NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SBF log manifolds wanted

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SBF log manifolds wanted
    Posted: December-11-2019 at 9:52am
I have a friend that is looking for SBF log manifolds, preferably Interceptors, but will consider any log type.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2019 at 1:45pm
Where is your friend located? I have a set of Commander log manifolds that can be seen either in Providence RI or Wakefield NH. They polished up well but sat in a boat outdoors for 20yrs with water in the elbows. The elbows are badly corroded inside and may need replacement. If he is interested in a project, he's welcome to make me an offer. I won't likely get to them any time soon and they're taking up space.

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47040
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2019 at 4:16pm
Were they installed upside down? How else does an elbow like that hold water?
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2019 at 5:35pm
The boat was left outdoors with no engine cover and no intake manifold. I'd assume rain got in there somehow, or perhaps they were never drained when the boat was parked.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2019 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Were they installed upside down? How else does an elbow like that hold water?

As HW mentioned, the only way water would get trapped in the elbows is if they were mounted upside-down. If mounted normally, the porting from the cooling jacket side allows water to drain by gravity into the exhaust cavities.

Perhaps you missed this from your previous post?

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Yes, Joe is correct that there are holes between the exhaust and water cavities in the elbows. That's where the water enters the exhaust. Pressure test the manifolds before fighting with getting the elbows off.

BTW, having the manifolds exposed would not cause the erosion but if, they were ever run without cooling water, it doesn't take long for the hot exhaust gases to trash aluminum manifolds.

Did you ever get a chance to pressure test the manifolds?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2019 at 6:55pm
No, I still haven’t pressure tested them. They’re in my parts pile in a corner, behind the motor and transmission I’m building for my MGA.

I don’t know how or why water got in there, but about a cup poured out of each when I removed them from the parts boat. It had rained over the week prior to Tim and I retrieving the boat.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2019 at 8:09pm
MGA ? Tell me more. After 37 years I just sold mine to my second cousin so I still have visitation rights. Here it is in its new Indianapolis home-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2019 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

MGA ? Tell me more.

1961 1600 roadster. My dad bought it in 1996, we ripped it apart and got it back on the road in 1999. I bought it from him in 2009. During the restoration we sent the body and powertrain out for rebuild while we handled disassembly and reassembly - this was the first major project for my dad and I. Turns out the bodywork was done really well but the engine work was not. I lost oil pressure on the highway last summer and spun the #3 rod bearing. It's a 5-main 1800 MGB motor. Yanked it out, bored 30 over and 10/10 under on the crank, line bored the mains, acquired high comp pistons and a fast road cam, and it's slowly going back together. I also took the opportunity to acquire a 5spd Ford T9 trans and hi-gear conversion kit. This turned into a circus because hi-gear told me that any T9 would fit. I bought a T9 transmission, had it fully rebuilt, and it doesn't work with the conversion kit. So now I'm having the conversion kit machined so it will all work together. Hopefully will get it back on the road before this coming summer. I had just replaced the front shocks and rebuilt the front seats with new foam when I lost the motor. She's a wonderful car when running.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2019 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

MGA ? Tell me more.

1961 1600 roadster. My dad bought it in 1996, we ripped it apart and got it back on the road in 1999. I bought it from him in 2009. During the restoration we sent the body and powertrain out for rebuild while we handled disassembly and reassembly - this was the first major project for my dad and I. Turns out the bodywork was done really well but the engine work was not. I lost oil pressure on the highway last summer and spun the #3 rod bearing. It's a 5-main 1800 MGB motor. Yanked it out, bored 30 over and 10/10 under on the crank, line bored the mains, acquired high comp pistons and a fast road cam, and it's slowly going back together. I also took the opportunity to acquire a 5spd Ford T9 trans and hi-gear conversion kit. This turned into a circus because hi-gear told me that any T9 would fit. I bought a T9 transmission, had it fully rebuilt, and it doesn't work with the conversion kit. So now I'm having the conversion kit machined so it will all work together. Hopefully will get it back on the road before this coming summer. I had just replaced the front shocks and rebuilt the front seats with new foam when I lost the motor. She's a wonderful car when running.

Can I guess? Colts Drive State Park?
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2019 at 1:07pm
Yes, that was the British Invasion car show at Colt State Park in Bristol RI
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2019 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

Yes, that was the British Invasion car show at Colt State Park in Bristol RI

Spent my first 31 years in Rhode Island, still love visiting.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2019 at 1:40pm
Looks like every British car show- park them on the grass so the oil stains don't show .....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2019 at 6:02pm
This is true. If it stops leaking oil, it's empty!

Same goes for the Jeeps and Harleys I've owned
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2020 at 1:50am
I have a decent pair of aluminum Interceptor manifolds for a 351W, I no longer need them. Call if interested: 864 638 0999
Striving for mediocrity !
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 9:51am
Nautius, I forwarded your info to the person. Thank you
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2020 at 12:35am
If the Interceptor is a 260, 289, or 302, a current 320/351 manifold will fit. If the Interceptor is a 292 0r a 312, good luck! After much searching I found one for the 1961 we have at the factory, but they just are no more new ones.

I have a pair of 302/351 manifolds and risers that I would like to sell. 50% of SkiDim price. They are aftermarket replacements made exactly like PCM manifolds. I have both 3" and 3-1/2" risers for them. An owner bought them new, ran them for about 30 hours and his engine blew up; I replaced the engine with a GM and kept the manifolds for part of the labor charge.
"Art"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2020 at 9:27am
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

If the Interceptor is a 292 0r a 312, good luck! After much searching I found one for the 1961 we have at the factory, but they just are no more new ones.

Art,
Did the Y block manifold burn thru into the water jacket? The aluminums do have a tendency to do that if cooling water is lost. If it happens again, just send the manifold to Crow for a repair. Better to keep it original than having to go with the heavy cast iron Osco's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2020 at 9:36am
Hi Art, This person is looking for Interceptor logs for a Windsor engine as he knows they fill fit under the motor box. I haven't talked with him lately. He may have found some.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2020 at 11:42am
Hope that he found suitable ones. I was able to fit PCM manifolds under the motor box on a 1968 Barracuda by taking them to a machine shop and having the flanges on the exhaust ports machined at an angle enough to make the manifold tilt slightly toward the center of the engine.. That gave enough clearance for the risers to fit under the box.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2020 at 11:57am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

If the Interceptor is a 292 0r a 312, good luck! After much searching I found one for the 1961 we have at the factory, but they just are no more new ones.

Art,
Did the Y block manifold burn thru into the water jacket? The aluminums do have a tendency to do that if cooling water is lost. If it happens again, just send the manifold to Crow for a repair. Better to keep it original than having to go with the heavy cast iron Osco's.

Pete, as far as I know, Osco is out of business. I had tried years ago to get a pair of 292/312 manifolds from them and they said they hadn't made any of them in years. I called when I was going to replace this one, and no response online or by phone. Their dealer here in Orlando told me they are gone.

The end cap on one manifold had a huge hole eroded and burned through into the water side. (nearly the size of a quarter coin) I routed out the remainder of that wall and had a machine shop make a 1/4" plate to fit in the space and weld it in, then surface grind the cap. .I have a rather lengthy and interesting story about this engine. Maybe I'll see you at the SJRR. Or I can PM you my phone number.
"Art"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2020 at 12:09pm
Coicindence “Osco” manifolds (and pcms, etc) might haven been made by Osco foundry? The foundry is still around I think. I’m pretty sure they don’t want to setup a disa to run 2 parts...

osco industries
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2020 at 12:17pm

Hope that he found suitable ones. I was able to fit PCM manifolds under the motor box on a 1968 Barracuda by taking them to a machine shop and having the flanges on the exhaust ports machined at an angle enough to make the manifold tilt slightly toward the center of the engine.. That gave enough clearance for the risers to fit under the box.

Art, I'll pass that along as he is repowering a Barracuda. Thanks.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2020 at 12:57pm
I repowered the Barr with a 351. If he's using a GM I don't know offhand what the width difference might be. Of course a 302 will fit.
"Art"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2020 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Coicindence “Osco” manifolds (and pcms, etc) might haven been made by Osco foundry? The foundry is still around I think. I’m pretty sure they don’t want to setup a disa to run 2 parts...

osco industries

The quality manager and one of the sales guys were here yesterday - definitely the foundry is still around -next time they are in I ll inquire if they are one and the same and if they still have tooling
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic