
Quite a number of places that marinize the Mazda engines.

A Google search will get you there   

Here's one of those places in the link click on the catalog

link

The outfit in NY that did Jeff's engines is out of business it looks like

Big heavy boat, I figure they used a gear reduction transmission like a Hurth with a 2.03 to 1 reduction ratio and pretty normal sized props, but that's just me figurin' or maybe looking at one of Jeff's pictures earlier in the thread

Originally posted by NautiqueJeff NautiqueJeff wrote:

For some unknown reason I have this wild urge to put one of those engines in a 16 ft Mustang. Just one would do.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 10:05pm
Mother of pearl. That’s bad ass.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Quite a number of places that marinize the Mazda engines.

A Google search will get you there   

Here's one of those places in the link click on the catalog

link

The outfit in NY that did Jeff's engines is out of business it looks like

Big heavy boat, I figure they used a gear reduction transmission like a Hurth with a 2.03 to 1 reduction ratio and pretty normal sized props, but that's just me figurin' or maybe looking at one of Jeff's pictures earlier in the thread

For some unknown reason I have this wild urge to put one of those engines in a 16 ft Mustang. Just one would do.

A 13B turbo was one of the most exciting race car drives I’ve ever experienced. Not the wildest, but clearly memorable to this day and that was in 1986.
NautiqueJeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 11:16pm
I have not looked at prop numbers, sizes, pitch, etc., but just from a visual perspective, the props on this 1983 look significantly bigger than the ones on the 1981.

Above are the props on the 1981 with the V6 engines.
Below are the props on this boat (1983 with the rotary engines).

Current Boats: 1998 Ski Nautique, 2000 Sport Nautique, 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (twin-engine), 1981 Fish Nautique (twin-engine), 1980 Fish Nautique (twin-engine)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 11:20pm
There is a place in Kannapolis (a couple towns over from me in Mooresville) that works on these engines, and even has experience with marine rotary engines. I may swing this by there and see if they think anything is salvageable.

http://www.rotorsportsracing.com
Current Boats: 1998 Ski Nautique, 2000 Sport Nautique, 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (twin-engine), 1981 Fish Nautique (twin-engine), 1980 Fish Nautique (twin-engine)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 11:35pm
Not that this letter means anything at all about its condition now, but I thought this was a pretty cool piece of documentation that came with the boat.

rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 2:42am
I can verify that having been on Sea Nautique I can not recommend buying one to fish for dolphin in , You will get sea sick.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 7:52am

I have zero experience with rotary engines. Who knows? Maybe they'll fire right up. .

Did the seller give you any indication of the engine(s) condition?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 9:31am
Ran when parked
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 12:22pm
"Does not run, but quick, cheap, easy, simple fix"
1993R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1993R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 12:30pm
I would use a 50:1 or 40:1 premix to fire them off at a minimum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 12:45pm
No, there was no indication that anything works from the seller. If something does, I'll just be that much happier.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2019 at 1:24am
I think I'd have a hard time tossing out the cool factor of the wankels in favor of V6's. Very neat project Jeff!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2019 at 7:58am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I think I'd have a hard time tossing out the cool factor of the wankels in favor of V6's. Very neat project Jeff!

What he said
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2019 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

What he said

2 X What he said
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2019 at 9:41pm
Guess I'm the only naysayer,turn them into anchors. They must not have been that great or everyone would have had them in their product line up. Plus the fact that they were not in the boat to begin with. Having to rebuild 2 questionable power units plus refurbish the boat will get you upside down fast
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2019 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Guess I'm the only naysayer,turn them into anchors. They must not have been that great or everyone would have had them in their product line up. Plus the fact that they were not in the boat to begin with. Having to rebuild 2 questionable power units plus refurbish the boat will get you upside down fast

Gary,
I don't think you are the only naysayer:
Originally posted by 1993R 1993R wrote:

I would look at putting the straight 6's back in the boat if thats what came with it.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I too would be inclined to go back to the 6's. Where they straights or V's? PCM's? What were they? .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 12:09am
Yeah, I am kind of torn on this one.

I am going to run the boat by the shop in Kannapolis that rebuilds these engines and see what they think. They have some experience with these in marine applications. If the cost is going to be crazy with unknown results I may go back to something more normal.

One other thing to consider is that if I do end up swapping them out, I'd need new transmissions and props too. If I rebuild these, the gears and props should still work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 12:14am

Having to rebuild 2 questionable power units plus refurbish the boat will get you upside down fast

You're probably right on that. I am still not sure what I am going to do with this boat. I will probably keep it and restore it, but I may sell it as-is if someone wants it and would be willing to save it. I just don't want to see a rare twin-engine Fish Nautique end up in the landfill.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 8:00am

One other thing to consider is that if I do end up swapping them out, I'd need new transmissions and props too. If I rebuild these, the gears and props should still work.

Don't give up on those trans's yet. Think about all the boats out there running reductions and big aggressive props.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
1993R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1993R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 2:30pm
old discussion I found on same issue:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/183119-rotary-engine.html
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 3:01pm
Link not working Pete, I’d fix it but I’m on my phone
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 3:03pm

Link not working Pete, I’d fix it but I’m on my phone

Trying but we've got some internet problems up here today.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 3:13pm
[QUOTE=1993R] old discussion I found on same issue:

Here's a direct link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 3:16pm
And another link to more reading

link
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 10:02pm
Link to video of Wankel Rotary race boat. Sounds pretty cool.

LINK to Video

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 9:49am
Wonder what the logic was in converting the boat to Wankels?
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 11:29am
All things considered. My preference would be a donor boat or two , with a couple of useable engines and running gear. Something close to oem or better. K.I.S.S.
Really like the wankel idea but seems unrealistic now
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 1:10pm

Good point Gary, it's easy for someone like me to say "go with the rotary's" when it's not my time and money on the line! Or maybe I could suggest Jeff put a couple of Ilmor's in there.

But ..... if you grab a pair of 6 cylinders, and let's say at a minimum you have to refresh the top end, and maybe carbs need rebuild, and on it goes ..... I'm not sure that if you have someone knowledgable look at these engines that they won't give you the straight scoop, like "we have to tear them both down, new apex seals, blah blah blah and our estimate is $6,500 for the pair", in which case you move on and look elsewhere. If instead they say "let's spin them and check compression, if the seals are good we can clean them up, make sure fuel and ignition are working well, and fire them up" then why not give it a shot?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 2:50pm
I agree Dave but since Jeff is close by to someone who is in the know with them it would not hurt to ask. They might tell him don't try starting them without doing x,x and x and might know someone looking to buy unmolested complete units which would maybe help offset new power. Like Bruce I wonder as well why someone would put them in,most with those boats want mileage- it almost like Joe or Tim took up fishing......
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic