NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help please

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help please
    Posted: January-12-2020 at 7:24pm
79 FN 454 , 1410 carb. Pertronox dist and wires..
5 months ago it was running perfect when she started this weekend and it's missing at idle and when first giving it gas..
Eliminated spark plugs. Cannot figure it out and don't know where to go next
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2020 at 12:42am
You can dry out the inside of the distributor cap with contact cleaner, or even WD40.

Also you can pull 1 spark plug wire at a time to see which one is missing. Then change that wire to another plug to see if problem follows.

The EI module itself may have failed - they can do so without warning.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2020 at 1:02am
There is no external module with this distributor.
Possibly wet inside ( thanks)
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2020 at 8:36pm
Distributor cap was dry and apparently good. I did notice as I pull one wire off at a time off the distributor cap it doesn't seem to run any worse which is very puzzling only makes a difference on two or three of them which makes me wonder if it's a bad distributor although I do see spark
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Tko87 Tko87 wrote:

makes me wonder if it's a bad distributor although I do see spark

How did you check for spark? Timing light?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 10:24am

I use one of these

tester
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 11:14am
I checked the timing with the timing light and it is good as far as spark go I just lifted the wire off of the cap however the spark look kind of weak but I'm really not sure how it's supposed to look
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 12:08pm
So let's see.................it runs, I think that tells you that you have spark

It runs good at higher speeds it sounds like

Have you looked at the carburetor at all?

I'd look down the throats (primary and secondary) and make sure there are no drips/visible gas when it's idling.

If there are drips, it will clear up with more throttle many times and run good above idle/low RPM.

On a 1410 Edelbrock it's fairly easy to remove the top and check the bowls for junk.

You might want a gasket on hand before you start in case it tears, but they're pretty tough and can be reused if not torn.
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 12:51pm
So the carburetor is only 7 months old but I understand it could have a problem.... I'll try to be specific as possible...it's starting to even miss at higher RPMs so the problem appears to be getting worse... I will definitely do what you told me to do..
definitely backfires when first giving it gas. But then there is also a steady Miss...
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 3:33pm
well boys decided to pull off the valve covers and not good news to broken pushrods and 3 bent pushrods and water in the oil on the port side... With a 350 engine mount in the same place as the 454?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Tko87 Tko87 wrote:

well boys decided to pull off the valve covers and not good news to broken pushrods and 3 bent pushrods and water in the oil on the port side... With a 350 engine mount in the same place as the 454?

Well at least you found the problem

A 350 will swap in easily if that's what you want to do.

The mounts are the same and the position on the engine is the same too.

The bellhousing is the same and if they both rotate the same direction, there's a good chance the starter from the 454 will work too.

The flywheels won't interchange but if you get a 350 flywheel with the same diameter/number of teeth as your 454 you should be good. That would probably be a 14 inch flywheel.

The damper plate will swap from one to the other, but if it's old you may want to swap it while things are apart.

The Borg Warner 72C will work with no problem with the 350.

And of course the exhaust manifolds are completely different

The distributor will interchange though with no issues.

That's kinda a quick overview., you'll have some research to do depending on the year of the 350.

And don't worry.........somebody will want to know why you don't want to fix the 454 but that's your decision.
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 7:05pm
You are awesome. The reason is, and tell me if this makes sense. I will have a lot more room to work with the 350 when something goes wrong.... I can get a complete 350 engine for much cheaper. Cost really isn't that big of an issue but these books did come with a 350 to begin with ( I think )
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic