Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Boat Lift

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Boat Lift
    Posted: January-03-2020 at 4:58pm
Looking for input on an overhead sling style lift. I purchased a used electric 4000# lift and after wading around my channel swamp area where I live, I don't think it is deep enough within the 50' from shore DNR deal to sit. I figure I need about 3.5' of water to have ski boat clearance 93SN. I measured from my trailer and from the waterline on the boat to figure out how far under water the boards need to be.

What's a good overhead lift or anyone think I could convert the one I have?

- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2020 at 11:28am
Fred,
What's the lift you purchased? Is it cradled of a cantilever? What's "the 50' from shore DNR deal to sit" Different states have different DNR regulations. Riparian rights?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2020 at 12:02pm
It a #4000 electric Hewitt.   It is a cantilever. A dock without permit can only extend 50 from shore and/or only be so many square feet and only so wide.   I have done some searches for sling style; but, not with much luck. I see some really nice permanent style big post boat dock shelters. Actually, my issue is not the 50' thing; but, I think I could only extend out maybe another 6' before I encroach on the 'navigation channel'
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2020 at 11:32pm
Fred,
This is a Shoremaster cantilever. It's in about 24" of water in the front and 30" in the back. NO problem with ether my Tique or the X55.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2020 at 11:51pm
I have a similar Hewitt lift. The front is normally in about 20” of water and it was hard to get the boat off the lift during a drought. I dug down under the feet and lowered it 2-3” this fall, hopefully that will help next spring. If you can get the front ends of the boards just barely under water it will work fine.

I’ve never seen a free standing sling lift - only see those in boat houses up here.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2020 at 11:14am
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

I’ve never seen a free standing sling lift - only see those in boat houses up here.

Free standing slings used to be everywhere up here 40 years ago, then replaced by steel cantilever lifts, and then the aluminum vertical/cantilever lifts. We still have one steel sling hoist at my sisters camp holding a late 50s open aluminum sea nymph - I bet I have sawzalled apart dozen of them over the years. I used to consider them heavy and ugly but considering that most hoists now have canopies that make them heavy, ugly, and relatively complicated maybe they are due for a comeback.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2020 at 3:08pm
Does anybody use the "air bladder" system??   Air pumped into tank that displaces the water and makes it float then depletes the air and makes it sink. Looks like a simple system but must be a reason they are not popular. Air compressor, valve system and some hoses is all that is needed. Kinda like a floating dock compared to a sinking dock.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2020 at 9:26pm
Love the pontoon! We share a Weeres with our friends the Wightmans in Tennessee. Bought it from my brother. Great boat. We love it. Dont see many of these around.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2020 at 12:29am
Duane, that kind of lift is pretty much the standard down here. I am guessing because we don’t freeze so they don’t have to come out in the fall. If folks have big boat houses, they may have some kind of hoist/sling/lifting ring system, (Reid comes to mind) but I’ve also seen a bunch with the air tank systems. Greg Fossett has a nice one, integrated into his floating dock. I don’t think they do real well in real shallow water like the OP has tho, those bladder tanks are fairly large/deep. I think HydroHoist is the prevalent brand.

https://www.boatlift.com/boat-lifts/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic