Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft strut movement

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft strut movement
    Posted: January-28-2020 at 4:32pm
I recently noticed that my shaft strut has a considerable amount of movement when the drive shaft is manipulated by hand. The videos below show this clearly.

https://youtu.be/Y8z3xG-gBw8
https://youtu.be/7paaUG1z8BE

Movement of the bolts inside the bilge when wiggling the shaft:

https://youtu.be/2xSBtdc2Xz0

Clearly the nuts need tightening, or the bolt holes need to be repaired if they've worn out to such a size that it is not possible to tighten the strut down properly.

But:

1. Do I also need to re-align the strut? Or will it be fine just to tighten up the nuts and seal the bolt holes properly (? If possible I want to avoid having to pull the shaft out, but if it must be, it must be.

2. 3M 4200 to seal around the bolts? Or can anyone recommend an alternative (Sikaflex 291 or 292, Soudaflex 40FC, Loctite PL Marine)?

Thanks for any and all help and guidance!
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2020 at 4:58pm
With the strut moving like it is, I highly recommend checking the alignment. Then, bed the complete strut base is 4200 (or equal) as it will bond the strut to the hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2020 at 5:02pm
I’d do that in reverse... the bedding process will change strut position slightly so even if you check the alignment before for a gross check, you’ll need to do it afterwards too..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2020 at 5:56pm
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but is there any way to bed the strut without pulling the shaft out? Or is it impossible to align the strut with the shaft log with the shaft inside both? I want to avoid the coupling removal and reinstall process if possible...
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2020 at 6:01pm
Leave the shaft in. You will use it to align the strut to the log. Have you watched the alignment video? There's a link in the FAQ thread in the maintenance section. How's the cutlass bearing?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2020 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Leave the shaft in. You will use it to align the strut to the log. Have you watched the alignment video? There's a link in the FAQ thread in the maintenance section. How's the cutlass bearing?

I have watched the alignment video, yes - very helpful, thanks.

Cutlass bearing looks fine to me? See below. Doesn't have many hours of use on it - I've had so many dramas with my boat it has spent more time in workshops than in the water.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2020 at 5:28pm
Wilhelm,
Interesting! You have a fabricated strut not cast like the original. What are the 4 round discs next to the strut base?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2020 at 5:44pm
Thru-hull intakes feeding four Jabsco pumps that fill four ballast tanks I've had installed in the boat for wakeboarding.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2020 at 7:18pm
The Strut mount bolts should have never come loose. If the strut was properly bedded with either 4200 or 5200 cement it should have held everything tight for life even the bolts.
Since it is loose I would do as others have recommended. Get the shaft lined up as good as possible to your engine and bed the strut in that spot.
There are discussions about properly bedding the strut, including how some have had to shim with stainless washers or even sand a little on the strut so the proper alignment could be achieved. Don't rush do some reading and you will get it done right the first time.
Do not apply 4200 or 5200 until your strut is test fitted and alignment is good.
If you have to use washers to shim measure them for thickness and mark each for location because once you apply the adhesive you have a window of time till it gets hard on you.   If you are prepared it is not an issue, there is time but if you are fooling around you may be scraping it off for a better second try.   
Quick Note:   The 4200 seems to be more popular on this forum because it is easier to remove should you need to.
The 5200 seems to get harder, stronger and is much harder to remove if you need to do this job again some day.
All boats are subject to the next log that finds a prop and makes you do this job again some day so keep that in mind.
I think the factory used 5200 on install. It is hard stuff.
When I cleaned mine up to start bedding the strut I used an automotive gasket scraper to clean off the old 5200, careful use of the gasket scraper, very sharp 1" scraper and a small rubber mallet giving light taps took the stuff off pretty fast and did not damage my gel coat.   Cleaned the old 5200 off the strut with my bench grinder wire wheel. The area under the strut will be covered for life so minor scratches as you clean will not hurt anything but don't chip the gel coat.
Good Luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 6:21am
Other than Pete's alignment video, this appears to me the most comprehensive discussion of the strut alignment and bedding process? Or are there other threads that will also be helpful?

Thanks again for all the advice and guidance!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 8:02pm
Looks like the link you found covers most concerns about installing a new shaft and strut.
If you have questions just drop a note and help will come along.
Do it right and you will never be disappointed.
The link also points out some pitfalls you can avoid.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2020 at 7:38pm
So I went through the re-bedding process with as much care as I could. I needed a lot of shimming (four washers at the back), so built a new base for the strut with epoxy putty as per the recommendations here, here and here. Despite doing my utmost to align the shaft with the center of the log, when the bedding process was complete and everything dry and tightened, the shaft naturally sits slightly to starboard of center in the log. Not touching the side, but definitely off center. This is also where it was sitting before I removed the strut to re-bed, and because I'm using the same bolt holes to fix the strut to the hull, I suspect the alignment of the bolt holes and how the bolts tighten down in the holes pull the shaft slightly to starboard when tightened. I did my utmost to keep the shaft centered as the strut was pulled tight against the hull after applying adhesive, but seems this wasn't as successful as I hoped it would be.

Be that as it may, I proceeded to align the engine with the shaft. I could not get the engine moved far enough to starboard to align perfectly with the shaft in its natural 'happy place' position - it was off ever so slightly as per the picture below.

However, I pressed (not bolted) the two flanges together and managed to get them within 0.003" parallel all around while pressed together. After bolting them together properly, I can spin the shaft quite easily with one hand, but I did notice a bit of tightness during some part of the shaft's rotation after tightening the coupling bolts down all the way. The tightness only emerges when the bolts are fully tight - anything looser than that (even just a fraction) and there is no tightness at all.

I proceeded to separate the coupling flanges and tried to pry the engine to starboard some more, as I suspected the slight lateral misalignment is causing the bit of tightness in the rotation (I did measure the shaft for straightness with a dial indicator prior to this whole process). No luck. The rear starboard motor mount looks like it has a bit of room left to move the motor to starboard (judging by the marks on the pin - circled in orange in the picture - it looks like the pin has been deeper into the engine mount in the past than what I am able to get it), but try as I might I cannot get the engine to move that last fraction of an inch to starboard.

So my questions now are:

1. Is a bit of tightness in the shaft rotation acceptable at all? If I can spin the shaft with one hand, and rotate the prop with one finger, is that an acceptable level of tightness?

2. If not, any advice as to how to potentially move the motor that last fraction of an inch to starboard?

3. Or should I go through the strut bedding process again and get it better aligned with the shaft log/engine - potentially modifying/covering up existing bolt holes and/or drilling new bolt holes for the strut bolts?

Thanks for any help and guidance here!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2020 at 9:50pm
Wilhelm,
When you had the strut off, did you happen to notice if it's straight? IE: it's not bent and the center of the bore is centered to the base? What I getting at here is if the bore of the strut is towards the port, then the shaft will end up towards the starboard like yours. See if you can get a measurement from the strut to the chines on each side. That should give you an indication that the strut is centered. However, keep in mind these hulls are not the most precise!

Sliding the engine port to starboard or the other way can be frustrating. Some have had to remove the mounts an clean up the pin and it's bore in the mount.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2020 at 8:14pm
I did not specifically measure the strut when it was off, but I did not notice any signs of it being bent.

Measured the strut base to chines, and if anything the strut is mounted a bit to the port side of the center of the hull. Which does suggest that the bolt holes aren't perfectly aligned with the shaft log, hence it sitting a bit to starboard.

Be that as it may, I went through another round of engine alignment. Still couldn't get the coupler flanges perfectly aligned horizontally when they're not pressed together, but it seems I did a better job this time around, as essentially all tightness/binding through the shaft's rotation is now gone. Perhaps my alignment just wasn't as good as I thought it was the first time round.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2020 at 10:22pm
If the coupler halves are not visibly aligned when loose, it seems unlikely they would pass the .003 inch parallelism test when coupled.

Are you lifting the shaft a bit to check?

The feeler check is done before tightening the bolts.

Sorry for the info if you are already aware of this.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2020 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If the coupler halves are not visibly aligned when loose, it seems unlikely they would pass the .003 inch parallelism test when coupled.

This post seems to reinforce the notion in the first that you can force the shafts together and perform an “alignment” from there. On the contrary, if you aren’t aligning the powertrain to where the shaft spins freely in the strut, it doesn’t matter how parallel you can force the faces to be- all you’re doing is dialing in a massive misalignment.

If you can’t get the engine to line up with the shaft when spinning freely, then time to look at the strut again. The pcm mounts have a lot of adjustment in every direction ... if you run out of adjustment then something is WAY off. I suggest a dry fit and mock (gross) alignment check before bedding the strut on a new/re install. Some have been known to bend the strut while installed on the boat, but I suspect Pete would frown upon that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 5:15am

Sure, but with reference to my photo above, the visible misalignment is very slight. If the position in the photo is the starting position (shaft not supported - i.e. lying in the bottom of the log), and assuming the two flanges are perfectly parallel in a horizontal plane (i.e. left to right) at that point, I then need to lift the shaft and move it ever so slightly to port to press the two flanges together. This will cause a slight gap to open up on the left/port side between the two flanges. I can correct this by moving the front of the engine a smidgen to port. So I can get the parallelism within 0.003". To my mind the part of the drive train that will 'feel' this misalignment will be the strut's cutlass bearing - and potentially cause binding if the misalignment is excessive?

Yes.

Understood - I've been doing the feeler check with the flanges just pressed together - no bolts installed at all.

No problem, any and all input is hugely appreciated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 5:31am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If you can’t get the engine to line up with the shaft when spinning freely, then time to look at the strut again.

Post my second round of alignment, the shaft is now spinning much more freely around its full rotation, so I think I'm there. As noted, I can easily spin the shaft with one hand at the coupler. I have yet to fit the prop again (want to do a proper lapping), but in the past (i.e. before I reinstalled the strut, and when I suspect alignment was worse than it currently is) I could rotate the prop with one finger, despite this not being equally effortless around the full rotation.

I suggest a dry fit and mock (gross) alignment check before bedding the strut on a new/re install.

I did this, and thought I had it spot on, but it seems that in the final installation process - specifically when tightening the strut mounting bolts down fully - the shaft gets pulled slightly to starboard (with reference to the center of the log). It was in exactly this position before I removed the strut for the re-bedding process, hence my suspicion that the bolt holes are drilled (or have worn out) in such a way that when the bolts are fully tightened there is this tiny bit of residual misalignment with the log.

Thanks for the advice and guidance!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 8:09am
Either we are speaking different languages or you need to reread my post.

Originally posted by Wilhelm Hertzog Wilhelm Hertzog wrote:

I could not get the engine moved far enough to starboard to align perfectly with the shaft in its natural 'happy place' position - it was off ever so slightly as per the picture below.

However, I pressed (not bolted) the two flanges together and managed to get them within 0.003" parallel all around while pressed together.

^^this implies that you did not align the powertrain to where the shaft spins freely (aka happy place). If this is true, what dd you actually align? Getting the faces parallel is important but only if the shaft is held in the proper place to begin with- and the powertrain moved accordingly (not vice versa). The above picture looks like the engine is off by almost 1/4”, which is significant.

Any misalignment will have effects on both ends of the shaft- uneven strut bearing wear and uneven loading of the transmission.
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2020 at 12:55am
Im sorry for the long wind and dont want to hijack or make enemies.

This is on my mind as well, as im maybe a month or so away from reinstalling the drive line.
I know im going to have to rebed the log just by looking at how the strut was shimmed and mounted, and how the engine mounts are thrown over to port. I just dont want to admit and commit yet.

I seen a video where they figured the weight (including coupling) that needed to be held up so the shaft was straight before they begin alignment. Something about length, weight of coupler, weight and span of the shaft.
They used a chainfall with a scale on it to keep the shaft from sagging at the coupler end, when the scale read the calculated amount then true and accurate alignment was achieved.

If i read and understood a previous post that is what the member is saying ( pick up the coupling end of the shaft, its sagging)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2020 at 8:27am
Yes the shaft will sag under its own weight... one must pick it up and move it to the point where it spins freely in the strut (it should be pretty obvious to feel where this is- especially with a fresh strut bearing) and the powertrain moved to that matching point. If holding the shaft static in that position while manipulating the powertrain movements is helpful then I suppose a chainfall with a scale could do it (though plenty over complicated). Others have used a block of wood under the shaft. I have found that in between making gross adjustments on the powertrain side, simply checking and rechecking (and rechecking) where that happy point is, supporting the shaft with other means isn’t necessary at all. Once the powertrain is close and the coupling halves start to engage, you can continue to check if the shaft is happy or not. That’s always the starting point.

The point being you can’t just force the shaft over to where the powertrain is and expect face parallelism to save you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2020 at 8:53am

The point being you can’t just force the shaft over to where the powertrain is and expect face parallelism to save you.

Point taken. Little weekend project coming up for me...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2020 at 12:39pm
A simple method to center shaft in the magic happy circle is to push it to one side, measure to something, like stringer wall. Do same for other direction. Then do low & high limits.

Cut the ranges in half, & there you go.

Only need a tape measure, but you could even do it with just a pc of string.

Once you have the known center, cut a v notch in a 2x4 to steady shaft as you work with the engine movement.

Also, unless log was replaced at some point, it is most likely the strut position causing your issue. Maybe you could remove strut, get engine reasonably centered, then see how strut matches up to that projection.

Double also - If you remove strut, you can check for true by putting in on a big pc of paper on flat surface, like kitchen counter. Mark the mounting holes, then project down the centers of the bore ends. You will need a big square & some pipe or wood dowel.

I bet you will find it twisted.

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2020 at 10:49am

Double also - If you remove strut, you can check for true by putting in on a big pc of paper on flat surface, like kitchen counter. Mark the mounting holes, then project down the centers of the bore ends. You will need a big square & some pipe or wood dowel.

I bet you will find it twisted.

Bingo. Strut is indeed ever so slightly twisted. Best way to straighten it out? I don't have an old drive shaft that I can use as a lever, and don't want to pull the one from the boat just for this job, so any other advice perhaps?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2020 at 11:06am
Wilhelm,
Although not the best, I have seen struts straightened on the hull with a large pipe wrench and cheater pipe. However, with your fabricated stainless, I'd be real careful on how much stress is placed on the hull. It's really best to remove the strut and get it in a press.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2020 at 10:56pm
This is what I did, but I think it is easier just to buy a new strut.

They are not easy to bend!

Straightening strut

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2020 at 3:15am

Straightening strut

How did you push the cutlass bearing out during the measurement process?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2020 at 10:32am
Most guys are using a threaded rod, nuts, & the right sized washers. A socket would be helpful too,.

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2020 at 1:20pm
Okay to wrap up: I had the strut's mounting bolt holes drilled slightly bigger, and then went through the bedding/bonding process again. The slightly larger holes gave me enough play to get everything lined up right this time round. No tightness anywhere in the rotation anymore. Fitted new Vesconite Hilube cutlass bearings while the strut was off and lapped the prop to the shaft, so hopefully the drivetrain won't have to be pulled apart again for some time now!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2020 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Wilhelm Hertzog Wilhelm Hertzog wrote:

Okay to wrap up: I had the strut's mounting bolt holes drilled slightly bigger, and then went through the bedding/bonding process again. The slightly larger holes gave me enough play to get everything lined up right this time round. No tightness anywhere in the rotation anymore. Fitted new Vesconite Hilube cutlass bearings while the strut was off and lapped the prop to the shaft, so hopefully the drivetrain won't have to be pulled apart again for some time now!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic