Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Priming Fuel Filter Canister?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Priming Fuel Filter Canister?
    Posted: January-15-2020 at 7:01pm
Hi- I recently replaced the fuel/water separator filter on my 89 SN 2001. It’s the filter with the original canister. I emptied and cleaned out the canister prior to installing the new filter. Now, I’m not getting gas to coming out of the fuel pump to the carburetor. I am getting the air pulses coming from the fuel pump, just no gas. Tried cranking many times. Do you have to prime the pump or fill the canister after installation prior to restarting? There is a brass plug at the top of the canister but I’m not sure what it’s for. What am I missing?   Thanks for any help here! -Gene
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 8:05pm
You displaced gas with air. Is gonna pump air for a while.

The little plug at the bottom of the canister is a drain. You’ll only further displace gas with air if you remove it.

Yes, I would have done what I could to refill the canister with gas before reinstalling.
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 8:19pm
Thanks. I literally tried to crank the engine for an hour or so being careful not to over heat the starter. I took outlet line off of the fuel pump just to confirm no fuel. Is there anything else I should do to get the pump primed? Also, I was referring to the brass plug at the top of the canister (on the lid). What’s it for?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 8:27pm
Probably a vent if you did try to use the bottom drain plug, otherwise you kinda have a vacuum...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 8:46pm
Take the flame arrestor off, dump a little gas down the primary bores of the carburetor and it should fire right up, it may stall once or twice and need another shot of gas each time till the filter canister is full and things are back to normal and it stays running. Rev it up some to get that pump doing some good pumping. and your canister will fill right up.

The fuel pump will suck a lot better when the engine is primed and then running as compared to cranking it over at a few hundred RPM's.

Put the arrestor back in place just in case of a backfire so it can do it's job.

You could also do a shot of starting fluid instead of gas, but that would start way too many arguments about starting fluid

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 9:07pm
Bill

Were you having problems that led to a filter change or were you just changing it as a preventive maintenance type thing?

Only reason I ask is that you've been through a couple of the newer cheaper built Carter mechanical pumps and hopefully another one isn't crapping out on you.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Take the flame arrestor off, dump a little gas down the primary bores of the carburetor and it should fire right up, it may stall once or twice and need another shot of gas each time till the filter canister is full and things are back to normal and it stays running. Rev it up some to get that pump doing some good pumping. and your canister will fill right up.

The fuel pump will suck a lot better when the engine is primed and then running as compared to cranking it over at a few hundred RPM's.

Put the arrestor back in place just in case of a backfire so it can do it's job.

You could also do a shot of starting fluid instead of gas, but that would start way too many arguments about starting fluid

+1

What KENO said. I stay away from starting fluid. I pour a couple of tablespoons of fuel down the carb bore. The engine usually fires off quickly. As Ken said, you may have to do this more than once. Saftety tip...keep the gas container well clear just in case you get a backfire out the carby.

The engine will turn over many more times when fired up from fuel down the carby vs. cranking with the starter. Bad ju-ju for the starter, too.

JQ

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 10:45pm
Preventative. And you’re right and that thought did cross my mind, especially due to the fact that I’m on my 3rd Carter pump in less than a year.

I did try squirting gas down the primary side several times which did start the engine but only until the gas burned away. Wouldn’t keep running. No gas coming from the pump only the air pulses.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2020 at 12:03am
Check the gasket on the filter canister. Don't ask how I know this. It may not be seated or it's not tight enough.
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2020 at 2:18am
Thanks everyone. I’ll check all of these suggestions tomorrow. Really appreciate being able to leverage the expertise on this forum.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2020 at 7:09am
With that extra info, I think Desertskier's suggestion sounds good

If your gasket is tight and the filter is all buttoned up and still no luck, hook up a temporary tank to the pump suction and see if it runs.

If it runs, move the temporary tank back to the filter inlet and see if it runs.

I figure Desertskier has your solution though
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2020 at 2:29pm
I disconnect the hose going from the canister to the fuel pump and hooked a pneumatic pump you would use for bleeding brakes to it. It quickly pulls fuel from the tank primes the canister without running your fuel pump dry.
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2020 at 3:12pm
Great tips. To close this loop, I took off the canister and verified that the seal was intact. Filled it up with gas, re-installed it, squirted the carb with fuel a few more times and it worked. I think the canister was loose and not sealing properly. Great call-out desertskier. Thanks again for all the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic