Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

coil and points

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ryjamsan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryjamsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: coil and points
    Posted: January-14-2020 at 10:40pm
Hello Gents
I purchased a complete HEI dist coil wires cap kit for a 75 Ford 302
The Gear turned the wrong way and would no fit
I decided I could just swap out the gear from my old corroded dist. Nope The old gear has a shaft ID of .457, the new Dist has a shaft ID of .497 so no luck

WTH so its on the way back to the seller

This 302 spins clockwise as it should. Why would the gear be backwards( the dist turns counterclockwise as it should.

Anyway I found an original 302 Dist online in working order with new points condenser and very clean
Comes in sat

So the question is what kind of Coil do I need?
Ryjamsan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryjamsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 10:51pm
also point gap should be 17 and dwell between 25 to 30?
This should right?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 11:13pm
James,
Your old RR gear needs to be bored out to fit the new HEI. There are a couple threads on it here.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ryjamsan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryjamsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 11:25pm
my local machine shop cant bore it. that was my fist thought and course of action
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Ryjamsan Ryjamsan wrote:

my local machine shop cant bore it. that was my fist thought and course of action

Why not??????
Also are you purchasing "MARINE" units??
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 10:09am
[QUOTE=Ryjamsan]This 302 spins clockwise as it should. Why would the gear be backwards( the dist turns counterclockwise as it should./QUOTE]

Which end of the engine are you viewing from???
If looking from the front to the transom as you should, then it should spin CCW. Both distributors will spin CCW looking down from the top when installed.

What boat do you have?
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Which end of the engine are you viewing from???
If looking from the front to the transom as you should, then it should spin CCW.

Uh Duane, you're gonna confuse people, I think all the smoke from those 70 birthday candles the other day affected you.

Your way is bass ackwards, although it makes sense for a car application   

In the marine world, you look from the back of the engine at the flywheel to determine rotation and a reverse rotating engine would be Clockwise

Reverse rotation = Clockwise = Backwards sometimes spelled as Backerds on CCF

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 12:46pm
KenO. Is my glass half empty or half full?   Ur right. Still can’t figure out why his shop can’t bore a hole. I should grind up a reamer and rent it out.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Ryjamsan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryjamsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 3:37pm
Cant make a shop ream it if they say they cant
His reasoning is that its hardened and tempered steel
I guess we don't have as good of machine shops as you do up north

ITs a mute point now I returned the part and bought a used refurbished Dist from a guy who had a 30 marine engine. It has points but its better than nothing
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 3:57pm
Nothing wrong with points other than having to do routine maintenance. It is not a bad idea to check under the dizzy cap once a year anyway, if nothing else to oil the weights.

An argument can be made that EI gives better fuel economy, maybe true but doubt you could measure it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 6:21pm

I guess we don't have as good of machine shops as you do up north

ITs a mute point now I returned the part and bought a used refurbished Dist from a guy who had a 30 marine engine. It has points but its better than nothing

Like you said, it hardly matters now but your old gear from a 75 RR 302 would have been some pretty easy drilling/honing cast iron   

also point gap should be 17 and dwell between 25 to 30?
This should right?

Not knowing what brand your distributor is, those are pretty good generic numbers, keeping in mind that if you change the gap the dwell changes and if you change the dwell the gap changes   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Like you said, it hardly matters now but your old gear from a 75 RR 302 would have been some pretty easy drilling/honing cast iron   

I agree.
I sure hope your mechanic is better working on engines than he is with machining metal. The bore of the gear is not hard like he thinks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2020 at 10:07am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I sure hope your mechanic is better working on engines than he is with machining metal. The bore of the gear is not hard like he thinks.

Pete, Please don't be spreading that around cause you are going to make me have to warranty all the gears I have done for CCF on here!!
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2020 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Pete, Please don't be spreading that around cause you are going to make me have to warranty all the gears I have done for CCF on here!!

Duane,
I don't feel you have anything to worry about since without any doubt, the re bores you made were perfect.

Too bad James didn't come here first and get better info before he returned the HEI.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2020 at 9:26am
To increase dwell you have to decrease the point gap and vice versa . Always set the dwell then the ignition timing . Changing dwell also changes timing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic