Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chocolate Shake in my bilge

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
56collegiate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 56collegiate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chocolate Shake in my bilge
    Posted: September-22-2006 at 1:39pm
I finally got my 1956 correct craft running in the driveway (whoohoo). When we put her in the water and power to the transmission, oil pressure drops, and I get the dreaded oil/water foam in my bilge. The crankcase oil looks fine, but we lost about 2 quarts on a 10 minute ride. She has an original 292 yblock mated to the orginal velvet drive ( I think ) tranny. This tranny shares the engine oil pump for hydraulic pressure. I just had the transmission overhauled this winter.

My question is how do I troubleshoot the problem? I need to isolate it to the tranny (send back to rebuilder) or start work on the engine rebuild .....

Any help on how to isolate the problem is appreciated.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 2:03pm
Step 1: post a diary entry with pictures.

Step 2: i don't know.

hope this helps!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 2:21pm
Well not a velvet drive transmission if it is sharing oil pressure but thats not too important. Lets get a good set of pics on how that tranny is mated to the engine, what hoses go where etc. I imagine you could run it without the tranny attached somehow and see if the oil leak still happens. If you run it on a hose in the driveway would you be able to locate where the oil is actually leaking in the bilge. I am guessing this boat is going to have a very wet bilge anytime its in the water until you get her tightened up? cool boat
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 2:23pm
I could have read a bit better I guess since you state the problem occurs in the water and when in gear.. still going to need pics, and is there any kind of transmission cooler?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 56collegiate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 3:00pm
thanks for all the responses --- I will post pictures / more detail tonight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 56collegiate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 5:20pm
here are the images of engine / tranny. I will post a diary as well.

When I run it in the driveway, there is no appreciable oil pressure loss. I have had it up to nearly 5000 RPM in the driveway with no noticeable oil pressure changes.

The bilge is quite wet and as you can see from the pictures, there is little room to observe much under the engine / transmission.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 6:55pm
I would disconnect the coupling on the prop shaft from the tranny so that you can put the tranny in gear in the drive and find out where that 2 qt's is going, It shouldn't take long to find just rinse out the bilge with castrol super clean and hose it down so it's nice and clean then it will be easy to see once it sttarts to pour into the bilge. Places to check are the oil lines going to the cooler, fittings on both ends, timing cover seals behind the balancer, ,belhousing/rear main seal, output shaft on the tranny. Go to the auto parts store and get one of those small mirrors that you can change the angle on and look under the oil pan and tranny for cracks. I would focus on the tranny section since it has to be in gear before the pressure drops.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2006 at 8:11am
i think, not positive that it is a dearborn trans,
boat doc, does the trans you have look like this?
56, what did you use as a gasket between the engine and trans? i dont think thats it though, the leak must be on the pressure side somewhere, supply hose? crack somewhere?. buy an extension mirror and try to look underneath. i dont think that you run any type of cooler
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 56collegiate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 9:54am
I am not aware of a cooler. I do suspect the high pressure line. Each side is connected with a 90 degree threaded coupling as shown below.

If they are leaking, how do I remove/replace? Cut the hose, remove fittings, and buy a complete replacement set?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 4:52pm
those are push lock fittings, if you have enough hose cut out bad area and push back on, i would also suspect that the leak is coming form the fittings look closely. is there a tag on the trans? im curious it looks like a trans i just rebuilt about a month ago and most of the parts inside crossed over to a ford fmx transmission. you can adjust reverse on these externally if you ever need too.
can i ask what they charged you to overhaul the trans?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 56collegiate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 10:39pm
There is a tag on the tranny, but it is the Interceptor tag for the engine serial #. The tranny does have F-M 107 stamped on the side.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 7:30am
fm107 i believe that means ford motor i remember seeing those numbers ot the trans i did, let me know how it works eric
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic