NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unleaded gas

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
359 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 359 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unleaded gas
    Posted: December-16-2019 at 12:35pm
How concerned should I be about running unleaded in my boat when the engine tag says to use unleaded only? It's an 1988 2001.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2019 at 12:42pm
Zippo nada zilch
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2019 at 12:48pm
Matt,
If you want to fatten the coffers of the "lead additive" manufacturer, then go ahead and use the snake oil. If not, then take Tom's advice above.

EDIT:
Matt, now I'm confused.

Originally posted by 359 359 wrote:

How concerned should I be about running unleaded in my boat when the engine tag says to use unleaded only? It's an 1988 2001.

What type of fuel are you concerned with? Your post states unleaded twice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2019 at 10:09pm
Here's a picture of a sticker from the mid to late 80's saying to use leaded only.

Like has already been said, running unleaded is just fine in spite of that sticker. You might say they got smarter/got more experience and changed their recommendations as time went on and lead started disappearing

No engine issues due to unleaded and at least Pete will agree with me that 10% ethanol will present no issues either.

Well maybe one issue..............you won't spend as much on replacing spark plugs since they last a lot longer without being crapped up with lead deposits   

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2019 at 11:30pm
[...zipping up flameproof suit...]

The "lead" in the "leaded" gasoline is tetraethyl lead or "TEL". The TEL additive was used as an octane booster/enhancer. This meant that "cheaper" or less-refined gasoline could meet a higher octane rating than the same gas without the TEL. The main reasons that TEL was eliminated from gasoline were 1) lead is toxic to animals and the environment, and 2) TEL in the fuel adversely affected the ability of the catalyst to remove hydrocarbons from the exhaust. Laws were then passed making it illegal to put leaded gasoline into a vehicle marked "Unleaded Gasoline Only". As such, the major refiners simply stopped producing/selling leaded gasoline to the motoring public. 100 octane "low lead" gasoline is still available as an aviation fuel.

One side "benefit" of TEL is that the additive is a type of lubricant for the intake valve guides. For many years, engines were designed to run with leaded fuel and intake valve guides performed as advertised. When TEL was no longer available in gasoline, some engines experienced premature wear/failure in intake valve guides that was attributed to a lack of lubricant. If you are worried about valve guide lubricant, there are fuel additive options for consideration. My personal favorite is made by Lucas -- Fuel Treatment and Upper Cylinder Lubricant. Snake oil? Not in my mind.

You could always go to your local municipal airport and see if they will sell you some 100 LL av-gas...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
359 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 359 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2019 at 10:27am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Matt,
If you want to fatten the coffers of the "lead additive" manufacturer, then go ahead and use the snake oil. If not, then take Tom's advice above.

EDIT:
Matt, now I'm confused.

What type of fuel are you concerned with? Your post states unleaded twice.
sorry, I meant to say the tag says to use leaded only and unleaded only in an emergency.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2019 at 12:26pm
359:

Go with quality "top tier" gasoline that is at least 89 Octane rating and you will be OK. If you can get "pure gasoline" (no ethanol) in your area, that is a better fuel for older engines -- as the ethanol is a solvent and can attack certain rubber components that were not specifically engineered for use with ethanol. A little Lucas Fuel Treatment couldn't hurt...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2019 at 1:23pm
I've been running ethanol blended fuel in my 88 for 18 years and have never had a fuel issue yet ( knock knock knock on wood). I do recommend changing the main fuel line from the tank to the fuel/water separator and from it to the Fuel Pump with a Coast Guard to an ethanol approved fuel line as ethanol fuels will deteriorate the OEM neoprene fuel line.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2019 at 2:12pm
JQ,
I have a feeling you've been inhaling too much of that Lucas vapor or at least listening to too much of their marketing hype.

I, like Tim have had no problems with ethanol and Ken O has even said the same. I've been running it since it's inception in my 54, 64 and 77.

Keep smelling that Lucas and keep their coffers full!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2019 at 3:41pm
JQ, I think you did a good job of explaining the fuel change away from Lead.
One thing I think you may have mis understood. It was the Valve Seats that were failing not the Valve Guides. Lead lubricated the valve seats and enhanced valve seat life.

Engine rebuilders soon figured out that an old engine that had been running on leaded fuel had no problems with un leaded gas. The theory was that years of running leaded fuel pounded enough lead into those seats that they were protected and worked fine.

If the shop rebuilt head, and ground the seats while doing the valve job they would send out those heads and they would fail quickly, the valve seats would pound out and the valve heads would be recessed into the seats.

The solution became installing hardened valve seats which avoided the pound out issue and lasted a full life. Prior to unleaded fuel the valve seats in the heads were cut right into the cast iron head material and this worked fine with leaded fuel but cast iron was not hard enough for un leaded fuel. Hard valve seats allowed them to fix cast iron heads so they would work with unleaded fuel. FYI: for propane or natural gas engines there is even less lubrication for the valve seats so it is mandatory they run hardened seats.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2019 at 8:50pm
Pete I think your being a little harsh. It is none of your business on what someone spends their money on. It is easy to sit back now and tell someone your opinions about the deletion of lead in motor fuel but in context, it was unknown at the time what would actually happen.
PCM advised to use an additive in their engines,do you read your Subaru's manual and then do the opposite of what they recommend? I would not like to think that you do but once again that is your choice. Dad bought a new boat in 88 at today's equivalent of 43K. A couple of bucks a bottle in that context did not matter to keep a warranty in effect.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2019 at 8:57pm
It is my understanding that Ford started to induction harden their exhaust seats on cast iron heads which eventually would work through the PCM system.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2019 at 9:01pm
McD:

Correct about the valve seat failure after the removal of TEL from fuel. If my now aging memory serves...valve guides were also a problem for several years until engine manufacturers tweaked the metallurgy.

When I was turning wrenches for a living, the phase-out of leaded gasoline was in full swing. I believe that catalytic converters were mandated in late 1970's model vehicles and forward. The full ban on leaded fuel was in the early 1990's if I recall.

As for ethanol-blended fuels....I've worked in the refining industry since 2001. As a general rule, the refining industry does NOT like ethanol. Lots of reasons for that attitude -- some of which are obvious. Anyway, my industry experience has tainted my viewpoint such that I get up on a soapbox and encourage those around me to boycott ethanol when possible/reasonable. Some listen...many don't. I'll keep the message going.....where's that megaphone?

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2019 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

McD:
When I was turning wrenches for a living, the phase-out of leaded gasoline was in full swing. I believe that catalytic converters were mandated in late 1970's model vehicles and forward. The full ban on leaded fuel was in the early 1990's if I recall.

I believe it was 1975 for catalytic converters and air pumps. Dad had a 71 Caddy with a 472ci towing an Airstream. Got a great deal on a 76 with a 500ci. Didn't pull as well as the 71 so he bought a how to book on how to remove all the emission controls. Converters,air pump and removal of the gas filler restrictor made it as good as the 71.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2019 at 9:45pm
Ethanol has some disadvantages and some advantages. Racers have figured out they can run more timing or turbo boost on ethanol and make lots of power.
My son is a turbo tuner. He has an A6 Audi V8 twin turbo making 800 HP on Ethanol, he also has a twin turbo Corvette making nearly 900 HP. I know if he switches back to gasoline the Vette only made 738 HP.   But it uses more fuel to do this so your miles per gallon will be way off running ethanol.
JQ, I do not remember issues with the Valve guides at the fuel change to unleaded. They are oil lubricated, metered by the valve stem seals and should not be affected.
You are correct though they migrated from bronze or cast iron to a Manganese Phosphate Valve guides for durability. Today in Diesel Engines they use the Manganese Phosphate to coat piston ring lands, Piston Pin holes and Valve guides because it increased the durability. It allows the parts to work with less oil and less wear, pretty cool stuff.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2019 at 12:42am
My take on ethanol...

Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) in motor fuels in the USA is commonly derived from corn. As such ethanol is “corn alcohol”. Ethanol blends very well with gasoline. However, ethanol is hygroscopic to the extent that it readily absorbs water from the air. Ethanol is also hydrophilic, so it dissolves in water. Ethanol likes to be blended with water better than with gasoline. The problems start when water is introduced into the fuel system. The bad ju-ju happens with ethanol-blended gasoline when the ethanol portion takes up enough water to cause phase separation in the fuel tank. “Phase separation” occurs when water in the fuel system is attracted to the ethanol, causing the ethanol and water to mix and separate from the gasoline. This ethanol/water mixture is denser than gasoline, so it sinks to the bottom of the fuel tank. Mix in a little oxygen and that ethanol/water mix is a good formula for rust. It doesn’t take much imagination to figure out how a little water can get into a boat’s fuel system.

On the positive side of things, ethanol has some motor fuel benefits. Pure ethanol has an octane rating of 113. As such, using ethanol as a gasoline additive can increase the octane rating of the gasoline. This is one of the main reasons why ethanol is used. As MdD pointed out, racers have been using alcohol successfully for many years. One note, however, ethanol contains about 30 percent less energy per unit volume than gasoline. As a result, a 10 percent ethanol-gasoline blend will have 97 percent as much energy as gasoline.

Other octane boosting additives are also used in the refining industry, such as MTBE or BTEX. MTBE is an acronym for Methyl Tert-Butyl Ether, and BTEX stands for Benzyne Toluene, Ethylbenzene and Xylene (aromatic hydrocarbons).

MTBE has been blamed for groundwater contamination and its use in motor fuels has diminished significantly. BTEX is fairly widely used today but has also been blamed for groundwater contamination. Let’s face it…the "B" in BTEX is benzyne -- and benzyne is a known carcinogen.

Refineries have the ability and technology to produce high-octane gasoline that has NO ethanol, BTEX or MTBE. It just costs more. John Q. Public wants low gasoline prices, so additives are needed. Of the 3 mentioned above, ethanol may be the best low-cost, environmentally-friendly choice for today's modern motor vehicles and engines. Personally, I prefer a higher-quality gasoline without the additives. I'm willing to pay more. Ethanol-free gasoline is available in Utah. That's all I put in my vehicles. It typically costs 20¢ more than mid-grade. I work very hard to keep ethanol-blended gasoline out of my Ski Nautique, houseboat and small engines.

Now, how about Universal Basic Income?

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2019 at 8:53am

So..............just to get back to 359's original question

Same answer as given earlier by a handful of people. No problem on your 88 engine
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2019 at 9:10am
Here's a link to an easy to read article from somebody not on their own self proclaimed soap box

link
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2019 at 1:14pm
Manganese phosphate wouldn’t last a few Revolutions but there have been lots of developments that do work.

https://www.costex.com/Library/technical-bulletin/engine-valve-alloys-coatings.pdf
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2019 at 9:28pm
Some Reading about things Manganese Phosphate is used on today.
The piston in this flyer is for the Cummins ISX, one of the most popular Diesel Truck engines on the road. These use over 30 pounds of turbo boost and are expected to live as much as one million miles. This is a long term coating used to help the part under severe pressure live. https://dieselcranks.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/FP-Diesel-ISX15-QSX15-Powerforged-Pistons.pdf   The initial comment was this was used on some Valve guides as an upgrade many years ago, at least back to the 1990's.. Piston applications of this are new in the last 10 years.
The flyer does not state it but the same coating was also used to coat the piston ring landing on this piston. Same reason, they want the ring lands to live longer for better ring seal as the engine ages.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2019 at 9:34pm
Manganese phosphate as a coating on valve seats won’t substitute for removal of lead. I also remember unleaded fuel and cats coming together in 1975 when my parents helped my brother and I get a car. I wanted a civic or a rabbit but we wound up with a disappointing substitute that I’m ashamed to even mention.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2019 at 9:55pm
Must have been pretty bad Pete if a Rabbit was your top pick
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2019 at 10:13pm
I'm gonna guess it was a Ford Pinto

And nothing on it was manganese phosphate coated

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2019 at 10:29pm
Or the distant "cousin" to the Pinto:

AKA "the pregnant lemon"
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2019 at 11:21pm
Well I was speaking from experience........

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2019 at 12:54am
You guys. OMG how I love this place.

KENO WINS! Well the reason I wanted a rabbit was that it could run from 0-60 in under 10 seconds and the forgettable Ford was closer to 12. I got my Rabbit many years later as a GTI, but zenithed at an early Honda CRX that turned into a serious trophy-getter. Yeah there wasn’t much in the way of corrosion protection on the Ford but it usually died of other causes before rust took its toll, especially in the hands of two high school boys.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2019 at 7:59am
Look at that............................I'm a wiener

At least that's what my wife tells me

I should be driving one of these

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2019 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

I wanted a civic or a rabbit but we wound up with a disappointing substitute that I’m ashamed to even mention.

Holy smackdown Mervin, what could possibly be more shameful then either of the above? Was it hard to drive with a constant wedgie?

My first car was a 66' GTO that I bought at 15yo, my folks were horrified when I came home with it, as it turned out, justifiably so, lol
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2019 at 4:55pm
This was my Parent’s idea to buy an econobox for my brother and I to drive to High School a few miles away. We both bought our own cars as soon as we could save up enough. My brother wrecked the Pinto thankfully and I was able to buy a Euro Spec 3.0 V6 Capri from a returning serviceman and also a 1970 Dodge Dart 340 Swinger which we kind of slowly converted to a street racer. The Capri led me into a preference for small affordable sedans for road racing and time trialing as well as Solo II Autocrossing. The Dart was a real blast. The Honda CRX I eventually bought new was a giant killer on the auto cross circuit. I am a very late arrival on the boating scene, but it’s grown a lot on me and it’s kind of a substitute for having a muscle car in the garage.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2019 at 5:35pm
My parents were horrified by the race car garage that became of the space they kept the family car. We had two street lights one on either side of our house that represented a benchmark for burnout length. A few rear ends and driveshafts gave themselves up between them and necessary repairs took place in the driveway since nobody could afford to have anyone fix their cars. The neighbors were pretty glad I’m sure to see the four boys in my family head off to college and allow the tranquility of our street to return after the onslaught.

I suspect many of us in this site gave our parents tremendous grief due to our natural mechanical curiosity.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic